PDA

View Full Version : Ember Days...

BCB
09-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I casually read the Farmer’s Almanac from time to time. I notice Ember Days listed throughout the year on certain dates. The 22nd and 23rd of this month are Ember days. Do these days predict weather for future dates or do they have a different meaning?...BCB

wills
09-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Related phrases: ember days and ember weeks

Definitions of Ember Days on the Web:

Ember days are four separate sets of three days within the same week - specifically, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday - roughly equidistant in the circuit of the year, formerly set aside for fasting and prayer in the liturgical calendar of the Western Churches, but significantly not in the Eastern Orthodox Church (where Celtic traditions were not a concern). These days are set apart for special prayer and fasting, and considered especially suitable for the ordination of clergy. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ember_days

Bret4207
09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Interesting. There is so much tradition our modern society has lost or plain ignores. My Amish pal celibrates (within Amish standards) certain "holidays" I never even heard of. Shoot! Who even celibrates Flag Day, Armistice Day or May Day anymore?!? Your lucky if the drunks at a football gane stand up during the National Anthem, much less remove their hats and place their hand over their heart.

Sad. Sad....