PDA

View Full Version : Surprised but happy.

qajaq59
10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I noticed today that my Lee R.E.A.L. .50 cal conical bullet weighs in at 342 grains instead of what Lee said would be 320. I'm definitely not complaining though because it shoots great. But I'm wondering if yours are like that? The diameter is ok, so maybe it's a bit longer?

flyingstick
10-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Just weighed one at 317, but I sent that mold back. It was way out of round. I bet @ 342 you got one of the good ones that measure .514

Charlie Sometimes
10-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I notice this occurence in many different molds, not just Lee's. Alloy makes a slight difference in size or weight but not enough to reflect your difference. Usually all those I've checked tend to be on the heavier side than specified. The only ones I do not find "out of spec" are the round ball molds.

mooman76
10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I notice this occurence in many different molds, not just Lee's. Alloy makes a slight difference in size or weight but not enough to reflect it. Usually all those I've checked tend to be on the heavier side than specified. The only ones I do not find "out of spec" are the round ball molds.

I have heard the RB moulds are made by pressing a steel baring in them for the final form. It would give good cosistancy but I have noticed the 454 Moulds tend to run a little large. More like 456.

onondaga
10-10-2010, 12:49 AM
I like the REAL also. I use the 250 grain version in my Lyman Great Plains with the quicker twist. Pure lead bullets are a few grains heavier and they mike out at .513" on the bands. The big plus for me on this particular bullet is that I also cast the same bullet in straight wheel weight alloy and size it to .501" to use it in my center-fire NEF Handi-Rifle in .500 S&W Magnum. I get groups less than 1 inch from either rifle at 50 yds. Last fall I had a close uphill shot at a good buck and the hit from the Handi-Rifle lifted him up off his feet nearly a foot.

idahoron
10-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I have A REAL mould for my 50 and it is .517 and weighs 322 with lead that is under 8 BHN. Ron

qajaq59
10-10-2010, 02:35 PM
The mold I have is the ball/ R.E.A.L. combo and it also measure .517. Which is why I think it may be a bit longer. I just order the double R.E.A.L. mold so I can cast them faster. That and because i don't really need too many RBs. They don't shoot as well as the conical "yet". I'll see what they weigh out of the new mold.

mooman76
10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I'll check mine when I get a chance. I never weighed them before because I didn't the means years ago when I first started. I do have a 58 cal Lee original minie that is suppose to weigh 500gr but is more like 520. Not to far off for that big a bullet.

missionary5155
10-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Good morning
Another possibility is the amount of tin used in the mix.
But in the end who cares.. 20 grains of lead will make no difference to a pig or deer or other critter. If it is acccurate then I would hunt with it.

Charlie Sometimes
10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I did some checking on a few of my ML molds.
I've got a 62 caliber RB mold that says 325 gr., 0.600 dia., but is 322 and 0.599.
Otherwise all my RB molds are on the money.
Now, of all the maxi style molds, only the 50 calibers are either lighter or heavier than spec. :veryconfu

I do use a little tin in my ML molds, especially the maxi's- helps fill out, but it doesn't effect the size or weight that much.
Now if you cast RB with WW, that is a different story..........