PDA

View Full Version : Found missing primer in worse spot.

ghh3rd
10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
When I cast I often put my hot boolits on a towel inside of a printer paper box top lid, and the lid usually winds up with several small bits of lead in it along with the boolits. Yesterday while casting I removed the boolits and dumped the bits of lead into my hand and dropped them into the melt.

Well, I figured out where one of my missing primers went! Kapow! Sure made me jump. Glad it was on top of the lead, and not under.

Randy

jmsj
10-10-2010, 09:34 PM
ghh3rd,
Glad to hear you were'nt hurt.
Where would you rate that one on the pucker factor scale?

Railbuggy
10-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Good thing you had your safty glasses on.

mold maker
10-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I once spotted a 22 dud in range lead just as it rolled into the melt. A handy lid and safety equip saved the day, but it sure got my attention.

sagacious
10-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I once got a loose live small primer in range scrap. That one was loud.

x101airborne
10-11-2010, 05:45 AM
WOW. Sure makes me think. My trash can is next to my lead re-melt box. I need to move that thing.

casterofboolits
10-11-2010, 08:34 AM
I ended up with a 380 round in some range lead I was smelting one day. I smelt inside under an old food service hood. Luckily, I had stepped away from the pot to watch the nieghbor kids unload a deer from the back of thier pickup.

POW! Tink, tink, tink as the 380 case bounced about the room and actually bounced off the large plate glass window and landed about two feet in front of me. The HP bullet was still on the top of the lead when I checked the pot. The primer was also blown out of the case.

I started paying more attention to what I shoveled into the pot after that. That was the only one I had in smelting down quite a few tons of range lead.:bigsmyl2:

lwknight
10-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Funny hoe the primer in the lead makes a circle of sparkley ceiling that is larger than the distance from the pot to the ceiling.

Hardcast416taylor
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I ran the indoor pistol range for the gun club I belonged to. One Fri. night after I closed up a few guys and a couple of their shooter wives were helping me clean the place up. One gal swept the floor, that had some empty .22 cases and the usual floor dirt. She also had a burn barrel going outside of used paper targets. Well the floor "dirt" and .22 cases were tossed into the embers of the burn barrel. It immediately flared up as the floor dirt, a.k.a. unburned powder, hit the hot embers. About a minute or so later came a ringing "POW" as a .22 live round cooked off. That gal never helped us clean up after that?Robert:confused:

Randall
10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I did pretty much the same thing a few months ago,luckily I had just stepped away and the primer was on top,still made me jump!

Echo
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM
MAny years ago I bought some stuff from an old rummy that was closing shop. Got a beat-up 6-banger mold, a SAECO furnace, and a 6x6x6 box full of solder snippets. I'm glad I checked the solder out, and didn't just toss it into the pot, because there were about a half -dozen SR primers in there...

GabbyM
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
last year while melting down wheel weights I found a 22 rim-fire bullet. still have lead splatter on the walls and ceiling. I add WW to the pot with a shovel so I can stand back from the normal splatter. A practice which came in real handy for that event. It's surprising how loud a 22 going off sounds when you're not expecting it.

knappy
11-03-2010, 07:23 PM
When I cast I often put my hot boolits on a towel inside of a printer paper box top lid, and the lid usually winds up with several small bits of lead in it along with the boolits. Yesterday while casting I removed the boolits and dumped the bits of lead into my hand and dropped them into the melt.

Well, I figured out where one of my missing primers went! Kapow! Sure made me jump. Glad it was on top of the lead, and not under.

RandyJust as well it was not down in the lead, Our you would have been in trouble, glad to see you where not hurt.

XWrench3
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
gee, another fun thing i have yet to look forward to! :kidding: glad no one was hurt!

Moonie
11-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a bucket with my spare/scrap lead in, spru, raw ww's and some ingots. Well a few weeks ago I accidentally dropped a live primer in there, it promptly disapeared.

Need to find it before it ends up in the pot.

mpmarty
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm sure we've all heard the story that live ammo in a fire won't hurt you because it isn't in a chamber and barrel where the bullet could gain velocity. Bunk! I dumped a box of trash into my wood stove in my shop and some live 40 S&W rounds cooked off and shot through the front glass in the door of the stove. I'm more careful about what I throw in the stove now.

ghh3rd
11-04-2010, 01:31 PM
some live 40 S&W rounds cooked off and shot through the front glass in the door of the stove
That might leave a mark if it hit ya! :)