PDA

View Full Version : Cast some 500gr round nose for my trapdoor

oldracer
10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Whew, what a difference from the 158gr wad cutters! I thought the mold cavities would never fill. It took me about 5 pours to get boolits with no wrinkles or marks and then I made about 75 before I ran out of time. I did find that the Lee two cavity mold I used stayed hot better than the 6 cavity wad cutter mold and I got it good and hot on my Walmart hot plate before I started. I'll let them age a bit and use some of Knoell's bullet lube that I bought to see how they shoot.

x101airborne
10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
hate to say it, but that is one thing I prefer about the lee molds. I also cast some 500 gr boolits and have taken a piece of broom handle and one of moma's 1/4 cup measuring cups (stainless) to make a new ladle. I can easily pour two at a time and have plenty left over to heat my sprue plate. I also cut a slit in a 2x4 and laid the side of the measuring cup on the board and hit it with a dull cold chisel and a hammer to make a pouring angle. I have been tumble lubing for my trapdoor with good results.

MtGun44
10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Hope you have better luck than I did. Made nice silhouettes of the boolit passing thru
the target perfectly sideways!

I got the Lee 400 HB to work just fine in the one with the worn bore, the 405 RCBS did
fine in the one with the better bore, but the 500 was a disaster in my two Trapdoors. I
think it needed to be softer and bigger diam than my mold and alloy were permitting.
I have some dead soft alloy and may try again with that. WWts did not work for me
in that design, pretty sure it was way too hard, plus probably too small. Never did
slug the worn bore gun, but he 400 HB did the trick - apparently opening up like
a minie ball does to fit that sloppy old bore.

Bill