PDA

View Full Version : Pan lubing NOE Ranch dog copy

simo99
10-11-2010, 02:56 AM
First poster. I jumped on the group buy last year for the NOE 311-165gc Ranch dog copy. I realized at the time that it wasn't the tumble lube version (as per the original) but had conventional lube grooves. No problem then as I was gearing up to get a lube sizer. Problem now is that I want to start casting but I haven't as yet got a lube sizer. Ive got a .311 lee sizer to install gas checks. Am I able to pan lube these projectiles? Rifle will be my old faithful 336a. I'm going to try to run them around 2000fps as per Ranch dog's own load data. Many thanks. Simo from Aus.

missionary5155
10-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Good morning & WELCOME about mate !
Sure you can pan lub. You can also smear it on with your fingers while being bored with any mindless news. Although BBC still has a descent program.
Are you looking at straight WW and a slower burning powder for your loads ?

358wcf
10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
G'Day to you, Simo-
You are off to a good start, mate, and will do well-
Pan lubing is easy, providing you keep the temp of the lube as low as possible and don't even think about using your wife's kitchen appliances while she's at home!! Use a dedicated pan for the lube, and you can re-use it over again by placing new boolits in the holes where the previous ones were in the lube-
You can use either a "cake-cutter or lube-cutter" to remove the boolits from the cooled lube, or you can make a tool from a piece of tubing or a larger caliber shell-casing. Economize where you can- it is easy.
Either of the Lee models of push-thru sizers will work- I've seen that the current press-mounted push-thru types can even be used as a hand-die without the press.

Your efforts will pay off well with satisfaction from doing the job right, and doing it yourself. You will move on to more sophisticated gear as you progress in the hobby if finances allow. We all started in the same place.

Enjoy your efforts, and take pride in doing it well, on your own!

Again, Simo- WELCOME!!!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Dale53
10-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I have Star, RCBS, and Lyman lube/sizers. However, I CHOSE to pan lube my Schuetzen bench rifle bullets (and this is a genuine ½ minute rifle at 200 yards). Goatlips has a nice photo essay on pan lubing that should be very helpful to you:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

Goatlips pan lubing is directed at black powder rifles, but it works just as well for smokeless rifles and pistols.

I use several 9" cake pans I got from a thrift store for nearly nothing. I have lubed several hundred bullets at a time. Pan lubing is NOT a sub-standard method, just a different method. After pan lubing, the Lee die does a FINE job.

Dale53

Hurricane
10-11-2010, 01:19 PM
You can still tumble lube the bulets if you want. The Liquid Alox can be used on any boolit.

Four Fingers of Death
10-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Tumble a few of them, I'm sure it will work. May save you a bit of work.