PDA

View Full Version : Vid of Mastercaster makin' Hollow Points

finishman2000
10-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Erik over at hollowpointmold.com figured out a way of making the mastercaster machine pump out hollow points as quick as non hp's. he made a set of 5 point pins and a set that would allow the stock bullet (non-hp) on my favorite 147gr 9mm mold.

He aslo took my DEWC and turned it into a hollow base wadcutter. I just got them back today and the vid is of the 9mm. I'll get to the wadcutter tomorrow after work.

I'm very happy with this a doubt that there is a faster way to make HP's.

Here is teh youtube link. i have no idea how to embed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLYoKGrbyGI

FAsmus
10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Finishman2000;

My only comment is to question the relevance of your video.

~ I mean, really, how many of us have a machine like that for casting bullets at all, let alone hollow points?

I was hoping for a demo of how you might be using, say, a Lyman 311299HP or something similar.

Good evening,
Forrest

finishman2000
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
then why take the time to respond?
the slowness of casting HP's has always been the reason why i didn't do it. you may cast in small amounts but some of us run large numbers of mostly pistol.
the other reason being guys using lee cavity m,olds say that they can cast as fast and some faster than using the mastercaster. well if you want hp's i do say this is the way to go.

so i'm sorry that you have no interest in things that you do not own. I will check with you next time i post a review of soemthing new that hasn't been seen on this site to make sure it's ok.

HATCH
10-07-2010, 07:34 PM
wish you had a close up of the mold as it drops the boolits.

garandsrus
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
FAsmus,

There are probably more of the machines in use by members here than you can imagine...

finishman2000 - Very cool! I am especially interested in the HBWC video when you get a chance to shoot it.

Was the only change to the mold? Can you provide some more info as to what the mold now looks like?

John

white eagle
10-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know once I get my mold warmed up I can cast as fast with a hollow as a non hollow pt
nice vid ingenuity keeps us moving forward
wtg Erik

AnthonyB
10-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I had the pleasure of using a MasterCaster that BD bought in a big sale from the guy who was the original LeadHead guy back 7 or 8 years ago. We bought him out; I got the Magma 90 lb pot and a Star with heater. BD got the MasterCaster with 20-25 moulds, and it took me about a month to get his stuff packed up. All of this was with his permission, and I'm still shooting bullets from that deal. I'm gonna need more of the 358-200 RFN soon and need him to get back home where he has everything set up...
I could really see a MasterCaster with a HP mold as a great thing.
Tony

kirb
10-07-2010, 11:35 PM
looks great would like to try some on my master caster. would like see how he or some of you others are catching the boolits.

kirb

crabo
10-08-2010, 12:30 AM
That was cool!

lwknight
10-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I agree , that was cool! I love that machine.
I would rerally like to see how the molds were made to work too.

finishman2000
10-08-2010, 04:46 AM
wish you had a close up of the mold as it drops the boolits.

they just fall off the pins very easily. actually is easier than without the hp. this pulls the bullet out ofboth halves of the mold and it seems that as the lead solidifies it wants off the steel pin.

finishman2000
10-08-2010, 04:47 AM
I agree , that was cool! I love that machine.
I would rerally like to see how the molds were made to work too.

here is the link to erik's site that shows how they work. the only difference is the he places a small bend on the end of the link that allows for the angle of the molds as they open.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/inset-bar-conversions/?picture=685#685

FAsmus
10-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Finishman2000;

You say;

so i'm sorry that you have no interest in things that you do not own. I will check with you next time i post a review of soemthing new that hasn't been seen on this site to make sure it's ok.[/QUOTE]

Me:

Pardon me!

I didn't know there was so much interest in such machines.

Yet, lighten up on any touchiness; only a very few folks here are being outright critical. Which does not include me.

Good morning,
Forrest

Paul4895
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Finishman 2000
Thanks for posting this. Because of your post I sent Eric two molds today. He is going to convert my Magma DEWC SGG into a HBWC to fit on my Mastercaster. I also have a RCBS 38-150 Mold that cast undersize, Eric is going to fix that mold for me too. Again thanks for the post, also I think that their is quit a few of us on this board who have and use a Mastercaster.:-D

Have you shot any of the HBWC? are they accurate?

BD
10-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm missing my machine for sure. Interestingly, We have a stone setting crew from Maine on the current job down here and I just heard today that the other guy in Greenville who owned a Master Caster passed away last winter.
BD

noylj
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
My reply is why isn't he patenting it?

uncle joe
10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
love looking at new machines, gets my idea mill running

runfiverun
10-12-2010, 07:27 PM
hmm..
i do have a couple of duplicate molds for the mastercaster[s]
appreciate the heads up.