PDA

View Full Version : 6 Gang boolit mold question

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-21-2006, 07:50 AM
I've been told that the 6 gang boolit molds can tend to not drop consistent projectiles out of all the cavities. This is what is keeping me from getting in on the .360-180 group buy on here. I don't want a mold that drops boolits out which are differing in diameter and such. I have used a double cavity mould for many years without problem, even a double cav. aluminum from mountainmolds.com which was excellent. But when I look at the longer block of aluminum of a Lee, I just don't see how they keep their heat in the blocks for consistency.

Will the much more enlightened around me tell me if what I've heard is wrong?

Thank you

jcadwell
09-21-2006, 08:07 AM
If you are worried about absolute accuracy, perhaps there is some truth to the idea that the 6 gang drops different sizes. In practice, in my experience, it isn't a problem. I use 6 gangs for both 45 and 40 cal bullets without any problems. The large block of aluminum heats quickly, and conducts well, so if anything I would expect more consistent temps throughout the block. The whole idea behind the 6 hole molds is quantity. You can sacrifice quantity for a measure of consistency by using a 1 holer, but most people would rather shoot in quantity. I have found the 6 gang molds to be the answer for saving time, and making casting more fun. The differences aren't going to be huge if the holes are all cut the same. Mine drop within a thousandth of each other. A sizer takes care of that difference.

Cherokee
09-21-2006, 08:07 AM
There may be slight differences in the bullets from the cavities but I have never noticed it with the several 6cv molds I have. Once I size the bullets, they all seem to shoot the same for me. :castmine:

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-21-2006, 08:36 AM
I guess that I'm just projecting my tendencies for accuracy for buffalo shooting onto a levergun/pistol boolit...which at -200 yards that bit of difference isn't really going to make much for problems.

I never thought about the sizer taking care of the size differences...duh!!:roll:

Thanks, guys!!!!

GooseGestapo
09-21-2006, 09:10 AM
I've got a number of the 6-cavity moulds. I've noticed that the Lee mould cavities are VERY UNIFORM.

To see if I could detect a difference in cavities, I weighed approx 75 randomly selected bullets from a large batch quantity (~20lbs). This was from a .356-120TC mould. Bullets drop a nominal 122gr with w/w with a little (~2oz.) of 95/5 leadfree sholder added.

The spread in weight was less than 1.0gr, and the difference was due to the amount of lead "pulled" or "left" in the sprue when the sprue plate was opened.

Don't worry about the consistency of the mould cavities on the Aluminum Moulds.

The variation is less than the bullet to bullet variation from a single cavity mould.

ie: casting technique will cause a greater variation than differences in cavities

JDL
09-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Bubba, First let me say that I don't like the design of 1 or 2 cavity Lee molds. I don't like having to lube them because I always get some in the wrong place, then have to stop casting and clean them.
I shot some of the C430-310 in my .44 that a friend had cast and they shot excellent at 100 yards, so I knew I wanted that design. Another friend had just purchased one of the 6 cavity molds and showed it to me. Wow, what a difference from the 1 and 2 cavity molds, I was impressed! I cast my first with it last Firday and to say I was pleased would be an understatement. Weights vaired only one half of one percent, and when measured in 3 places along the length, a maximum of .001" was noted. I still don't like their smaller molds, but I really like the 6 cavity I have and will probably get another. It doesn't take long to empty the pot! :-) -JDL

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the additional replies guys, this only helped to solidify my decision on getting in on one of the group buys going on here.

Char-Gar
09-21-2006, 10:35 PM
If the question is...."Will a multi-cavity mold drops bullets that are not 100% identical to each other?" The answer is yes.

If the queston is... " Will the differences make a difference in terms of grouping as opposed to bullets from one cavity? Again the answer is yes

All of that being said, the difference is insignificant, unless one is after the ultimate supreme accuracy and is shooting in very high level matches, where even the slightest edge makes a difference.

Bullets from a 6 hole Lee mold will deliver MOA accuracy ( or better) without segregating the cavities. Providing however the bullet design and fit are good to start with and it has the proper temper. etc. etc. etc.

BruceB
09-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Gents;

Even though I have at least a score of Lee moulds, I really don't know much about just what is actually available from the company. For instance, could I special-order ONE six-cavity .338-220 mould? I know I should just call them up and ask, but it's night-time and I'm curious.

Any advice is much appreciated, as usual...

AnthonyB
09-22-2006, 05:50 AM
BruceB, you may order a single custom mold but will have to pay the set-up fee, which I remember as $100 when I ran the BD45ACP group buy. I'd go with one of the other custom makers at that price. Tony

BruceB
09-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Yep, I know how the group buys work.

However, what I'm wondering is if I can order one of their standard bullet designs in the 6-cavity format. My humble one-cavity Lee .338 mould has given me the best results to date in three .338 rifles, but single-cavity moulds take a lot of effort to make a pile of boolits. I wouldn't change anything from the current dimensions Lee uses on this .338 bullet.

Without a special-order design and the associated messing-about, it seems to me that it may be a fairly simple exercise to make such a mould. I'll likely try to reach someone at Lee to answer this question.

David R
09-22-2006, 06:25 AM
LEE 6 cavity molds are verry consistant. The last one I bought the boolits didn't differ by even one grain. diamater was all the same by less than .001 also. I have 3 or 4 30 cal LEE 6 banger group buy molds.

Weather the boolit will shoot well in your gun is a whole different story.

David

Bass Ackward
09-22-2006, 06:36 AM
I decided to play with this last night because I was curious. I have exactly two 6 bangers. One is a 240 grain 44 caliber. There wasn't enough difference to tell that you weren't simply using a 2 cavity mold measuring the results.

But the 30 caliber was more. And what I found was that most of the variation was coming from the farthest out cavity where the heat from the handles wasn't reaching. I had no desire to beat the mold trying to maintain that fast of a pace. 4 cavities was just fine for that bullet use.

So I suppose that the correct answer is that you have to mold at a pace that maintains the heat or just use the first four cavities if you need more precision. The key point being is that you have that flexibility.

45 2.1
09-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Yep, I know how the group buys work.

However, what I'm wondering is if I can order one of their standard bullet designs in the 6-cavity format. My humble one-cavity Lee .338 mould has given me the best results to date in three .338 rifles, but single-cavity moulds take a lot of effort to make a pile of boolits. I wouldn't change anything from the current dimensions Lee uses on this .338 bullet.

Without a special-order design and the associated messing-about, it seems to me that it may be a fairly simple exercise to make such a mould. I'll likely try to reach someone at Lee to answer this question.

They will still charge you for the standard boolit.

Buckshot
09-22-2006, 10:37 AM
............45 2.1 is correct. Even though you're wanting a design they already produce, you're asking for it in a different venue, ie: a 6 cavity block vs the single. You're gonna have to pay them for that 'one off' setup.

...............Buckshot