PDA

View Full Version : Sharps 1 Antelope 0

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Got this little guy this morning. Lots of fun stocking him.
2.3 sharps , 80 grs goex 1f, 500 gr patched bullet from the old west .435 mould. 125 yds.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/Hunting2010001.jpg

John Boy
10-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Closer picture than the other one. Again - Congratulations and still envy you and others West of the Mississippi!

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
John we got realestate agents all over the place, want some web sites???
What you save in property tax alone would cover a new Shiloh EVEry year. Not to mention no income tax. No permits to have a weapon, no qouta on how many you can have.....No gun locks.... Gas is 259 a gallon right now......Antelope ,deer,elk licenses available....

longranger
10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Diesel is $2.85,I spend less than $200.00 a month on utilities and I second Mr. Mc Dowells sentiment on guns.
Beautiful buck and background.You could'nt pry me out of this state,best kept secret anywhere,best people as well.
Mr. Mc Dowell any idea what the name of the plant that is growing green in between the dry grass ? and do the animals eat it ?

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 09:28 PM
It's rabbit brush and not much eats it.

bigted
10-08-2010, 09:31 PM
nice goat don. i used to shoot em with an ol 30-30 just south of little america. and one along the hamsfork while working the rigs there. i agree about the secret about wyo. when i worked there i should have stayed put but the gypsy took over and now ive found another paradice...alaska! here i hunt on foot and am proud to report that i come in second on the food chain here. formost is the grizzly but alaska can and does kill every year to those who dont pay attention. anyway Don im envious with the antelope. should be tasty for sure. last one i got there i broiled over a campfire and baked taters n we all just sat around eating n gettin fat...whewww the memories...its good to have those to rethink and relive all cozy inside around the wood fire as the snow falls...yep its starting already here.

must be in the air as i went out and nearly froze my fingers off this mornin since we typed back n forth. my pedrosoli is such a gas to shoot. now i have fireformed brass that will stay with the 74 till they give up the run.

thanks for sharing this photo of another sharps excursion.

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Ted I lived several years in Green River, Granger and Lyman.

home in oz
10-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I have got to try this type of hunting soon.

bigted
10-08-2010, 10:14 PM
lived in green river myself with my family for little better then a year. then up to hewlet to drive log truck for a stretch. definetly enjoyed the hunting and almost lost a leg to a huge jack rabbit while hunting the south pass mountains.. yep he was snarlin n growlin and clatterin his nasty yellow teeth till i let the wind outta him with a 54 hawkins i was shootin at the time.

seriously i really had a huge time in wyo the time i spent there. am tempted to buy a small place to retire to when the time comes. as memorie serves the summer lasts there more then 3 mounths. i could get used to that again i think. id have to find a place around south pass as there the main memories live and i bet the places have not changed a spit so i prolly could keep from gettin lost. spent time on the Momberg ranch while there and got to know a couple families in Thermopolose and i like the mountains there as well.

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Did you run across the Spanglers at Hulett? Good friends of mine, used to go up there and help old Bill herd minnesota deer hunters around...

littlejack
10-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Don:
Good for you. That is a nice trophy. I see that you were not using your new sight.
The barrel sight seems to have been adequit. Again, congratulations.
Jack

Don McDowell
10-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Jack the Hielman goes on my C Sharps.
This is the Cij gun....

dave roelle
10-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi Don:

Nice job on the wild west type critter there sir---------------i'm heading for the east texas thickets tomorrow and see if we can find a pig to put a hole thru for a bbq.

Love to chase those goats in west texas actually hunted them on the ranch where the movie "giant" was shot some years ago.

dave
dave

Don McDowell
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Antelope are my favorite biggame to hunt, when you actually get out and hunt them it's quite the challenge.
Good luck on the pig shoot and wish we could be there for the -bq.

saz
10-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Looks like some good eatin there Don! Congrats!

dave roelle
10-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Don:

This is one of the little devils that i reduced to bbq a few years back-------------they are fun and can be quite excitingl

We hunt em hear after the weather cools before the guns anounce the deer opener.

Hope the next time i'll be able to turn the Sharps loose on em.

have a great weekend

cajun shooter
10-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Don, I wish I could be there to have a plate. Three years ago my wife and I took my 80 year Mother and my step dad to Colorado. We drove up from Louisiana. When we reached Northern New Mexico close to Raton I spotted a large herd of antelope. My Mother has never been west of the Mississippi. I was able to stop my truck within 100 yards or so of them. I had my Mother look with my binoculars and she was shaking so bad that she was having a hard time keeping on them. She handed me the Nikons and said " I have never seen that many cantaloupes in my entire life" I laughed so hard I could not drive. When she finally was told why we were laughing she joined in.

Don McDowell
10-13-2010, 11:21 AM
That's a neat story David

JJC
10-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice lope. This year I went 5 days after the season opened. It's hard not to get hunting opening day. But they were calm and glassing was good. Going to try my 45 70 lever next year. Show up without a scoped bolt and the looks begin, then you get one. Nice work

Don McDowell
10-13-2010, 11:45 PM
It's an awful lot of fun to get out on the ground and hunt them with something that you have to get close to be assured a clean kill...

Yellowhouse
10-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Fellas, if eight or ten antelope had been lined up behind that Plains Goat, Don could show you a covey. The tankbuster is a pretty awesome pill.

saz
10-14-2010, 12:36 AM
It's an awful lot of fun to get out on the ground and hunt them with something that you have to get close to be assured a clean kill...

That is why I have been a muzzleloader hunter for a long time.

Don McDowell
10-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Fellas, if eight or ten antelope had been lined up behind that Plains Goat, Don could show you a covey. The tankbuster is a pretty awesome pill.

Aw Sam it's not that much of a bullet....:bigsmyl2:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/paperpatch.jpg

Don McDowell
10-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Saz I spent a bunch of years hunting with nothing other than a 54 flintlock, or a 14 ga double.