PDA

View Full Version : Resizing question

zombie480
10-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Hello all, I finally got much better results the second time around casting .475 bullets, they were a bit on the frosty side but groove edges were sharp and no wrinkles so thanks for all the advice! :mrgreen:

However when I went to lube this set in the lubresizer, they came out somewhat deformed. And I think my crimping die (Redding Profile Crimp) is performing additional resizing as well. First time around I seated the bullets straight from the mold and they chambered just fine, is all this resizing still necessary? Thanks again for any info!

44man
10-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Hello all, I finally got much better results the second time around casting .475 bullets, they were a bit on the frosty side but groove edges were sharp and no wrinkles so thanks for all the advice! :mrgreen:

However when I went to lube this set in the lubresizer, they came out somewhat deformed. And I think my crimping die (Redding Profile Crimp) is performing additional resizing as well. First time around I seated the bullets straight from the mold and they chambered just fine, is all this resizing still necessary? Thanks again for any info!
If they are for a .475 Linebaugh you are better off with .476" boolits.
Try a boolit in the top of the profile die and if it does not go in, don't use it, go to the roll crimp in the seat die.
I do run my boolits through a Lee size die but it is lapped out a little so it just removes excess lube. I put the lube on my boolits with my fingers.
Don't try it with a hard lube, you get blisters! [smilie=l: I use soft Felix.
You can pan lube and use a cake cutter.

runfiverun
10-12-2010, 10:54 AM
re-sizing is not necessary.
a larger easier to use propably fits the revolver better sizer is in order.
you can do this yourself or have buckshot or lathesmith open your sizer up for you.
i generally obtain the gun then the mold and see if they are compatible then order a sizer based on what they need to work together.
if all i can get from the mold is say 358 a 359 sizer does me no good [or does it?], depends on if i'm just lubing or if i need to seat gas checks. or even if the gun demands that size.
and a 357 sizer is too small for the bbl [cylinder] obviously.