PDA

View Full Version : Which is your dominant eye/hand

KYCaster
10-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I was surfing on the Brian Enos forum and found a thread discussing cross dominance and how to deal with it. Several people replied describing how they deal with the situation.

So I asked if there was anyone else there who doesn't have a dominant eye. So far the only responses say they've never heard of such a thing.

Now, I know I'm a unique individual, (my daddy always told me I'm one of a kind [smilie=s:) but surely I'm not the only one with this affliction. I've never heard anybody else mention it, but I've never asked before.

I'm giving all you "NORMAL" people a chance to participate, but what I really want to know is how many of us don't have a dominant eye. How common (or uncommon) is it?

I'm sure you're all familiar with the tests to find your dominant eye, but I'll describe them in case somebody missed them.

Pick a small object 10 or 12 ft. away. Hold your hands at arms length and make a circle with your thumbs and index fingers so you can look at the object through the circle. Keeping the object visible in the circle, pull your hands in till you touch your face. Most people will end up with the circle in front of their dominant eye.

Pick an object some distance away...the farther the better, but 10 or 12 ft. will work if that's all you have. Focus on the object then extend your index finger at arms length to point at the object with both eyes open. Most people will have the object covered by their finger. Now close your left eye. If the visual relationship of the object and your finger doesn't change then you are right eye dominant. If your finger appears to shift to the left of the object then you are left eye dominant. Repeat, closing the right eye to verify.

I know this doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things. There are plenty of cross dominant people who shoot very well and there are plenty of right-handed right-eye dominant people who shoot very poorly, but all the left-handed people I know excel at everything they do. :wink:

Patiently waiting for your answers. :popcorn:

Jerry

2ndAmendmentNut
10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
I am right eye and right handed. However I was always taught in the cases of cross dominance on handguns have the shooter hold the gun in his/her dominant hand and aim using the dominant eye by simply cocking your head a bit. However when using rifles or shotguns use whichever side is the dominant eye, and if the shooter just can’t get the hang of it simply shoot with your dominant hand and close or dot your dominant eye…

My wife is left eye and right handed. She shoots handguns righty and rifles and shotguns lefty, and she shoots good enough for me to not want to make her angry.

RobS
10-09-2010, 11:30 PM
The formed circle with thumbs and index fingers pulled in toward the eye and it moves in to the left eye so left eye dominance. Next the index finger held out arms length shows a right eye dominance as finger stays put on object while looking with right eye or finger moves right when looking with left eye.

Right hand shooter and I shoot with left eye shut/right eye open; however I often times shoot with both eyes open when shooting open sights and always both eyes shotgunning.

nicholst55
10-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I used to be right/right, but as I've gotten older and my (extremely bad to begin with) eyesight has gotten worse, my left eye became dominant. I'm doubtless an extreme case, because I was born cross-eyed and still have very poor binocular vision.

oneokie
10-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Am right/right. My son is right handed, left /left with long guns, haven't let him shoot hand gun yet.

First time I noticed the cross domination was at the local public shooting range. A boy of about 14-15 yrs. age was shooting a revolver right handed, but using his left eye to sight. Was a scary sight to me at first until it dawned on me what his situation was. His face was nearly perpendicular to the line of sight, and his right arm was across his chest.

jmsj
10-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I'd have to say I shoot right and am left eye dominant. I found out many years ago that I was left eye dominant. When shooting right handed, I am able to aim using my right eye. I have been doing this so long it feels natural. If I shoot left handed and using my left eye, it takes me longer but my groups tend to be smaller.

S.R.Custom
10-10-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm ambidextrous, and I swing a bat or play pool switch handed.

And I have no clearly dominant eye. If I stick a gun up to my face and align the sights with my right eye, the dominance goes to the left eye, the one with the clear view of the target. If I sight with the other eye, the dominance goes right. So I absolutely have to squint through one eye to even be able to use sights.

I'm used to it, so it's no big deal. Except when I'm wing shooting. I can't pass shoot to save my life.

lwknight
10-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Being left handed and right eyed means that it aint easy being cheezy.
If I cant the pistol to my right , my left eye takes over without squinting my right eye.
I can go Perry style and use my right eye left handed.
The eye switch is automatic and quick.
I do shoot a rifle right/right most of the time but go left/left when bench shooting.

geargnasher
10-10-2010, 02:35 AM
I was left/left until Pars Planitis started affecting left eye vision with vitreous floaters/anterior cells/epiretinal membrane, now dominance is shifting to the right very gradually. Didn't notice how much until I got to where I couldn't hit anything with a shotgun. Put dots on the central-vision are of the right shooting lense and forced dominance shift back to left. Works ok for shooting clays if I put the glasses on when I get up on a shooting day and wear them until I'm finished, it takes a while for the brain to tune back to the left with all the garbage/glare/haze in the left eye. Have to make it choose between the less of two bad vision inputs, and some days I have to increase the density of the dots on the right lens to exceed the floaters in the other eye.

Anyway, I checked shoot with both eyes closed because that's what it seems like sometimes, especially with open-sighted rifles.

Gear

troy_mclure
10-10-2010, 04:48 AM
i too had a change of dominance this year.

used to be right, but could use my left just as well(am ambi with any long gun), and could shoot any gun with both eyes opened.

but now i am left eye dominate, and really have to concentrate on using my right eye for hand guns, and i can no longer keep both eyes open and shoot, it just gets too blurry.

mooman76
10-10-2010, 09:52 AM
When I was young I was so left eye dominate that when I shot right handed, I couldn't close just my left eye. I got an idea to put a patch over my left eye to shoot. Eventually I got used to closing my left eye, and that's how I learned to shoot.

10-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Left-handed, right-eyed, shoot right-handed.

RayinNH
10-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm a left handed individual. I write left handed, throw a ball, shoot archery, play pool , swing a hammer all left handed. I hit a golf ball, swing a baseball bat and cast with a fishing rod right handed.

I'm right eye dominant, I shoot a hangun right handed but shoot long guns left handed. Just last week I tried to shoot a rifle right handed. It felt very unnatural, I couldn't crane my neck to align with the sights...Ray

Johnch
10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Right handed , almost ambidextrous as I can write with both hands (but not as well left handed )
Left eye dominant

With handgund I shoot right handed normaly
But I can shoot left handed quite well also

Shotguns I normaly shoot right handed , but in a pinch
I can switch to the left side
As if a turkey comes in on my right side
I simply change shoulders and shoot

LOL I shoulder the shotgun and look at the target
For the most part , I can't see the rib
So some how my brain works it out

Rifle
I shoot right handed
I must use a scope or reddot sight
As I can't see the sights well enough to hit anything right or left handed

John

starbits
10-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Right handed left eye dominant. Shoot long guns left handed and pistols right handed. I can sight with my right eye, it just takes 30 seconds of complete concentration and the game usually doesn't stick around that long.

Starbits

old turtle
10-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Interesting! I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed but when using a camera I use my left eye. I also have tried to keep both eyes open when shooting but I can't do it. Oh well! my wife just says I am weird and she may be right. In fact she is never wrong.

longranger
10-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Left handed for writing,eating,ball throwing,fishing,Right handed for guitar playing and shooting anything,archery,handguns and rifles.Both children are absolute ambidextious.Funny to see little people switch from R to L while writing,amazing theres no difference in their writing.

Ajax
10-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I am right eye, right hand dominant but i have trained hard to be able to use both hands to shoot pistol and shotgun with.

Andy

Doc Highwall
10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I am right handed but blind in my right eye so for handgun I prefer right handed but can shoot left handed and with a rifle or shotgun I shoot left handed only and the hard part was teaching myself to write with my left hand while laying down in the prone position with a rifle in my left shoulder and a sling on my right arm maintaining a NPA and plotting my shots.

Firebricker
10-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I must be a real odd one my catagory was'nt up there. Left handed right eye dominant the twist is I shoot all handgun's left handed but rifle,shotgun and bow right handed. FB

Matt_G
10-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Right handed and left eye dominant. Shoot everything right handed. Tried shooting left handed and just can't do it.
So I close or patch my left eye when shooting.

KY_Camper
10-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I am right handed, right eye dominate. My wife is right handed, left eye dominate and does fine with pistols but has a lot of trouble with rifles. I was at the range Friday and a young lady was there as a new shooter and was having a lot of trouble before it was figured out she was left eye dominate. We showed her how to shoot left handed and she did real well. She very quickly went from very frustrated to very happy!

KCSO
10-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I have been cross dominant for most of my life and so I shoot handgun right handed both eyes open and the gun toward the left side. I shoot shotgun both eyse open and simply look at the TARGET and rifle I shoot right handed with the left eye closed, but... After arecent trip to the eye doctor I find that my left eye is getting weaker and now I have almost NO dominance and can for the most part shoot everything with both eyes open. This would be a lot nicer if the eyes were stronger but 20-30 corrected is about the best the Doc can do.

TCLouis
10-10-2010, 11:36 PM
My plan to experiment starting this year is to pull a pistol over in front of me enough to cross right handed with left eye dominance.
Just for experimental purposes for now.
Likely will start AFTER seasons.

uncle joe
10-10-2010, 11:42 PM
I have always been a left handed (Rifle) shooter and left eye dominant.
UNTIL July.
I always shot left handed mostly because I could not 'wink' my left eye, so I just used it to shoot.
In April I had a work related accident and spent the next two months in ICU and having 13 surgeries for skin grafts. when I woke I had a funny looking blind spot in my left eye's center of vision. Dr says it is nerve damage from either low blood pressure or low oxygen from the ventilator.
SO now I'm right handed and my right eye is in the process of taking over the dominatrix role.
Should be an interesting hunting season, hope I don't screw up much meat.

R.C. Hatter
10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
:coffeecom I am left handed and am left eye dominant. That said, I shoot handguns with my right hand, and long guns off my left shoulder.

Moonie
10-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Right handed left eye here. I shoot pistols with right hand and left eye. Rifles I shoot right handed and close my left (dominant) eye. When I used to shoot long distance target I would use a blinder on the left side of my scope so I could keep the dominant eye open, you can see better with both eyes open, even when using just one.

cbrick
10-11-2010, 12:59 PM
For several years it was shoot handgun right handed with left eye, clear sights, clear target. That was the good old days. Then came that pesky legally blind in both eyes thing. Really tough to hit anything when you can't see sights or target but I kept trying. Then eye surgery and it's a whole new world now.

Now it's not nearly as good as it once was but still a huge improvemnet. After the surgery and with 2 corrective lenses (a distance lens and a diopter to reduce distance and help with the sights) and fuzzy sights and fuzzy targets the right eye is a bit better for distance than the left so for now it's right/right.

The good old days, never knew how good I had it till I didn't have it. Shooting, casting, loading are still passions, just no longer score nearly as well as I once took for granted.

Rick

mike in co
10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
your poll is incomplete....

i am right handed. left eye dominate...

i shoot pistols right handed, rifle and shot gun left hand.....

mike in co

KYCaster
10-11-2010, 07:37 PM
your poll id incomplete....

i am right handed. left eye dominate...

i shoot pistols right handed, rifle and shot gun left hand.....

mike in co

OK, I have to agree. There are a couple of things I didn't anticipate. One of them is people like you who shoot long guns from the opposite side as handguns. What can I say Mikey....you're just weird! :groner:

Another mistake I admit to....option #5 should have been "I don't have a dominant eye", but I chose a feeble attempt at humor, so I just ASS-U-ME that those who chose #5 are screwed up like I am.

Anywhooooo........even though the poll doesn't reveal any big surprises, it does answer some questions I've pondered. There are still some questions unanswered....(more on that later).

There some interesting responses I want to address, but not yet having mastered the "multiple quote" thingy, I'll address them individually.

Thanks all for your participation.

Jerry

KYCaster
10-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I am right eye and right handed. However I was always taught in the cases of cross dominance on handguns have the shooter hold the gun in his/her dominant hand and aim using the dominant eye by simply cocking your head a bit. However when using rifles or shotguns use whichever side is the dominant eye, and if the shooter just can’t get the hang of it simply shoot with your dominant hand and close or dot your dominant eye…

That seems to be the consensus, and the one BIG thing this poll tells me is that no matter which eye or hand is dominant, almost everyone is able to compensate for their individual situation.....THE MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING!!

My wife is left eye and right handed. She shoots handguns righty and rifles and shotguns lefty, and she shoots good enough for me to not want to make her angry.

It seems your wife shares that trait with Mike in CO. That's one of the things I didn't anticipate, so without the input we won't know how often that occurs.

Thanks for your reply.

Jerry

Edit to add....I just reviewed the thread and find I should have done it before I posted this message.

It looks like, along with 2ndAmendmentNut's wife and Mike in CO, there are several others who share the handgun-right, long gun-left affliction. RayinNH, Starbits, Doc Highwall, and Fire Bricker all report the same thing, with lwknight, troy mcclure and Johnch being ambidextrous with long guns.

Factor that into the poll and it becomes the third largest answer, with nine responses...that is a bit surprising.

AZ-Stew
10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I usually read all the other posts before I respond, but for this one, I'll wing it, then go back and see what everyone else has to say.

For the first 50 years or so of my life, I was left eye dominant. I'm right handed. There's no way I could shoot left handed and keep both eyes open, since I had little fine motor control over left handed activities, nor could I keep both eyes open while shooting right handed, since I couldn't see the sights. The left eye took over, leaving me looking at the left side of the front sight and not seeing the rear sight at all. I compensated for this by closing my left eye while shooting. For the life of me, I can't figure out why "knowledgeable" shooters DEMAND that shooters work with both eyes open. Closing my left eye while shooting is as natural to me as squeezing the trigger with my right index finger.

Then I had Lasik done on both eyes about 10 years ago. The work was perfect on my right eye (20-15), and not so good on the left (don't know the numbers, but it sucks). The human brain is an amazing thing. Upon healing, I immediately became right eye dominant. Even so, I still shoot with my left eye closed. It helps me concentrate on the sights. With both eyes open, even though my right eye is now able to see both sights with both eyes open, the additional information from my left eye is a big distraction. I just don't want to see it.

All the above has always applied for all types of firearms.

That's my take on it.

Regards,

Stew

KevMT
10-11-2010, 08:45 PM
My son is right handed and left eye dominant. I have been unable to persuade him to try left handed shooting. He does pretty good with a scoped rifles but was having trouble with shotguns. I got him an easy hit sight for his shotgun which seems to help quite a bit but if he is having a bad day he begins closing his left eye when shooting clays.

I am right handed right eye dominant but not strongly so. I put an easy hit on my shotgun and it seems to have helped somewhat for me too.

The easy hit sight is made so that you only see it with the aiming eye and cant see it with the other eye allowing you to leave both eyes open.

The new Burris "speed bead" would seem to be the ideal solution to this problem but it is pretty expensive.

KYCaster
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd have to say I shoot right and am left eye dominant. I found out many years ago that I was left eye dominant. When shooting right handed, I am able to aim using my right eye. I have been doing this so long it feels natural. If I shoot left handed and using my left eye, it takes me longer but my groups tend to be smaller.

This is one of the things that I have always been curious about. I have known three people who changed from shooting right handed to left handed for a short period of time to give their tennis elbow a chance to heal. It's a very common affliction among action pistol shooters, usually caused by dry fire practice. Snatching a two pound gun out of a holster for hours on end takes its toll. Rather than stop participating, they chose to change their style. All of them suffered a set back on their initial change, but were able to improve substantially before they switched back to right hand shooting. I didn't notice (and didn't ask) at the time if they chose to aim with the same eye.

So this leads to the question, "How easy (or hard) is it to force yourself to overcome your eye/hand dominance?"

Jerry

Edit to add....After reading SR Custom's post about switch-hitting, I want to address that....

When baseball players make it to the big leagues and find that their skills don't quite measure up to what's required to participate at that level, it's not unusual for the batting coach to make them switch to the other side of the plate. It forces them to learn the fundamentals from square one without having to deal with the bad habits they developed earlier.

My point is...given a reasonable amount of manual dexterity and desire, anything is possible.

AZ-Stew
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
So this leads to the question, "How easy (or hard) is it to force yourself to overcome your eye/hand dominance?" Jerry

My comments on this issue are in Post #32.

Regards,

Stew

KYCaster
10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I was left/left until Pars Planitis started affecting left eye vision with vitreous floaters/anterior cells/epiretinal membrane, now dominance is shifting to the right very gradually. Didn't notice how much until I got to where I couldn't hit anything with a shotgun. Put dots on the central-vision are of the right shooting lense and forced dominance shift back to left. Works ok for shooting clays if I put the glasses on when I get up on a shooting day and wear them until I'm finished, it takes a while for the brain to tune back to the left with all the garbage/glare/haze in the left eye. Have to make it choose between the less of two bad vision inputs, and some days I have to increase the density of the dots on the right lens to exceed the floaters in the other eye.

Anyway, I checked shoot with both eyes closed because that's what it seems like sometimes, especially with open-sighted rifles.

Gear

I can certainly relate to the floaters...it's frustrating when you have that perfect sight picture on the X ring and a squid goes swimmin' across your sights. I sometimes have to lay the gun down for a while till the floater finds another location.

What really intrigues me is the "forced dominance shift" you mention. One HUGE thing I see from the responses here is how adaptable we can be. More about this later.

Jerry

OutHuntn84
10-11-2010, 09:55 PM
As a kid I was right eye and right hand dominate. Then just one day it changed and I was left eye dominate, no idea what happened. For pistol I just pull the gun over to line up with my right eye and can keep both eyes open and can shoot quite well that way. For long gun I have to close my left eye to shoot. If given time to concentrate I can shift my focus over to right but it's hard and even harder to keep the focus. I have tried many things to try and get my eyes to change back to right eye dominate, but to no avail.
Any one have any ideas or links? Is it even possible to force change your eye dominance, not just cope with it?

DIRT Farmer
10-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Right/ Right When I started in law enforcement we had a hard case instructor. At right barricade he required you to shoot R/R, and at left barricade L/L. It drove me nuts for a while but because I had to learn I did. I got to where I could shoot L/L both eyes open at 80-85% as I could R/R, it took practice and in theroy(his) in combat shooting you need both eyes open all the time. Not so good with my left as I don't pratice it mutch. My oldest son was tought to shoot a M16 from both sides as you never know where the threat isgoing to be. Makes sence.

Tom-ADC
10-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Mainly bothers me when I shoot skeet, trap etc but I put a strip of scotch tape on the left lense of my shooting glasses and that seems to have cured it, I can still shoot a 25 straight now and then. No problem with the rifles or hand guns I close the left eye but shotguns I shoot both eyes open.

KYCaster
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Interesting! I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed but when using a camera I use my left eye. I also have tried to keep both eyes open when shooting but I can't do it. Oh well! my wife just says I am weird and she may be right. In fact she is never wrong.

I just couldn't pass this one up....I thought I married Ms. Right...found out too late her first name was Always! :groner:

Anywhoooo......I gained some insight into this eye/hand/coordination/dominance thing when my kids were playing little league sports. This was back when we were debating VHS vs. BETA (I lost). You youngsters don't even know what I'm talking about, but a cam-corder cost four months salary and it didn't come with that flip out viewing screen, you had to stick the eye-piece right up against your eye (hence the name). You didn't get a choice, it was right eye or nothing.

So yer lookin through this view-finder with yer left eye closed and by the third inning your vision is blurred and you have a pounding headache. So you finally open your left eye just to get a little relief from the pain and you realize that you can actually aim the camera with both eyes open. Not only that, but when you zoom in to 10X to see your kid shag that line drive and make a perfect throw to second base for the third out, you can keep up with the rest of the action on the field with your left eye.

That was nothing short of an epiphany...your mind actually processes the input from both eyes independently. Maybe that's old news to you guys, but it kinda blew me away at the time. It gave me a whole different perspective on sight picture/sight alignment (scope or irons).

Jerry

KYCaster
10-11-2010, 11:18 PM
As a kid I was right eye and right hand dominate. Then just one day it changed and I was left eye dominate, no idea what happened. For pistol I just pull the gun over to line up with my right eye and can keep both eyes open and can shoot quite well that way. For long gun I have to close my left eye to shoot. If given time to concentrate I can shift my focus over to right but it's hard and even harder to keep the focus. I have tried many things to try and get my eyes to change back to right eye dominate, but to no avail.
Any one have any ideas or links? Is it even possible to force change your eye dominance, not just cope with it?

OK, here's where this really gets interesting. Seven people, almost 10% of those responding report a change of eye dominance at some time in their life, most of them because of a medical condition or physical trauma. OutHuntn says there's no apparent reason for his change.

So several questions come to mind....

First, is it possible to voluntarily change your dominant eye. (I know...why would you want to...that's not my point) On second thought, that should be, How hard would it be to voluntarily change your dominant eye? I believe it's possible, but you'd have to have a pretty strong motivation.

Second, how hard is it to learn to sight with your non-dominant eye? DIRT Farmer says his instructor insisted on it and he is able to do it. Everyone's mind is capable of doing it, so what are the barriers to overcome in order to make it happen? Considering the fact that everyone seems to compensate for their individual circumstances, is there a situation where it would be desirable to change your dominant eye?

Ummmm....I know there were a couple more questions, but my train of thought seems to have jumped the track. I'm sure they'll come to me later so I'll update this as it comes to me.

Thanks to everyone for their participation. This has turned out to be more interesting than I anticipated.

Jerry

graywolf09
10-12-2010, 02:39 AM
OK, here's where this really gets interesting. Seven people, almost 10% of those responding report a change of eye dominance at some time in their life, most of them because of a medical condition or physical trauma. OutHuntn says there's no apparent reason for his change.

So several questions come to mind....

First, is it possible to voluntarily change your dominant eye. (I know...why would you want to...that's not my point) On second thought, that should be, How hard would it be to voluntarily change your dominant eye? I believe it's possible, but you'd have to have a pretty strong motivation.

Second, how hard is it to learn to sight with your non-dominant eye? DIRT Farmer says his instructor insisted on it and he is able to do it. Everyone's mind is capable of doing it, so what are the barriers to overcome in order to make it happen? Considering the fact that everyone seems to compensate for their individual circumstances, is there a situation where it would be desirable to change your dominant eye?

Ummmm....I know there were a couple more questions, but my train of thought seems to have jumped the track. I'm sure they'll come to me later so I'll update this as it comes to me.

Thanks to everyone for their participation. This has turned out to be more interesting than I anticipated.

Jerry

Left-handed (in most things except batting and golf) right-eyed cross dominant. Shot competitively in high school (a loooooong time ago). Never had any trouble sighting with my left-eye. Tried shooting a pistol right handed and using my right eye. Not bad but no better than left-handed left-eyed.

OutHuntn84
10-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Yea it was wierd. My dad would take me out about once a year to sight in our deer rifles and when we got out there I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. My dad always taught me to shoot with both eyes open. He asked me if I could see the sites. In my youthful intelegence I said no I think you moved the sights cause I cant line up the rear sight. lol So my dad did the whole dominance test and sure enough I was left eye dominate. We had done the same test a few times in past years and it was always right eye. So from then on I closed my left eye while shooting long guns, no bid deal. When I turned 18 I found I needed to learn how to shoot with both eyes open again. I tried only wearing a contact lens in my right eye. Figured my brain would choose the better eye to be dominate, didnt work. I spent a few hours every night for a few months force focusing my right eye to be dominate while looking through a scoped rifle, didnt work. I even tried wearing an eye patch for about three weeks over my left eye, didnt work. Needless to say I still cant shoot long guns with both eyes fully open.

10 ga
10-12-2010, 02:27 PM
It's my third eye, it's dominant. It's blind but still dominates all that I see and do. How do I fix that without undue trauma? It often causes me to shoot wild! It dosen't matter which hand I use! LOL, HA HA, -- 10 ga

BoolitBill
10-13-2010, 10:48 PM
My son is right handed but left eye dominant. I saw that the first time I tried to teach him to shoot at about age 9. Fortunately for us an older shooter was there and saw me struggling to get him to close his left eye to shoot. He told me to rub vaseline on the left lens of his safety glasses and have him shoot that way every time. Within a month of shootin every weekend my son became right eye dominant when he shoots. Old shooters sure are wise, I listen very closely every time one starts to speak about shooting!

KYCaster
10-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I just saw Comershooter's new avatar in the test forum. It looks like Homer Simpson shoots right handed, is left eye dominant and closes his right eye when sighting.

Does this mean that celebrities suffer from the same problems that us common folk have to deal with daily?

...or does it mean that the writers/artists/producers of "The Simpsons" are shooters and understand the concept of dominant hand/eye?

...or does it mean that the writers/artists/producers of "The Simpsons" are completely ignorant of anything related to shooting and just drew Homer that way for aesthetic reasons?

...or does it mean that it's just too late on a Sunday night and I'm too tired to be capable of rational thought? [smilie=6:

Whatever???
Jerry

59sharps
10-18-2010, 12:53 PM
left handed right eye dom and shoot right handed. can't even figure out how to hold one left handed.

GLShooter
11-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Right handed, left eye dominate. Shoot pistol right handed and long guns left handed.

Greg

firefly1957
11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I always tested right eye dominate until about age 50 then it seems to shift towards left?
When using test of moving hands out it shows left eye dominance but when pointing to distant object I always see two fingers and the Right finger is closest when I close each eye.
I talked to 2 eye doctors and they both told me it is not possible to change eye dominance but I know mine has shifted as a young pistol shooter we learned to test ourselves and I was always right eye dominate.