PDA

View Full Version : good but one low/lott

charger 1
09-21-2006, 09:40 AM
I got the 460 grain LBT I ordered and quik fast like a bunny casted and hardened some.77.5 grs of H335 and a lee 7cc scoope of filler/shot buffer. Nice compression into crimp groove.2340fps. I'm not timid when it comes to recoil. If I'm not bruised I havent been out shooting. However at my little 75 yd range out backdoor for as long as I still have neighbours it will group and well I might say.All touch,some in same hole.Occasionally will drop one low 1.5 inches.pretty good left and right just low. Now my thinking is its not the gun or the load and I do let the gun sit a full ten minutes to cool between. My way of thinking is it must be the grip I'm taking.The ones I drop I must be putting a bit u muscle onto the grip. The thing is this gun has never fit me well on the bench forcing me to feel the need to grab by times cause the begger never sits on the same bone twice in my shoulder. Thoughts pls.
gun
load
gripping

Bass Ackward
09-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Occasionally will drop one low 1.5 inches.pretty good left and right just low. Now my thinking is its not the gun or the load and I do let the gun sit a full ten minutes to cool between. My way of thinking is it must be the grip I'm taking.The ones I drop I must be putting a bit u muscle onto the grip. The thing is this gun has never fit me well on the bench forcing me to feel the need to grab by times cause the begger never sits on the same bone twice in my shoulder. Thoughts pls.
gun
load
gripping

Charger,

No, I doubt that it's grip. It's something related to the load or loading of the shells.

Can be a bunch of things. Bad or smaller diameter bullet, hard brass, bad or light primer, or lube flier. (get's my guess) Does it give you any clues like blackening on the outside the case? Check the muzzle with a flash light on the flier and see if you see leading. Does it always happen about the same shot in the string? Is it cold up there yet? Just wait until it does get cold. You will need a ruler to measure that flier. :grin:

If you have no clues, then you could use a chrono to see what happens on the low one.

charger 1
09-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Thats what I dont get. Its not any particular shot in the string. Nothing odd about the shot other than the recolection that I may have gripped a bit harder. I would have thought that if a burn was bad enough to see 1.5" over that short of distance recoil would be lighter or atleast a show of unburnt powder

Bass Ackward
09-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Thats what I dont get. Its not any particular shot in the string. Nothing odd about the shot other than the recolection that I may have gripped a bit harder. I would have thought that if a burn was bad enough to see 1.5" over that short of distance recoil would be lighter or atleast a show of unburnt powder

Unburned powder? Possibly. But not necessarily. It would depend on the burn rate. You really need access to a chrono to see if it is a change in velocity or not. If it is a change in velocity, then you have something to chase. If the velocity is normal and within range then you have other things to chase.

I suppoose it could be grip, but if you can feel 2000 psi of recoil difference at that recoil level, you danged sure ought to be able to sence grip change. And it would be there with jacketed too. If jacketed groups consistently, then it ain't grip.

And if you think it is grip, you can purposely test for it too. Just play around and see if it has any correlation.

I don't want to bias your thought process. One more simple test. Try not waiting so long between shots to keep the barrel warm and see if they get less, settle into a particular position in the string, or stop all together.

beagle
09-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Charles...I'll go along with the grip theory. My .25-20s like that as well and lever guns seem really bad about it.

I'll throw three in a nice group and decide that, hey, I got a good group going so I'll try extra hard on the last two. I may tighten the grip or slightly change position and the other two will be out by maybe an inch.

Yet, shooting with kind of a loose grip and I can hit about anything at 100 yards I want to so I know the load's good...or at least I think it is based on the way it shoots.

Based on these experiences, I'm voting for the grip/pressure thing.

Big bores seem kind of antsy on stock pressure anyway./beagle

charger 1
09-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Well all.It werent grip and it werent anything else mentioned here. . I'd like it left there....Oh dont worry about it happening to you cause you' all aint married to my wife. Theres grip,loads,tightness of everything. Then theres wimen folk puttin crap up that wasnt in your firing line before and not tellin ya.Its a one holer now,no thanks to my multi holer...Nuff said[smilie=b: