PDA

View Full Version : Nose swageing for proper fit

Wayne S
10-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I have a couple of molds that have noses to large to be tight BUT push fit for rounds that have short necks.
I'm thinking about having a custom sizer die made that woulkd swage the nose down to a Dia. that would allow for a tight but puh fit.
Has anyone done/tried this and what were your results ??

leadhead
10-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes, I've done it for a K31 swiss rifle. Made a die for my RCBS sizer and
just run the bullet in nose first. I used the RCBS 165 gr silhoutte bullet,
but I can't remember what size I made the die, but it worked great.
Denny

Wayne S
10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks, did you make the plug that push's the bullet back out have the nose profile of the bullet you were nose sizing so the nose wasn't deformed ??

Buckshot
10-14-2010, 03:22 AM
..............I've made those for a few folks before.

http://www.fototime.com/B18BDF9C4D393CC/standard.jpg

The photo is 2 seperate dies. The ejector pin having a cavity in it seems to suffice well as it bears on the side of the nose. I suppose you could use some epoxy to have it exactly fit that one deisgn. In all actuallity there really isn't much effort required to push the boolit's nose down into the die, and even less to eject it so the ejector pin's nose shape is probably moot.

In the die there is a section a couple thou over the stated drive band OD. Below that is a band about .150" wide that actually does the nose sizing. To eject the boolit the ejector pin only has to push the boolit up until the nose clears the sizer ring. After that there's plenty of clearance.

..............Buckshot

geargnasher
10-14-2010, 03:40 AM
Nice, Buckshot.

I've nose-sized before using the natural taper in the modern Lyman sizing dies and a flat top-punch to knock down the ogive and maybe the first driving band or two, works fine IF your gun's throat mirrors the die's taper.

Gear

Wayne S
10-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Buckshot,
Thanks, Thats what I'm looking for, now to get an EXACT measurments on the OD of the lands AND grooves.

cbrick
10-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Fascinating Buckshot, I will file that for future use. How much do you get for making such a die set?

I've done a similar thing by sizing a 6.5mm nose first into a SAECO die just far enough to taper size the front driving band down about the first .025" of the band so that it would seat deeper in a tight match chamber. Set the SAECO lubrisizer for a sizing depth for uniformity and the up-stroke of the handle pushes it back out. It did work well but what a PITA.

Rick