PDA

View Full Version : where to send gun for rebluing

500bfrman
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
don't know if this is where to post this or not. but I have a double barrel side by side that needs its barrel's reblued. anybody got a recommendation where to send it whithout costing 300 dollars? the only one I have found is precision rebluing anyone have expereince with them?

Wayne Smith
10-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Side by sides are soldered together. You need someone who specializes in blueing shotgun barrels. Dropping them in a traditional hot tank can soften the solder.

spqrzilla
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Good work on blueing really costs good money I'm afraid.

uncle joe
10-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Good work on blueing really costs good money I'm afraid.

very true, it can also devalue an antique gun. If it's a cheap gun and cost prohibitive to have it blued by a good smith, you can get a kit from folks like Gander Mountain for cold bluing that works pretty good if you do a good job on the prep work.

David2011
10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
500brfman,

Do you have any interest in trying it yourself? If the gun isn't pitted badly you can do a rust blue at home. The only hard part is that you have to boil the metal in clean water after it rusts. You have to go through several cycles of rusting, boiling and carding (very fine wire brushing) and you must keep everything absolutely oil free. You don't need more than a 320 grit finish because rust bluing etches the metal. Some double barrel SxSs don't like hot bluing. Is the solder is low temp the barrels will separate in a hot bluing solution. Brownell's has all of the materials and good instructions. The finish is gorgeous if the instructions are followed and you can do it for little money. The rust solution is about $14 and the carding wheels are $13-20. Beyond that you just need sanding materials, steel wool, cotton balls and a tank to boil the parts in. Some water displacing oil for after the bluing would be good, too, but you can DIY for under $100 and you'll have the ability to do it again.

David

David2011
10-12-2010, 06:09 PM
For cold bluing I would strongly recommend Brownell's Oxpho blue.

David

500bfrman
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
the gun is not antique. I could probably buy a new one for 400. it isn't that bad. It had some rust spots I took too much of the blue off and am having a hard time getting birchwood casey cold blue to stick. one thing I don't understand is the boiling, how am I going to boil a 22 inch barrel? But as for trying it myself Im all for that. It doesn't have to look like a new ruger red label or anything.

dragonrider
10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Using Oxpho blue you have no need to boil it. But it must be very clean, oil free.

waksupi
10-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I've had several done in Plummer, Idaho, and can not think of the guys name right off hand. Seems it was around $85 for the job. Let me know if you want me to find his business card.

R.C. Hatter
10-12-2010, 08:12 PM
:coffeecom I have blued several whole guns with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. If you are careful, and follow the instructions, a satisfactory, long lasting finish can be obtained.

S.R.Custom
10-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Send them to me. The following pics are of an L.C. Smith I just finished for a customer here. It's a genuine rust blue process, which is friendly to soldered ribs. PM me for details if you're interested.

Larry Gibson
10-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Send them to me. The following pics are of an L.C. Smith I just finished for a customer here. It's a genuine rust blue process, which is friendly to soldered ribs. PM me for details if you're interested.

S.R.

Do you do regular rifles? I've a couple that I would like a simple finish on such as bead blast and blues or parkerized.

Larry Gibson

EMC45
10-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Beautiful work S.R.!!!!

RayinNH
10-14-2010, 06:27 PM
That is a beautiful bluing job...Ray

S.R.Custom
10-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Thanks, guys...

S.R.

Do you do regular rifles? I've a couple that I would like a simple finish on such as bead blast and blues or parkerized.

Larry Gibson

Absolutely. PM me with what you specifically need done, and I'll give a quote...

Friday afternoon I'll post some pics of a Ruger Super Blackhawk that got bead blasted, hot blued, and accented with Nitre bluing.

And next week I've got 3 sporterized Turk Mausers scheduled to go through the tanks. The actions will be bead blasted and hot blued, but the bolts, barrels and small bits will be polished and hot blued. Should be interesting. I'll post pics, of course.

HeavyMetal
10-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Nice bluing on that double!

Lots of labor to get it like that.

358wcf
10-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Great job on the double shotgun in the pics!
I've a strange feeling the guys on this forum will be keeping you busy for some time- I know I'm looking over the rack to come up with a list for you--
Well Done!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Larry Gibson
10-17-2010, 01:52 AM
S. R.

PM sent.

Larry Gibson

S.R.Custom
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks to all for the PMs I've been getting. I've gotten a few questions about what our bead blasting & hot bluing looks like, so even though I'm still waiting on parts and the gun is not completed, I mocked this up so you can see...

This is a Ruger Super Blackhawk that had seen better days. We cleaned up the metal, gave the whole gun a fine grade bead blast, and blued it using two techniques. The frame, cylinder, and barrel gives an indication of what bead blasting looks like after a trip through the caustic hot tanks. The grip frame, ejector rod housing, loading gate, and base pin were bead blasted and then nitre blued. The through pins were spun polished and nitre blued, while the hammer is a combination of bead blasting and grind polish followed by nitre bluing as well.

The barrel was originally 7.5", but we shortened it to 5.5", removed the warning label, and relocated the front sight. The muzzle was given the recessed target crown, our favorite treatment. The SBH originally did not come with the 5.5" barrel and the large Dragoon grip frame, and that's too bad, because this combination ends up being the most manageable configuration of all in the .44 magnum...

Click on the pics for larger versions.

S.R.Custom
10-21-2010, 08:22 PM
For you guys who wanted to know what our high polish & hot blue looks like...

This was a well-worn, retired S&W model 19-2 duty gun we restored. We gave the whole gun a high polish, taking great pains to preserve the flats, sharp edges, and machined surfaces while still giving the high luster not seen since the pre-model 27s and 29s of the late 1950s. The grips were stripped, the checkering re-done, and then given an oil finish.

Click on the pics for larger versions.

HangFireW8
10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Just a note, I found Oxpho-Blue not very satisfactory on a damascus steel double. It might be fine on a "Fluid Steel" (standard steel) barrel, I don't know.

-HF