PDA

View Full Version : Chrono shooting glasses

drinks
09-22-2006, 08:42 PM
On another forum, a friend posted that he killed his chrono with a stray gas check a couple of years ago.
I did not enjoy the idea of another $100 that could be spent on powder and primers going to replace my chrono, so I made some shooting glasses for it.
Home Depot sells a very small piece of Lexan, [do not get Acrylic], about $5.
I cut a piece, folded it with a heat gun and then cut another piece to double the front and attached it with some very short sheet metal screws and mounted it in front of the chrono with a couple more screws.
Several weeks ago, a gas check made a 1/4 moon notch on the upper left side, today one hit solidly and is still buried in the Lexan.
I am going to make a new one, but this time, with 3 layers, not 2.

waksupi
09-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I tried lexan, and a gas check still managed to penetrate. I made a steel platform, that I sit the chrony on. If it gets through 1/8" of steel, something tells me i aimed too low!

NVcurmudgeon
09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Good idea, drinks. Because I found myself rediscovering the speed of sound while chronographing mild loads from a 2" Chief's Special, (1106 fps at that altitude and barometric pressure) I made aluminum blast shields for my Oehler M33 skyscreens. They also give me a comforting feeling when anyone reports GC damage. Because I used two corners from the lid of an electrical equipment box, there was a shelf for the screen to rest upon, and a longer shelf to attach the shield to my screen bar. The shields were made about 2" higher than the screens to avoid muzzle blast, and the screens are attached behind the screens courtesy of the Reno Gazette-Journal's daily rubber band delivery service.

Murphy
09-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Funny, I've been looking at getting my Chrony updated. It's probably 18-19 years old now. Early in it's life the LED cover was shattered by powder/muzzle blast from a Sharps 45/120.

Chrony offers a trade in on used models of their product. I'll be upgrading to one with the readout that is remote. It uses a 16 foot cable to keep the LED from suffering this misfortunes.

Murphy

montana_charlie
09-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Chrony offers a trade in on used models of their product.
Chrony's trade in policy is...

USE ANY CHRONOGRAPH AS A TRADE-IN
We accept even damaged, shot-up, or any make chronograph.

Looks like they allow 30 to 50 dollars for your old one...depending on what you are moving up to.
CM

bobthenailer
09-23-2006, 10:30 AM
the blast shield sounds like a good idea ! but ive shot hundreds of gas ck rounds through a chronigraph with out any problem, maybe im lucky , i allways soften my gas checks by anealing them so they crimp tighter and have less spring back on the crimp. but i suppose thers allways a first time . bob