PDA

View Full Version : plain base vs gas check

hiram
10-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I am enrolled in Mihecs 460122 buy. I shoot a rolling block.

Has it been anyone's experience that having 2 of the same bullets, one version, gc or pb, usually is more accurate than the other?

I ordered gc. I figured I could always have the gc removed in one cavity.

lwknight
10-09-2010, 02:00 PM
One of my most accurate boolits are GC with no check installed.
OInly problem is pressure lubing a GC without the check.
I just had to settle for TL on that one.

RobS
10-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Generally, a gas check will make it easier to shoot a bullet under a wider array of variables and produce accurate results. Regarding the other side, a PB design requires more attention to alloy (BHN), powder selection, reloading practices etc to produce desired accuracy. The application also needs to be examined as well i.e. a GC design in a low pressure round such as a 38 special, well that is kind of silly IMO but that doesn't mean it can't be done as there are people who do it.

I can see a where a design with both a GC and PB in one mold is an advantage if you want to use the bullet to plink with (PB) or toast things up and push a bullet where stresses placed on it may be improved with a GC to acquire acceptable accuracy. Another thing to consider is the firearm used. If the bore is not inducive to shooting a PB bullet then a GC bullet maybe the only thing that will work unless the bore is reconditioned to work with a PB design.

ghh3rd
10-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I recently ordered a group buy mold with 2 PB cavities, 2 GC cavities, and one GC HP cavitiy. I figured I would cover all possibilities with one mold.

hiram
10-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I asked Mihec about a pb and gc cavity cut in the same mold block and he said he could not do it.

white eagle
10-11-2010, 12:20 AM
my first range session with a g/c in my 44 mag proved to be very accurate
I used the same weight boolit and powder charge the only dif was the g/c
to say I was excited about the accuracy I got would be an understatement

44man
10-11-2010, 03:08 PM
How about a PB in the .500 JRH at 50 yards? I have been getting away from the GC because of cost. Adjust the alloy and this was shot with water dropped WW metal.
I only use a GC when lead is too soft the take the rifling. The GC has a place for sure but there are times it is just not needed.

BABore
10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I've got two boolit designs, the 360640 PB and 360640 GC. They are as identical as possible with the exception of the base band area. I made myself a mold of each and compared them side-by-side, with the same loads, shot at the same session. Both WW296 and 2400 were used for powders. The 50/50 WW-Pb alloy was shot both air cooled and water dropped. In all the variations, the PB boolit shot more accurately. The GC version had a couple notable groups, but it didn't hold a candle to its PB cousin. I've had a few others try both and came to the same conclusion. I ran into a similar situation with my 434640 GC. The cherry was ran a bit shorter to match the GC boolit weight, the the GC shank was removed. Again, the PB version fared better. It doesn't always work that way, but I do gennerally get PB boolits to shoot better in wheelguns.