PDA

View Full Version : c sharps, shilo, pedrosoli ;

bigted
10-08-2010, 09:32 AM
i been prusing thru the net and looking at sharps rifles as well as 1885 winnys. i own a pedrosoli 1874 and love it to death but as with most...i wonder what is next. so the question is two fold.

first i may have just wondered out from under my rock far enough to get some sunlite but it never occured to me that c sharps and shilo are not only in the same state but aparently in the same town in montana. must be some kinda rivalry there huh?

second is im inviting responses on opinions...[ i know huh ] on shooters choice of these fine rifles and why.

i shoot the ped and even tho it comes to me from over the ocean...it shoots like gangbusters. she is a longrange shooter with the 34 inch barrel chambered in 45/70. has silver endcap on the forend and a pistolgrip butt with a shotgun plate on the rear. this rifle weighs enough to obsorb most of the felt recoil generated with the 400 gr boolits i shoot thru her.

so let er fly here with the "opinions" and dont be shy with the photos of your rifles and do share your loads as well. i would like to hear about your "sop" for your sucess as well.

either we will get a fire built here with this or nobody will want to play...thats what im guessing[smilie=1: :coffeecom 8-)

BSkerj
10-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Like you I researched and reserched and finally came up with the Shiloh Sharps. I am now in the process of ordering one as we speak...the #1 Sporter with 30" barrel in the 45/70. Kind of spendy but what I have been reading well worth it. I won't have it in my hands though until sometime at the end of next year. I know this doesn't help you much, as far as info and hands on experiance but anything showing up here saying Shiloh or C Sharps I stop and read in hopes of learning something new before I recieve it. I don't know where you are located but I am lucky as far as only being about 3 hrs away. When they start production on mine they are going to give me a heads up so I can go up there and pick out the wood and such.

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
What sort of long range shooting are you doing with that combo? Most 400 gr bullets start crappin out at 6-800 yds, especially in windy conditions.
Have you tried 500+ gr bullets?that's what that rifle is twisted and throated for.
I shoot 72 grs of goex cartridge with a .060 fiber wad with 350-400 gr bullets for off hand loads. Either bullet will hold up 2-3 moa to 350 yds.
For long range either the lyman postell or the rcbs 82084 cast from 20-1, with either 65 grs of Schuetzen 2f, or 70 grs of cartridge or 2f express, with a .030 fiber wad. Those long range loads will hold 2moa or less as far as 1000yds if I do my part.

bigted
10-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Don, im def a newby in this game. i dont shoot any over 300 yds as there are no places here that ive found that i can shoot at longer. i live in fairbanks alaska and there is open places long enough here but id havta wade thru muskeg to do it. not my idea of fun...get enough of this during my hunting forays.

so yep im wanting to do the 500 gr stuff...just havnt released funds from my greedy ol hands yet for the mould. will be fun to find a more open range that has a longer yardage for this kinda shooting but i havnt found it yet.

im more hoping to reap the benefits of photos and opinion with this as im kinda on the edge of ordering another bp rifle and havnt completly made up my mind yet what im gonna order. i still havnt gotten the 1885's outta my mind completly yet either. as a kid i seen an 1885 that would take your breath away...was an origanal winny from back in the day and it was a 1 in 10,000 gun. wowww still kinda makes me sweat just thinking about that one. coulda had her accept for the kids and their mother... grocerys...diapers...gas...lol.

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Ted looks to me like the various 74 sharps debate is a moot point at this time. You already have one a good one, and the 85's are on your mind.
Well this current crop of Winchester bpcr's are definetly quite fine. Got one in 45-70 for my wife last August, and if she keeps up with some trigger time, there should be some really exciting things happen next competition season.. Here she is running it at the Sagebrush shoot.
http://forums.handloads.com/uploads/Ranch13/2010-08-31_000147_august_2010_032.jpg

bigted
10-08-2010, 10:50 AM
don... thats so cool. im envious of you having a wife that is involved with you and her rifle is the stuff. thanks for sharing this photo and her shooting.

Don McDowell
10-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Ted it's to bad more guys don't get their women into the shooting sports with them. If a woman is fitted up with a gun she likes in a cartridge that won't knock her silly so all the testosterone laden twits can laugh at her, she'll stand a pretty good chance of being a better shooter than the "head' of the household.
But back on topic, take a hard look at the 85's available from Winchester. The bpcr models are fitted up with Badger barrels and extra fancy wood, and the "traditional" models have in house barrels on them but are good quality none the less, and come with sight configurations that a fella could hunt with one. Where the bpcr models don't lend themselves to hunting to good.

Lead pot
10-08-2010, 12:19 PM
:-) There is no rivalry between the two companies. They are with in 200 yards apart on the same street.
Both make a fine rifle but warranty and customer service is second to none with Shiloh. I was in the shop at C-Sharps twice to get one of there rifles and left after ten minutes and went down the street and placed an order with Shiloh.

I have had two Pedersoli rifles and still have one., It was my first reproduction 1874 sharps back when the Quigley rifle first came out, but mow I have six Shiloh's and never looked at anything else in the Sharps line of rifles.

Don's wife is doing very good behind the butplate with her shooting. I have seen her being awarded two plaques in the Ladies class that I know of and every year she is shooting better.

Kurt

SharpsShooter
10-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Have you considered the 1875 C. Sharps? It is hands down the best bang for the buck IMO. Mine in 45-70 would put 10 shots in a ragged hole group regularly at 100 yards. It can be had with decent sight configurations and single set trigger for about the starting cost of a bare shiloh. C. Sharps uses Badger barrels and they are fine rifles.

SS

NickSS
10-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I own all of the rifles you are interested in. Specifically I have two Shilohs, one Csharps and two Pedersolli 1874 rifles and two C sharps 1885 High walls and three C. Sharps 1875 rifles. With proper loads they all shoot about the same. As far as quality the Shilohs are on top but the C. Sharps are so close that it is almost too close to call. Another thing I like about Shilohs is that mine are now worth about three times what I paid for them and they still are great rifles. I positively love my C. Sharps 1885 rifles and they are the ones I use almost exclusively for BPCR silhouettes. However my most shot and very favorite rifle of all of them is and old C. Sharps 1875 Business rifle I have owned since about 1990. The only thing I ever had to do was replace a firing pin I broke with it and it still shoots one ragged hole 10 shot groups at 100 yards. As for the Winchester High walls they are very accurate and I did own one for awhile. The only thing I can say bad about them is that you need a special tool to take them apart and put them together but they shoot very well.

bigted
10-08-2010, 09:42 PM
special tool? can you shed some light on this tool for me please? im leaning towards a browning or winny and i think the winchester will get the nod if i go 1885 but only becouse of the winchester stamp i figure they will have on them. i know the browning is probably the very same rifle.

EDG
10-09-2010, 12:07 AM
>I know the browning is probably the very same rifle. <
And designed by John Browning

semtav
10-09-2010, 01:18 AM
special tool? can you shed some light on this tool for me please? im leaning towards a browning or winny and i think the winchester will get the nod if i go 1885 but only becouse of the winchester stamp i figure they will have on them. i know the browning is probably the very same rifle.

If you are leaning toward one, buy Wayne McLerrans book first.
It covers all the Browning BPCR info you need. (The New Winchester BPCR are identical except for the Name stamp and lack of sights)
John Stepp makes a kit to make taking and putting them together easier, but you don't have to have it. (Just follow Waynes directions)
I took one of mine apart several times this summer, just so I'd Know how. Only used Screwdrivers and punches.

(I will have to correct myself.--If you need to replace the firing pin, you will need a special tool)

Kenny Wasserburger
10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
When it comes to the Sharps 1874, C Sharps and Shiloh are in Big Timber as Lead Pot pointed out they are about 200 yards appart. He is mistaken in that there are no problems between the Two Companies. Its all old news and not worth hashing or rehashing.

Bottom line: I own 5 Shilohs, and I also own 1 C Sharps 1875 in 22 LR as Shiloh does not make a 22. I went with the 75 for several reasons, #1 side hammer that must be cocked like a 74. #2 The Single set that C Sharps offers for the 75 is a excellent trigger similar to my 74's.

I bought the 75 for 2 things: 22 BPCR Silhouette and 200 yard reduced practice for long Range Creedmoor. In this respect it suits me quite well, and has a proven track record already on the Shooting circuit, It won the 22 BPCR Match at Big Timber in May with a 28/40, took 3rd in May At Alliance Neb 25/40 lossing to a Mod 52 win and a Anschutze. And took 3rd at Alliance in Aug lossing to 2 Ruger decked out Silhouette Rifles with match optics again a 25/40 score both Alliance Matches are shot sitting. Feed this rifle the right ammo it is a tack driver.

Btw Mine is scoped with a MVA 23 inch tube with Schutzen Mounts.

Lastly the Pedersoli's are excellent shooting rifles, fit and finish do not compare to the Big Timber rifles, if one gives it a real honest looking over, The forearms of the Pedersoli Sharps are as ugly as sin compaired to the Big Timber rifles of either make, having that belly diping Forearm, that is my opinion there. If they were the best available you would see them in the winners circle all the time. However you do not. The Importers do not have to pay the same taxes american rifle makers do such as the Federal Excise Tax, giving them some advantages in the Price Market.

Consider this: The very best shooters in Silhouette or Long Range that Shoot Sharps 1874 pattern rifles use Shiloh actions and Barrels, or Rebarreled Shiloh actions, with American Barrels. Such as Badger(no Longer made), Pac-Nor, GM, or Many Use Kriegger or Douglas, if they rebarrel. Another thing to consider:::: If you have problems with your Shiloh, their customer Service is second to none in the industry, they have over the past 16 years rebarreled two rifles for me that Quit shooting. The Second had a faulty barrel from the get go and finally just give up the ghost. These both were waranty work and no Charge. Keep that in mind when you purchase.

As was mentioned the 1875 is something of a Sleeper, and can be had at much cheaper price then the Top end Pedersoli's

On the Browing Highwalls, externaly they look like the Highwall, Inside they no longer have much in common with the Original John Browning rifle, and are made in Japan, with Badger barrels the First runs where, I think the Winchesters are using?????

KW
The Lunger

bigted
10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
kenny,,, i apreciate your opinion and its not the first time ive read these words from you. id razz ya and say that it sounds like you have interest in the two montana companys. but im not the razzing type nor would i ever speak my mind so ill forgo the temtation to say such things ...especially here where others could maybe read em.

i like when a person has spirit about his opinion and sir you seem to have it in spades. i apreciate your argument on these two companys and if i had it to buy again i would most certainly spend my money in big timber...however i already own the pedrosoli and as far as sharps go i really like it and she shoots well enough for this ol coot at the yardage i can get at. i wont release this from my ol knarled up hands and plan to keep shooting her as often as i can. if it wernt so dang heavy id snipe a moose with it but it weighs almost as much as a quarter does and i can barely drag my ol butt thru some of these places.

im leaning toward the 1885 and i have looked at the c sharps hiwall and wonder if they are built like the origanal? this is mainly what keeps me away from the browning and winchester. i know that neither of these are really the falling block that ol john m brought to us long ago.

does anybody know if the big timber 1885 is assembled with true 1885 like parts and finish? ive read their write ups and i havnt seen a mention of it yet.

Kenny Wasserburger
10-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Ted got a chuckle out of your post, you asked for an opinion, so I gave mine. No I dont have any interests in either company, it is a well known Fact that Kirk Bryan and I are very good friends and I have spent many a night in his home.

John Schofstall and I are not friendly, but he does build a darn nice rifle, he did me well on my 1875 22 I must admit and it is a fine fine rifle. He offered me a deal I could not pass on when I ordered the Rifle.

As for razzing me I do not mind it in the least. I can not comment on his 1885's I know nothing about them other then they seem from all reports a good American made 1885.

The Lunger
KW

Gunlaker
10-09-2010, 08:29 PM
does anybody know if the big timber 1885 is assembled with true 1885 like parts and finish? ive read their write ups and i havnt seen a mention of it yet.

I suppose it depends what you mean. I have an original 1885 (built in 1889). When compared to my C. Sharps 1885 there are a number of differences. They are not an exact copy of the original but they are a nice piece of work in my humble opinion. I do like the single set trigger too, which is not something you'll see on the late model Browning/Winchester BPCR 1885s.

With respect to C. Sharps vs. Shiloh 1874s, I have and enjoy shooting both. There is no doubt in my mind though that if you want _really_ nice wood, Shiloh is the way to go.

Chris.

NickSS
10-09-2010, 11:11 PM
I have two C Sharps 1885 high walls; a38-55 and a 40-65. There are some minor differences from originals but they are pretty close to late model Winchesters made after 1900 or so as the have coil srings in lieu of the older one that had flat springs. The breach block comes out very easy (remove one screw and it pulls out the bottom). Both of mine shoot extremely well and they both average 2 to 2.5 moa at 200 yards or better when my eyes are working. I have shot some groups really close to 1 moa with both rifles at 200 yards. I bought the 38- 55 for my clubs reduced range silhouette matches shot at 200 yards (longest range available), and I have averaged 28 out of 40 for the year so far. The 40-65 is my full range silhouette rifle and I have a 26 out of 40 average for the matches I have attended to date. I do not have a scope on any of them so these are iron sight scores. However, we do not get wind like Montana does so I doubt that I would give Kenny and competion at all in his neck of the woods.

bigted
10-10-2010, 08:30 AM
very cool nickss. i understand the short range dificultys. i also am interested in the 40/65 cart. i like the looks of the 400 gr boolits from lyman and this is also a desireable hunting weight for me. any info on this cart would be very much apreciated.

also thanks for the report on the 1885's. i have an email in to c sharps as we speak about their rifle and the program it takes to aquire one. the photos on their site suck so i wonder if youd mind sharing picts of yours in detail with me here.

Gunlaker
10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Here is a picture of my latest 1885, it's a C. Sharps in .45-90. This is a pretty decent example of their extra fancy wood. It's a heavy 30" barrel with a shotgun butt and a single set trigger. The sights are also C. Sharps.

I believe that from order to completion was somewhere around 60 to 90 days, and that was for 2 rifles. The other is an unchambered 1874 that I'm going to chamber with one of Dan Theodore's paper patch chambers (based on an original chamber design with some slight modifications).

Edit: You'll get faster response by calling John on the phone than emailing. I find that it's usually 4 or 5 days to get a response to an email as I don't think they read them every day. With the phone call you'll know in 5 minutes :-)

Chris.

Boz330
10-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Ted,
I bought an 85 from C-Sharps back in 91 in 40-65. It was my silly wet rifle until I stumbled across a Ballard with set triggers. You will probably want to ask for a 16 twist barrel if you want to shoot 400gr slugs. 18 use to be the standard for the 40-65 from them. I never could get my 18 twist to shoot the 400gr boolits so I re-barreled to a Badger 16 twist. Absolutely get the set trigger. I didn't get it on mine and I am going to see if I can send it back and get it done.

Kenny,
I thought that Badger had just been sold to someone else, did they change the name or stop production altogether? Steve Garbe put a Badger barrel on my Ballard when I sent it to Wyoming Armory just over a year and a half ago. He said then that the old ones were getting a little scarce and no one knew if the new ones would be as good as the ones Ernie made.

Bob

Boz330
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Never mind Kenny I just spotted the other post on the Badger barrels.

Bob

SharpsShooter
10-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Here is a picture of my latest 1885, it's a C. Sharps in .45-90. This is a pretty decent example of their extra fancy wood. It's a heavy 30" barrel with a shotgun butt and a single set trigger. The sights are also C. Sharps.

I believe that from order to completion was somewhere around 60 to 90 days, and that was for 2 rifles. The other is an unchambered 1874 that I'm going to chamber with one of Dan Theodore's paper patch chambers (based on an original chamber design with some slight modifications).

Edit: You'll get faster response by calling John on the phone than emailing. I find that it's usually 4 or 5 days to get a response to an email as I don't think they read them every day. With the phone call you'll know in 5 minutes :-)

Chris.

That is a awful pretty highwall sir :D

SS

Gunlaker
10-13-2010, 12:07 AM
That is a awful pretty highwall sir :D

SS

Thanks. I can hardly wait to see how that one shoots. I'm just waiting for a batch of brass to show up in the mail :razz:

Chris.

bigted
10-13-2010, 12:35 AM
thanks for all the answers on this. i have another question fur yee.

the browning/winchester 1885 bpcr rifle...is this the same action as the b-78's...the ones that have chambering in 300 win mag and 338 win mag? just wondered if the action would withstand ruger velocitys and preassures if someday i wanted to load a punisher for kicks. maybe the barrel is the weak link huh? not an issue for the bpcr loads i know but just wondered if anybody knows this fact.

PatMarlin
10-13-2010, 04:52 AM
I sure would love to own this one:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Shiloh-Sharps-1874-Sporter-No-1-45-70.cfm?gun_id=100143754

NickSS
10-13-2010, 05:07 AM
My High walls both have pistol grip stocks other than that they look like the one posted. I never did check the twist rate of my 40-65 and have not shot it with anything but black powder. I use both the RCBS CSA 400 and the Lyman Snover bullets in mine and have tried a couple others that friends gave me to try out. I am able to get good groups with that rifle and am happy with it for silhouettes which is all I use it for. The cartridge is a good one and the brass can either be bought from Starline brass or resized from 45-70 cases. I use both and can not tell the difference between them. While I have never done it and am not likely to do so an acquaintance of mine got some J-word bullets and loaded his up to around 2000 fps and used it to take a nice bull elk last year. He said it worked very well for him.

bigted
10-16-2010, 01:58 PM
well i stepped rite in the middle of it again !!! went to town after shooting a rifle that just hurts when i pull the trigger. i got this windfall and wanted to use it for the project we been talking about and shazammm...i found a lever gun that just had to come home with me so i blew my windfall on this UGLY levergun. but whewww ... maybe now ill not get the snot blown outta my nose everytime i squeeze the trigger. i hate that !!!

speakin of snot blowin...i have this 458 that is beggin for some black powder to find its way into its huge cartridges so when i get the 500 mould from lyman ill have to blow some smoke thru it as well. she is a bolt gun but i bet i can have fun with it anyway.

so anyway i recon that the 1885 will have to wait for a spell now but thats ok as itll give me a chance to read more and tinker with stuff till then.

thanx for all the replys and advice and i like to read every post you all post. thanks again and keep em coming.

Jbar4Ranch
10-21-2010, 01:09 AM
I've got three 1874's; a Uberti .45-120, a Uberti .45-70, and a Shiloh .45-70. The Uberti .45-70 (Made by Pedersoli, of course), is definitely the most accurate BP cartridge rifle I've ever owned. Earlier this year, whilst tuning it up for the Montana State CAS long range side match, I shot a three shot, 500 yard group that measured a mere 3 3/8" center to center - just a tad less than 2/3 MOA. I put six shots into 7 1/4" later on the same morning. Fireformed Winchester brass indexed in the chamber, 65 grains (volume) Swiss 1 1/2 pre-compressed, .030 Walters wad, Federal 215, cast 535 grain Postell from a Lyman mould fully seated to the top of the upper lube groove, and five good long blows between shots. Sights are from Lee Shaver - long range deluxe Soule and a spirit level front globe.

My range with my house at upper left. That miniscule white backing is eight feet square with a 42" steel bullseye hanging on it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/500-3.jpg

The table is an old X-ray table from a remodeling job at the local hospital with a couple of wings welded on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/500-4.jpg

A little closer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/500-2.jpg

Up close.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/500-1.jpg

bigted
10-21-2010, 05:24 AM
very cool. i had a super week going then i visited my ffl dealer and ...[[ i knew better then to stop there]]. now im waiting for a win 1885 in 45/70 and a davidsons special rifle. looks very sexy in the photo and its brand new. final cost to me is...well maybe i shouldnt say...it were cheap so i ordered it in. should be here in around a week. now i got a couple rifles to play with the black powder in. should keep me in questions and thinking material for awhile anyway.

yeee haaaa

Don McDowell
10-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Ted which one of those hiwalls did you end up getting?

bigted
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
don, the 28 inch barrel, cresent butplate, straight wrist, what looks like a marples stand-up tang peep, blade front sight. they call it a davidson special edition. its what i used to refer to as the " hunter ". should be fun to shoot and at around 9 lbs it should cover targets and animules as well.

cant wait to get it in my hands to start the process to making it mine.

Don McDowell
10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Should be a good one. The bpcr model we got for my wife is sure a fine rifle. I have a hankering for one of those like yours in 405, but I must remain strong and not spend to much, I do have a 44-77 Shiloh on order......

bigted
10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
im def gonna try to find out if i can fit a pistolgrip but to it and a shotgun plate as well. ive got a leatherwood looooong scope that i want to try on it too. ill see...the rifle will speak to me when i get to handle it and just get aquainted first....maybe just leverite.

i have seen a hiwall in a photo with a leveraction lever welded on the existing lever so may have to order another lever and try my hand at making this modification.

Don McDowell
10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
You might run into troubles with the trigger plate and lower tang trying to go to a pg stock...

I have one of the newer 22 lowalls, and really don't think the pistol grip stock to be all that necessary, with the shape of the trigger guard/lever it's easy enough to get a good grip on the rifle.
I wouldn't want to shoot that crescent butt from prone on your big gun, but any other position ought to work fine.

bigted
10-21-2010, 10:12 AM
the last bruizer i owned with the ofending cresent butplate i wound up roughing up the metal and heating some orthotic shoe foam...[ read very dense] and forming it to the cresent. gluing it in place and waiting for the glue to dry i then ground it to form a cushion of sorts ...then i soaked some heavy leather overnite and built a slip-on butpad of sorts and overcame the cresent hurty shape. the lace up leather looked period correct as well as function very well. ill shoot her for awhile before i start ted-a-nizing it

bigted
10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
what i hate more then anything tho is the super deep shine that the brownings have on them. if this winchester is like this then job # 1 will be to break the deep shine and give it an oilly like tone without the deep shiney mirror like finish.

Don McDowell
10-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Treebone carving may have a set of stocks for that if you decide you need them.

bigted
10-21-2010, 10:35 AM
rite on....thanks don. ill just date her for awhile first then we can get aquanted proper then ill descuss with her what i expect...lol

Don McDowell
10-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Ted got to looking at the wifes hiwall, looks like all that a person would need is a pistol gripped buttstock. Pull the butt plate take the stock bolt out and swap buttstocks....

bigted
10-21-2010, 08:18 PM
that would be super if it works like that. if so ill just order one complete from winchester if they are available.

thanks don ...i knew you had one...or your wife did and id hoped that the trigger plate was the same on both...unlike the marlins.

wgr
10-24-2010, 12:19 AM
whats the main differance in the 1874 and 1875 sharpes

Kenny Wasserburger
10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
The 1874 Sharps is perhaps the iconic of the Sharps line and what it is most known for, the rifle that won the west as it were? The Buffalo Rifle. The 1875 is a trimer and cut down version and is different usually had a single trigger. And it was never a production rifle, John Bodine of Creedmoor fame owned one of the few made and used it in Long Range Competiton, records of him sending it in and having it rebarreled. The Rifle is in Private collection today recently on the Shiloh Fourm a guy had pictures of the rifle in a special glass case for the display of it. Neat gun.

I own one (1875) in 22 LR awesome shooter, With a special single set Trigger. With out a doubt a very good entry-competition rifle, under rated in my opinion, for the money a sleeper.

C Sharps only place you can get one. Fit and finish is not quite up to Shiloh yet none the less it is a step well above Pedersoli in my opinion in finsh and fit. Best part is it is American made.

KW
The Lunger

Don McDowell
10-24-2010, 10:41 AM
As Kenny says the 75 is alot trimmer than a 74, the lock parts are internalized in the reciever.
They are alot finer rifle than most folks realize. Joe Corley of Forsyth Mt, can probably take most of the claim for the design of that single set trigger used on the 75's now.
I also have a strong hunch that the 75 might be the basis from where John Browning came up with the higwall design...
Here's a picture of my 75 aka "Buttugly"
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/Buttugly.jpg

bigted
10-25-2010, 08:18 PM
jbar,,, thats a very cool shooting range. makes me homesick fot the wide open places in wyo. that is just the cats meow. thanks for sharing your range and the rifle looks rite at home there as well.

my hiwall is suppose to be here any day so im on pins n needles. b-day tomarrow so maybe??? be a cool birthday present tho.

bigted
10-25-2010, 08:21 PM
don,,, that "75" is the purtiest ugly duck ive seen. nice rifle and thanks for sharing her with us. looks like a shooter to me. what calibre and that heavy looking barrel looks heavy enough to absorb some recoil. more info pls??

Don McDowell
10-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Ted it's a 45-70, weighs right at 11 pounds. The single trigger was honed down to 3 lbs at the factory. Yes it can shoot and shoot very well , unfortunately this past year we had some sight problems that raised havoc.
I have reworked the forward part of the comb above the pistol grip some, so it's easier for me to keep a consistant grip when shooting from either sitting or prone sticks. It's a heck of an offhand rifle. I was able to hit the 7 and 900 yd buffalo at Rawlins about everyother shot off hand,,,,, the day before the actual match started... Offhanded the Quigley buff several times just piddlin around before the match also.

bigted
10-26-2010, 10:53 AM
don,,, i gotta say that ive shot some long range stuff with a scoped 270 but never had the opertunity to try my hand with these heavy 45/70's with the origanal style sites. the longest range i have available to me is 300 yds. i have a ball at this range but have never had a looooong range available to me to try these long shots with my sharps. havnt been able to shoot loong since i moved up here 12 years ago.

wouldnt exchange the trade off tho. i love alaska and love the heavy animules here. they make this heart sing as does the general countryside. its fun to camp out in bear country and know that your in his front room and hope he will allow it for a couple nites. lol...nothing beats waking up in the middle of the nite wondering what just woke you up and having to pee so bad your belly hurts but wait to "hear" if its ok to open the flaps of the cabin tent.

anyway i have to say im jealose of your open range and the countryside you enjoy there. i also like your 75 a bunch by the photo but i think my next will have to be a remington roller to complete my self made criteria for my "collection". maybe the 85 will show up today.

hey don im gonna pm you a question or two

41wyom
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Just a comment or two about Badger barrels being no longer available (9 Oct. post above).

Early this summer I called Badger to see if they made a .40 cal. in a faster twist than 1:16. They said no and I had a long conversation about the merits of BP burning behavior in a bottle neck vs. a tapered vs. a straight case and the pros-cons of faster vs. slower twist barrels (and some very interesting comments on the founding of Shiloh and C. Sharps). I mentioned that new look to their website made me think that maybe they no longer make BP barrels for C. Sharps. He said they still make them and John is still buying them.

Before I made plans to box up my C. Sharps Model 74 (in .40-65 1:16) to send it back to the factory for a new barrel and new chambering (.40-70 SS), I read my newest Handloader magazine and saw Mike V’s article that briefly mentioned that Badger was no longer making BPCR barrels. I’m guessing he may have seen the website and concluded that or possibly someone else had formed the same opinion I did when I first saw the new website look and that Mike heard that opinion and was influenced to comment on the subject. I sent a fax to Badger and again asked about them offering BPCR barrels and he said yes, they still do make and sell them. They were just getting ready to make a shipment to C. Sharps. I wanted to make sure before I sent the rifle back for the re-work. I want a Badger barrel in 1:16 twist.

Why change to .40-70 SS? It’s just a tradition thing. The .40-65 shoots great and is the best looking rifle I own. I don’t know enough about the differences between a Shiloh or a C. Sharps to comment on wood to metal fit and finish, etc. but do know that my experiences in dealing with and ordering a custom rifle from C. Sharps and the subsequent shooting experiences, have been very good. I’m fired-up to do a lot more BPCR silhouette shooting in 2011!

Tom

mustanggt
11-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm with you on the C Sharps. I have a 74 and 75 model and couldn't be happier with them. John was very good to deal with and when I want another he is who I will call.

saz
11-07-2010, 03:38 AM
As Kenny says the 75 is alot trimmer than a 74, the lock parts are internalized in the reciever.
They are alot finer rifle than most folks realize. Joe Corley of Forsyth Mt, can probably take most of the claim for the design of that single set trigger used on the 75's now.
I also have a strong hunch that the 75 might be the basis from where John Browning came up with the higwall design...
Here's a picture of my 75 aka "Buttugly"
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/Buttugly.jpg

Buttugly? Nah, I think she is purty! Neat rifle Don!

Don McDowell
11-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks SAZ she's a good one, but we don't always work together as well as we should. As much as I like the rifle and the action I prefer the 74 sharps and Winchester Hiwalls.