PDA

View Full Version : New mold in the mail . . . Whatzit

TCLouis
09-21-2006, 09:09 PM
I was off chasing the wily Wapati (they won by the limb slap on a nylon backpack (NOW RETIRED!!)). I had a cow tag and had shots at bulls only! Funny stories about why there were no shots at cows. LOVE it, that is why it is called hunting.

A group buy mold came in during the last two-three weeks and I have NO idea what it is. Micing the plain-base mold cavit does not give me any hints since it is NOT the size of any order so far.
What went out recently, the 429421 or the 45-360?? Mold cavities do NOT match either, but then I have NEVER miced the mold cavity, only the bullets I have cast.

Funny, I have been casting since 1966 and have NEVER miced a mold caviy. Never thought about it until now. I have no ide the relationship between cavity diameter and boolit diameter. May have to look at that . . . . NAH, boolit diameter/performance is the only thing that is important!

Four Fingers of Death
09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
We use woolen packs in the alps as the bush is very close and noisy on most things. Hollow plastic stocks have to be filled as well as theyare very noisy as well. Mick.

TCLouis
09-21-2006, 10:25 PM
wild animal that has heard the slap of a limb on that pack has come unglued and left without even checking on the situation.

I was less than 50 yards from this elk (obviously lying down) when the limb hit the pack (something I really try to keep from happening) and with the noise, was on her feet and gone around the corner. This was the ONLY aspen glade with a 90 degree turn also, or at least the only one I noticed because it helped the elk disappear so quickly/easily.

I had a new fleece pack but opted to leave it at home at the las minute because I hate to test "new" equipment on a hunt.
Some beautiful new country and more fresh elk sign per day than I saw the whole trip the last time I was there.

Turkeys in the area was something new also.

And some kind of "Large" grouse spooted by my hunting partners.

All in ALL . . . A GREAT TRIP!

Sure had planned to send that home cast cast boolit into a set of ribs though!

Glen
09-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Where were you hunting Louis? I'm heading up into central Utah with a cow tag in October....

454PB
09-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Some years ago, my wife was with me on an Elk hunt. We were walking up a game trail, and an Elk calf came crashing over the hill. We froze, and soon the calf's mother came down the very trail we were standing on. I had no cow permit, so I wanted to see how close she would approach before spotting us. The calf stood about 20 yards away and watched mom walk directly towards us, I swear he had a look of disbelief on his face. The cow was obviously running from a recent threat, she had her mouth open gasping, and spit slime hanging down about 6". I know from experience that Elk can be very aggressive defending their young, so when she got about 50' in front of us, I made a "kissing" sound like you would use to call a dog. She stopped, looked straight at us, then began advancing again. At about 10', I began flapping my arms and she rared up as a horse would do and spun 180 degrees. The calf then joined her as they escaped. I've hunted Elk since I was 14 years old and never saw anything like that.

TCLouis
09-22-2006, 08:10 PM
central Colorado, NOT far from NM border.

Elk were there, but it was warm ahd they "hid" in the cool spots.

Loved the hunt, and was worth it for the rejuvenation of my soul!

Mountains can do that.