PDA

View Full Version : tabasco

Four Fingers of Death
09-21-2006, 06:03 AM
One part of American culture that I have enthuastically embraced is Tobasco sauce. I have it on my bacon and eggs every morning and on most every other thing.

The small bottles were all that was available her for many years , but recently it has become available in 150ml, which is about three or four ounces I suppose (the convertor wont work).

Am I imagining it but is Tabasco a lot weaker nowadays? I remember I used to use 6 or so drops in a dish for two, now I shake more than that on my eggs.

I notice in pics of restaurants in the states sometimes they have what look to be almost pint bottles on the table. They won't put it on the table here, you have to ask for it. Aussies think that things like passing wind in lifts and squirting tobasco on your mates food when he is not looking to be extremly funny. Our women don't share our excellent sense of humour, which is unfortunate.

Mick.

sundog
09-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Mick, tabasco is a staple, like flour, coffee (tea in your part of the world), and salt and pepper. I keep a big bottle on the table here at home right by the salt and pepper shakers and sugar. I have a big bottle at work for my lunches. And, there's a spare in the pantry. When I was still in the Army, I had one in my ruck. Never went to the field without it! I don't think it's changed over the years. You've just gotten used to it. sundog

bruce drake
09-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Mick,

You should switch over to Tabasco's Habanero Sauce (the green bottle). It'll clear your sinuses quicker than you can grab for the glass of water.

Bruce

Shepherd2
09-21-2006, 08:24 AM
You are building up a tolerance for Tobasco Sauce. You'll find yourself using more and more. I hear the Habanero Sauce is downright painful.

Boz330
09-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Tobasco has a new one that is called Chipotle that isn't that hot but has a really nice taste.

Bob

wills
09-21-2006, 08:34 AM
You are building up a tolerance for Tobasco Sauce. You'll find yourself using more and more. I hear the Habanero Sauce is downright painful.

Not painful at all, has a hint of tropical punch flavor.

wills
09-21-2006, 08:45 AM
One part of American culture that I have enthuastically embraced is Tobasco sauce. I have it on my bacon and eggs every morning and on most every other thing.

The small bottles were all that was available her for many years , but recently it has become available in 150ml, which is about three or four ounces I suppose (the convertor wont work).

I notice in pics of restaurants in the states sometimes they have what look to be almost pint bottles on the table. .

Mick.

Here is what everyone needs
http://countrystore.tabasco.com/index_category_more.cfm?tlcatid=2&catid=46&moreid=C607

http://www.tabasco.com/main.cfm
http://www.pacefoods.com/default.aspx
http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

That 150 ml is about five ounces, US.

Like the http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=9391 topic suggests, it seems manufacturers are putting less “goody” into the product. I remember medium Pace Picante Sauce was almost hotter than I could tolerate on a tortilla chip. Now the stuff is so bland I can drink it out of the jar and it hardly seems to have any flavor. I guess there is less peppers in it.

Funny thing though about how peppers can vary in heat. I once grew some that were mild at one end and hot at the other. They were supposed to be Jalapenos but did not look like any jalapenos I had ever seen.

Steel Assassin
09-21-2006, 09:20 AM
It appears that another prayer has been answered! Woo Hooooo!!!

KCSO
09-21-2006, 10:12 AM
A friend that grows peppers said that this year due to the dry conditions the regular jalapino's went 65,000 scovilles??. Bottom line the peppers were a lot! hotter this year.

Old Ironsights
09-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Meh. I can't even use Tobasco any more for anything but a sauce base.

I keep an eyedropper bottle of "Pure Cap" (http://www.hotsauceworld.com/purecap.html) (capsicum in oil) in the 'fridge for "heating" food.

500,000 Scoville units :twisted:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1916_32135851

I also make a dandy massage-oil with it. Beats Tiger-Balm six ways to sunday.

bruce drake
09-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Iron,

Oh my God!!!!

That would be cruel blow to add a drop of that to anyone's meal without them knowing.

Bruce

jballs918
09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
this is the end all to end all http://www.insanechicken.com/blair_s_16_million___world_s_hottest_hot_sauce.htm l

Old Ironsights
09-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Iron,

Oh my God!!!!

That would be cruel blow to add a drop of that to anyone's meal without them knowing.

Bruce Never. Not to anyone who was really unsuspecting and not a hot-food freak anyway. :twisted:

This stuff is a fantastic food additive. It has no "flavor" only heat. I put a couple of drops into my Herb Bread when I'm loading the bread machine. Makes it all warm and tingly.

Old Ironsights
09-21-2006, 11:57 AM
this is the end all to end all http://www.insanechicken.com/blair_s_16_million___world_s_hottest_hot_sauce.htm l

Blair's is interesting, but after a certain point you have to say "Why?"

Blair's is mostly bottle & packaging anyway. Opening it would ruin the "value".

jballs918
09-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Has anyone ever tried the suace called the bomb. it is like 5 million units. we had a guy at work take three drops he was done for about 4 hours lol

walltube
09-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Try this link, Ya'll:

www.tonychachere.com

FIY, South Louisiana cuisine is not all about inflicting pain. But we'll accomodate your macho if you are so inclined. :)

Enjoy,

W'tube

flhroy
09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey Mick, try 5 or 6 drops in the next beer you drink.

wills
09-21-2006, 03:47 PM

$289.00 !

HTRN
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
That's a collector's item - nobody actually uses it for food.

And Blairs has a nasty aftertaste due to the way it's extracted, Dave's Insanity sauce, at a healty 9000 Scoville units, and at $8 or so is much better.

4fingermick: You can only get it by the 5 oz bottle? You have my pity, while 2 & 5's are pretty much everywhere, if you know where to look amongst American Supermarket Chains(Shoprite for instance), you can get 12 ouncers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Hotsauce.jpg

BTW, the best hot sauce is the one you make yourself - why not grow some habenero's, and whip up a batch? The nice thing about most Chile plants(and isn't terribly well known by your average gardener), is they're perennials. The season over? Dig up the plant, put it in a pot, and enjoy fresh Chile's in January - I'm getting to move my plant indoors, just gotta find a good spot where it will get some sun.

HTRN

Old Ironsights
09-21-2006, 04:35 PM
That's a collector's item - nobody actually uses it for food.

And Blairs has a nasty aftertaste due to the way it's extracted, Dave's Insanity sauce, at a healty 9000 Scoville units, and at $8 or so is much better. I agree. There are so many more/better hot sauces out there (http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hottest-hot-sauce.html). Most have too much "flavor" for me (ginger, ginsing, vanilla, whatever). I prefer the pure heat of Pure Cap. A little Heat brings out the natural flavors better than Salt IMO.

4fingermick: You can only get it by the 5 oz bottle? You have my pity, while 2 & 5's are pretty much everywhere, if you know where to look amongst American Supermarket Chains(Shoprite for instance), you can get 12 ouncers.

You can always buy it directly from Tobasco. They are good people to work with. I even ordered fresh (taste-free) poly-tops for my the empty Tobasco bottles I used to carry Vermouth in while working as a roaming bartender.

NVcurmudgeon
09-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Trivia about the McIhenny family. A member of the McIlhenny familywas a Rough Rider and went home from Cuba to run the family hot sauce business. Could he have learned about Habaneros during the Spanish-American War?

Trivia about illegal aliens. The last few years of my residence in California were marked by wall-to-wall, non English speaking Hispanics everywhere downtown. Two noticeable changes in the local super markets were a huge expansion in the number of brands of tortillas, and several Mexican brands of hot sauce reducng McIlhenny's shelf space. Safeway or Albertson's can probably estimate the illegal population more accurately than the INS can!

BCB
09-21-2006, 08:16 PM
An ol’ army buddy from many years ago sent me some Tabasco pepper seeds. I got a few of them to grow years ago and have kept the strain going each year. They are very difficult to grow north of the Mason/Dixon line here in PA. I do get a couple of plants each year that bear the small peppers. I dig them and let the roots on them. I then hang them in my garage and they dry. An electric coffee mill does the rest. I make a hot tomato juice and I add one 25 ACP case (an empty hooked to a piece of solder wire!) of this powdered Tabasco pepper to each quart. It is hot but really good. I prefer a bit of pepper flavor along with the heat. A few shakes of this ground pepper are also good in a bowl of homemade chili. Tabasco’s are surely good…BCB

Four Fingers of Death
09-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the links and info.

Our army ration packs contain a tabasco sachet nowadays, my son bought heaps of them home as he is not a pepper head like me. Handy to have in the backpack. My wife actually use one is a soup last night.

I also like curries. I remember the old curry powder in the ration packs. It wasn't very hot, but you could just keep adding sachets until you got the taste you wanted and it didn't spoil the flavour. Good stuff.

My wife bought some Thai Chilli plants last year which we grew last year when I was working up north. It is a lot colder here at home, so I don't know how they will go. I suppose I could grow them in pots on the verahdah away from the frost.

Now that I am retiring, I should build that greenhouse we have always fancied.

Mick.

Scrounger
09-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Trivia about the McIhenny family. A member of the McIlhenny familywas a Rough Rider and went home from Cuba to run the family hot sauce business. Could he have learned about Habaneros during the Spanish-American War?

Trivia about illegal aliens. The last few years of my residence in California were marked by wall-to-wall, non English speaking Hispanics everywhere downtown. Two noticeable changes in the local super markets were a huge expansion in the number of brands of tortillas, and several Mexican brands of hot sauce reducng McIlhenny's shelf space. Safeway or Albertson's can probably estimate the illegal population more accurately than the INS can!

One of my favorite war books is "Semper Fi, Mac", in which they talk about a lot of old China Marines and others who fought in the Pacific in WWII. One of the Marines they interviewed mentioned that his battalion leader was a Colonel McIlhenny who lived on an island in the Mississippi River and marketed a famous hot sauce. I guess we can figure out the name. He spoke very well of the Colonel.

Four Fingers of Death
09-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Sundog, I tried a 4-5 drops in a small glass and poured beer in, ok taste, but the head disappeared. Might have been the glass. I don't drink much beer these days (trying to lose weight), so I will try it later. We have a cowboy shoot this weekend and I will be camping over, so just to be polite, I will drink a few beers around the fire. Just to be sociable!

Has anyone ever tried teh New Zealander's Kaita Fire? Good stuff, especially their green chilli sauce.

Mick.

flhroy
09-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Mick pour the beer first then add the Tabasco on top

Boz330
09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
That's the only reason that I drink beer, just to be sociable. I would never want to offend anybody by not drinking their beer. Oh and it tastes good too.

Bob

Edward429451
09-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Tabasco doesn't seem as hot to me as in the past either. When I started using it almost like ketchup I started using the habenero sauce to get them btu's back up there. Now the habenero sauce isn't as hot as it was. I think I'm just acclimated to it.

When I used to live in Ft Collins, there was a shop that kept all sorts of hot sauces on a counter. Most were mild to me but one kind (can't remember the name), with just two drops was great. At first taste there was a huge burst of flavor and then my tongue caught fire. Wish I could get that stuff down here in the Springs.

Old Ironsights
09-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Check out the links I put in my messages, or the one to insane chicken linked in another post. You can get almost anything in one of those two places.

fourarmed
09-22-2006, 05:46 PM
My favorite way to use habaneros is powder. Put two rubber gloves on your left hand and one on your right (knife) hand. Cut 'em open and remove the seeds and veins. Put them in your dehydrator and dry them until they're hard. Grind them in a spice grinder or coffee grinder (Clean well before grinding your coffee in it.)

When popping 3/4 cup of popcorn in olive oil, throw in a quarter teaspoon of hab powder. Sprinkle a tiny bit on any food that needs a little pizzazz. I like the powder because it doesn't have the vinegar that most liquid sauces have. Unless, of course, you want the vinegar too. Like in ham and beans. But then you generally want more vinegar than you could stand from a really hot sauce.

flhroy
09-22-2006, 08:41 PM
fourarmed have you ever tried roasting your habaneros in a cast iron skillet before grinding them? I use moderate heat and no oil when I want to grind them up. When I do a salsa I'll use a little oil and some minced garlic before grinding them up. I just love the taste of the habaneros.

drinks
09-22-2006, 09:27 PM
My wife and I collaborate,I grow at least 10 different peppers, sweet, mild and hot to superhot.
She chops and dries them, then grinds them up and it makes a wonderful seasoning to add to most anything, not only hot, but a nice pepper flavor as well.
Habaneros, tabascos and chili pequines are pretty hot, but I have never seen anything close to an ornamental pepper called "Floral Gem", would burn your hands through 3 pair of rubber gloves and if you touched your tongue to a cut piece your mouth would be numb for at least an hour.
Last saw them in 1984.

wills
09-22-2006, 10:24 PM
http://www.dorights.com/Peppersign/
Pictures of peppers
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/coastalplants/capsicum2.html
Petins

Old Ironsights
09-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Mmmmm

A nice salad of Pepper Serrano Tampiqueno (Scoville 4000), Habanero (3000+) and Floral Gem (4000), sprinkled with roasted Scotchbonnet Reds (100,000 - 350,000) :holysheep :shock:

I wonder how they would cross-breed... :twisted:

6pt-sika
09-24-2006, 12:49 AM
I started collecting hot sauces a number of years ago . Normally someone gives me a bottle or two for xmas . Anyway I have about 20-30 different bottles .

But I always go back to Tabasco . I keep all of the Tabasco sauces except the one with garlic . The reguler , habenero and chipolte are all I need .:drinks:

I've gotten my hands on some sauces from Jamaica and the Virgin Islands that will flat light you up .[smilie=1:

fiberoptik
09-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Okie dokie der. Dunna forget der Tabasco she come in de Gallon jugs, yup she doo.
My mom thought I'd flipped as a kid, puttin chili powder in everything. The Marine Corps & Mexican (real Mex.) wifey do add to the heat. I grow mine in pots, bring 'em in every winter. Had some 5 years, till the squirrels got ahold of 'em. Chili Pequins grow wild in Mexican deserts!:drinks:

Four Fingers of Death
09-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Them squirrels got red rear ends? :-) Mick.

fourarmed
09-29-2006, 12:47 PM
flhroy, I will try that the next time I do habaneros and want to remove the wallpaper. Seriously, do you do that in the house or outside? The orange scotch bonnets and red habaneros we have grown will just about sear your sinuses and lungs if you dry them in the house.

flhroy
09-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Fourarmed, did it in the house ONCE! Been banished to the back deck with closed windows and doors since. Thank God for the coleman. Hey I even got my own dedicated skillet too. Seriously though I like what the roasting does for the salsas.
Next time you do hamburgers, or anything else for that matter, on the grill throw a couple of jalapenos on to roast also. When the skin starts to blister they should be ready. Seems to liven them up a bit.

Roy