PDA

View Full Version : How old were you

Charlie Two Tracks
10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I was just sitting here wondering if anyone was older than me when they started to cast. I was 59. To keep it confidential, I was going to post a poll with different ages but I can't figure out how to do it. If somebody can (or wants to) have at it.

Guesser
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I was introduced to casting in 1956 at age 11. I took it up on my own a few years later and worked at it as time, location and a military career permitted. I probably did more casting in a shorter period of time while we were deployed to the Indian Ocean/ North Arabian Sea Op area in 1985. At sea over 100 consecutive days, it was great to be able to cast a 10 year supply in only 3+ months. Restocked with alloy after a 5 day port call in West Australia and back to sea and casting we went. Several of us cast almost 3000 pounds of alloy into a wide variety of bullets. A truly rewarding experience.

sljacob
10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
I was 15 the first time I took up casting for my black powder .45 and .50 cal muzzle loaders, about 1978, after high school life got in the way and never picked it back up again until the last couple of years. I am now casting for .44 and .45 cal pistols but the goal is to cast boolits for all my guns.

Jake

docone31
10-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I started casting Tin Soldiers out of wheel weight alloy when I was 6yrs. I went from there to injection casting, lost wax casting, and then back to WW casting for pistol and rifle boolitts.
Today, I still lost wax cast, and I still cast boolitts.
Kinda in my blood. So to speak.

fishnbob
10-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Charlie Two Tracks, I was older than you. I was 65 years old when I started casting pistol boolits, about a year ago. I did cast black powder for about 15 years prior to that and I have been smelting & melting and making fishing lures for about as long as I can remember. It took a ammo shortage for me to see the error of my ways and put me to casting and swaging as well, for every caliber I own. I thoroughly enjoy it.

Cowboy T
10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Nah, just another whipper-snapper here. Glad I got started, though.

Jack Stanley
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I was introduced to casting in 1956 at age 11. I took it up on my own a few years later and worked at it as time, location and a military career permitted. I probably did more casting in a shorter period of time while we were deployed to the Indian Ocean/ North Arabian Sea Op area in 1985. At sea over 100 consecutive days, it was great to be able to cast a 10 year supply in only 3+ months. Restocked with alloy after a 5 day port call in West Australia and back to sea and casting we went. Several of us cast almost 3000 pounds of alloy into a wide variety of bullets. A truly rewarding experience.

And if ya think that handling a double cavity mold for a five inch naval rifle is impressive , you should see the biceps those guys got . :shock: They could get a job in any foundry in the world [smilie=s:

Jack

NWFLYJ
10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm 45 and just started this year. When I was a kid 6 or 7 my Dad would cast little Civil war guys for me to play with and sinkers for fishing. Wow I just realized that I played with lead toys when I was a kid! Mark

ph4570
10-06-2010, 08:59 PM
1960 at age 9. I had to cast my own to be able to afford to shoot my Ruger Blackhawk .357.

Fugowii
10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I was just sitting here wondering if anyone was older than me when they started to cast. I was 59. To keep it confidential, I was going to post a poll with different ages but I can't figure out how to do it. If somebody can (or wants to) have at it.

Sixty-Six

AZ-Stew
10-06-2010, 09:21 PM
My dad bought me a tin soldier casting outfit when I was 10 or 12, but I didn't get to use it much. They demanded adult supervision, but never seemed to have the time for it. I wish I still had that setup.

1972, right after I got married. I wanted a muzzle loader, so I bought a nice Kentucky-style rifle. Wish I still had it. Anyway, there were no commercial round balls available. I had to buy a Lyman mould, a dipper and use a pipe tobacco can heated on the stove in our apartment to make my boolits. Then it was a Minie (Lyman 445599). Then I bought a Colt Mk IV, Series 70 Government Model, and began casting the 452460. Next was a Smith Model 28 and the Lee 158 SWC GC. Then... and more, and more, and more.

I'm up to over 60 years and 50 moulds now, and I realize that's not many in some folks view, but I have at least one for each bore diameter I shoot, and obviously, several for some of them.

I'd like to know where Guesser kept his stash and completed boolits, and how he got permission from his command to do that hot work aboard ship. Maybe he was aboard a bigger ship than I was. The old Adams Class boats would fit two abreast in the hull of a modern DDG such as the USS Cole. Just curious.

Regards,

Stew

btroj
10-06-2010, 10:04 PM
17 years old. Learned sitting in future father inlays kitchen casting on his stove. Boy, that was a few years ago. Like 27 years, and where the heck did they go?

HeavyMetal
10-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Girl I was dating had a Dad that competed in Bullseye pistol in Sacramento in the late 60's. At the time 22 rifle and a 20 guage shotgun were all I had any experience with.

This guy taught me casting and reloading on an old A-4 RCBS press.

Something I will be eternally gratefull for my entire life.

One of the reasons I try to get shooters interested in reloading when ever I can!

Az Rick
10-06-2010, 10:20 PM
54 and just started a couple of months ago. Been reloading for 40+, Dad taught me so he could shoot more!

Rick

Oh yeah, I forgot we used to cast .45, .40 and .36 cal. muzzle loading balls, so I guess I was 12 or 13. Never felt like I had the time for casting till the kids got grown.

Eutectic
10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I was 7 years old...... It was a big time for me! My father let me buy my first big bore rifle! It was a Trapdoor Springfield .45-70. I paid $14 of saved allowance and birthday money for it.
My Dad ordered mold blocks from Lyman.... #457130... The "Collar Button" It tickles me that the 'Group buy' forum talks of this grand old bullet even now! I wasn't actually casting at 7 as I was still an apprentice... My Dad used my young eyes as the bullet 'inspector'. He taught me to load them under his supervision with a Lyman 310 tool. We didn't size the case. Only de-primed and primed it. He made a dipper by soldering a 9mm empty to a rod with a file handle attached. I remember him weighing the dipped black powder charge and telling me, "16 grains." I seated the Collar button all the way down into the case on top of the powder! The bullet lube was black! I remember he had beeswax, graphite, and Oildag in it... Not sure what else...
I had fun with that big old heavy rifle! I thought I was a big shot when the loud pop blew out all the white stinky smoke that smelled like rotten eggs. I punched many the holes into tin cans back then and never tired of looking at the BIG hole the Collar Button made! Washing the brass when we got home I never liked.

I still have that 457130 mold..

Eutectic

Frank46
10-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Got out of the navy in '67 and started with fishing sinkers. Hey we all have to start somewhere. Then bought a trapdoor a few years later and it was all downhill from there. Frank

mooman76
10-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I was 12 give or take a year. Started making slingshot pellets. Moved onto BP later on and finnally boolits.

Rockydog
10-06-2010, 11:37 PM
55! It was last year and every one of you is responsible. But especially mr mom, Slingshot, Steel13, Cyberguy, and fryboy. What a sordid cast of characters! Hope I didn't leave anybody out. RD

kodiak1
10-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Would have been 8 or so when Dad let me pour a few. Watched him do it from the time I was old enough to be around him probably 5.
Didn't really know any different thought that everyone did it that way. I guess I thought everyone was as poor as us or we were as rich as the other folks. Don't rightly know which it was, but never thought we were poor though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken.

10 ga
10-06-2010, 11:49 PM
1964 and I was 14. After a demo at Boy Scout camp Dad got the CW reenactor to go over grandads original Harpers Ferry 1842 .69 smooth musket. We got a minie mold for it from dixie and proceeded to cast those 700+- grainers and shoot that gun. I think we shot 35 grains of powder and used crisco for lube. I have that gun in the safe even now and some of those boolits we cast in the 60s and the mold. I take it out and clean the gun and stuff about once a year and it really brings back some great memories of old men with cigars, BP smoke, and good times. I can see grandad laughing at us boys when we'd shoot that big musket. I remember that "damn yankee, catholic, irish outlaw bootlegger" was president and it was difficult for the old guys to take and they cussed him frequently. I imagine they're really spinning in their graves now. Times they are a changin. Best to all, 10

9.3X62AL
10-06-2010, 11:52 PM
I was introduced to the hobby in the late 1960s in my early teens, but didn't take it up until 1981/age 26. Initially, the activity was kind of limited--but expanded as time went on. It continues to expand, and (hopefully) to refine in both production quality and downrange accuracy.

splattersmith
10-07-2010, 12:17 AM
63 years young and disabled. Moved from modern to 1850 and later rifles. Previously purchased pistol bulloots. Now I am a castin" fool. :lovebooli

patsher
10-07-2010, 01:17 AM
I was 69 when I started casting.

A couple years before that I ran across a brand new Colt .38 Detective Special in some stuff my husband fell heir to after his dad died, and I wanted to shoot it. No one else wanted to, but my husband said it was okay with him if I did. So I bought some ammo and tried it out. Had fun. There was also a little tiny Colt .25 acp that my husband said he dad kept in his safe. Well used. I had a gunsmith check it out, found some old ammo in the box for it, and we shot that, too. And that was fun, too. But the ammo was getting expensive.

So I got interested in reloading again.( I used to reload shotgun shells when the kids were little, and always enjoyed that). Our oldest son used to reload and cast bullets with his friends while he was in high school, and then got away from it as he married family obligations ensued. When I told him I was interested in reloading he was kind of skeptical, mostly worried about my safety, since he had learned (the hard way) how dangerous the shooting sports can be if you're not careful. He said he didn't have time to teach me, but he gave me his old Hornaday reloading manual and told me to read it. (I didn't tell him that I'd already bought the new one, and read it). I just assured him I would be very careful.

I kind of giggle when I read about you guys and your reloading dens, because I really understand. I cleaned out part of the storage room in the basement,cleaned off the reloading bench that's been holding up the canning jars for years, built some shelves between the wall studs, bought a new press and and dies for everything we have, and powders, and primers, and bullets and ...and ..and ... And now I tuck my little electronic scale between the peaches and the apricots we canned, and off I go.

Then our oldest daughter told me about the dates for a 2-day concealed carry class the sheriff was giving, and the 3 of us ended up taking it. Great class. Really good. Turns out the sheriff is the one who taught the firearms classes at the law enforcement academy. So we got really good instruction.

Anyway, the time came when I realized if I wanted to be TRULY prepared, what I REALLY needed was plenty of primers and brass and the ability to make my own bullets. Then it wouldn't matter whether the boneheads in DC passed laws making it hard on gun owners. When I asked our son about teaching me to cast, he was pretty skeptical about my casting, so I didn't ask him any more. I just bought more reloading manuals and read them, and started researching on the internet, and then found this site at some point. The rest, as they say, is history.

I started hauling around buckets of wheel weights, and then I learned smelting (I didn't know it had a name, I just knew it was too much to try to clean up the wheel weights and make ingots at the same time I was trying to cast bullets)! And I got better at it, and my husband started coming around and helping inspect the bullets after I cast them, and helping me lube them. And I bought more molds, and then more pistols, and more dies and more molds, and cast more bullets... and... MY GOSH! This is as bad as FISHING!!!!

Anyway, I used to cast on the back tailgate of the Rhino. Now I'm set up on my husband's old blacksmith forge, and the hood he has over it draws all the fumes up the stack. It's an ideal setup for casting! I'm inside in his shop, no fumes to contend with, I'm out of the rain and the wind -- what a deal!

I know how to make good bullets now (surprised my son, impressed him, even), I'm know now what I have to do to get rid of the leading problems, and I have plenty of time to work it out. No hurry. This is a great hobby, and I really appreciate being here. You're a very generous group of people, and I'm glad I'm to be part of it! Thanks, everyone!:hijack:

Pat

Artful
10-07-2010, 03:01 AM
I first started casting in effort to save money - I suppose I did considering how much more I shot - that would have been about 1977 or 1978 in my early 20's - I quit shooting when I got married and have recently started being more active - gave up casting when surplus was so cheap - 7 cents a loaded round for it don't waste my time reloading - now that they are trying to get a buck a round I'm back to casting stuff, forgot how much satisfaction you get from making to your own spec's

lwknight
10-07-2010, 03:18 AM
I was 18 in 1988 when I won a 44magnum SBH in a football pot. First hard lesson was that ammo cost $0.65 per each even back then. A box of Remington 50 rounds was $25.00 and a 20 round box was $7.99 . So I started reloading for the 44mag.
I was already reloading my 30-30 which by the way , ammo was cheaper than 44magnum.
Next thing to learn was that bullets cost 10-15 cents each. Yup , even back then.
I got a midwayusa add from a guns and ammo magazine and ordered the cheapest 240 bullets at $89.00 per 1000 in 1987 I think.

I also wanted plinking loads and lead was all over the place so I started casting my own.
I eventually found a local caster that was selling lead bullets for $4.00 per 100 so I quit casting for awhile but , never actually gave it up. I casted a few over the child raising years but was more concerned about food for the table than shooting.

Fast forward to the kids are grown and I get to shoot a lot so I cast a lot because I like it.

Typing this reply made me realize that ammo prices actually are cheaper today than they were 30 years ago if you consider the cost of everything else and wages of the time.

waksupi
10-07-2010, 03:26 AM
I believe it was '73 or '74 I started casting. Had a ML with no source for balls, so had to resort to alchemy. Also started reloading for a .222 at about that same time. I knew no one in my area doing any reloading at the time, and fully expected the rifle to blow up at any time, as I heard that was the usual result of reloading your own.
I was shortly out of high school, around 19 I suppose.

Gellot Wilde
10-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Fishing weights from old car batteries is my earliest casting venture memory I guess, age 9 or 10.

Lloyd Smale
10-07-2010, 05:23 AM
I was 22 and just out of the service. Started handloading at 17

bob208
10-07-2010, 06:21 AM
1971 was when i started. i was 21 bought my first blackhawk in 357. i cast 358429's over and old coal stove in my shop. loaded them with a layman 310 tool in 38 cases. worked all week casting snd loading. shot them all up on the weekend.

imashooter2
10-07-2010, 07:12 AM
5 or 6 before Dad would actually let me pour...

excess650
10-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I recall being less than 10 so would have been in the '60s. My brother and I used my dad's cast iron pot, ladle, and Colt roundball/conical mold in the fireplace. My first centerfire bullets were RCBS 44-250KT when I was 18.

JFrench
10-07-2010, 07:24 AM
I started in 1966 on my mothers stove with her blessings at age 12. Lyman ladle pouring a 311299 for a britsh enfield. I bought the .303 through the US mail from Hunters Lodge for $19.95.
James

onesonek
10-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Just getting started in this casting boolits. At 53, I figure it's never too late to start or acquire another hobby,,,,,,,,,or will it become another addiction????????????????????

reloader28
10-07-2010, 08:28 AM
10 years ago I was 29. Casting some lead weights for my second race car.

I had to add 400 pounds to make legal weight in that stock car and when I sold the car a year or so later, I sold it race ready and all the weight went with it. I've been making boolits and missing that 400 pounds ever since.

EMC45
10-07-2010, 08:29 AM
I was 22 when I first pulled the handle on a Rock Chucker. 23 when I first poured from a Lee bottom pour. This was 98 and 99.

lwknight
10-07-2010, 08:54 AM
There was a thread where everyone came and added their experience to the tally. I quit reading it at around 10,000 years or something like that.

Boondocker
10-07-2010, 08:54 AM
In my earlier days between working 2 jobs and raising a family (late seventies), the only shooting I did was pests and deer hunting. No need for alot of ammo. When i finished building my house( whew 3 yrs and while working 2 jobs) I decided to shoot more and get into hand guns. Still raising a family I taught myself thru books to reload. As said in a previous post components where a little steep to shoot into a dirt berm, I started buying lead bullets by the 500 box. I learned lead shot well if not better for my uses. I decided in the early 90"s to cast my own as being a mechanic I had melted a lot of iron in my life either welding or the blue tip wrench. Over time I had found this forum and soaked up a lot of knowledge. I do not post alot as I can probably not add much to the conversations. I have launched alot of pistola boolits and now in to refining ( learning) lead for my rifles. This is a great hobby. Over the years as a wrench I had aqquired alot of w/w and and working at the phone company enough lead cable to feed my front stuffers ( miss
that job,they closed our garage 12/30 to farm work out and they are getting where the sun don"t shine now and they are crying). I am going back to hauling freight. My master plan is to have a lead load for all my firearms. But yikes then I am looking at adding my calibers. Between the 3006 and 30/30 I have my 30's covered I think. The Marlin is going deer hunting this year with Ranch Dogs 165's. want to start messing with my 222 and lead next. Sorry for the long wind so I would say I started casting in 1990 at 33 yrs old. Steve:cbpour:

finishman2000
10-07-2010, 09:09 AM
15, couldn't afford to shoot otherwise.

gnoahhh
10-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Age 16 in 1969. Needed bullets for my .30/40 Krag. Started out with a 311241 PB 155gr cast out of soft lead. Out of ignorance, I lubed them with Vaseline and shot them with a hot charge of 2400. First couple of shots hit smack dead center, then it started shooting wild. After 20 shots I gave up in disgust and went home. Upon inspection of the bore I couldn't see any rifling! The grooves were packed solid with lead. Took 3 days and several bore brushes to finally get it clean. Only then did I consult an expert source. Ah, the hubris of youth!

primersp
10-07-2010, 09:49 AM
begin to reload for revolver in 78 ,6 months later for rifle and cast in the 79 at 24 years old

sqlbullet
10-07-2010, 10:08 AM
38, about two years ago.

I think I have made up some time in volume. Last account I had refined nearly 7 tons of lead. Not all became bullets I shot (I wish they had). I sell most of the lead locally to commercial casters. Makes my hobby free.

casterofboolits
10-07-2010, 10:36 AM
A buddy and his Dad decided we needed to load for our 30-06's in 1967 and for some reason I ended up being the main reloader. we went thirds for the equipment and I built a small loading bench in my spare bedroom. Oak 4"x4"s from an old barn and 2"x12"s for the top.

An RCBS Jr press, scale and lube pad got us started. My buddy was in the Ohio National Guard and brought home two large Kroger bags of once fired LC brass after his annual two weeks.

While taking those bags to his ole Plymouth station wagon, a german sheppard ran up behind him and bit him in the thigh. As the dog ran off and could not be located, he ended up having to take the rabies treatment and was forever after was called "Mad Dawg".

Started casting in "72" after returning from setting up a branch operation in Japan. I decided to do this after reading Kieth's Sixguns and many Skeeter articles in Shooting Times. Ordered all the equipment while in Japan and had it shipped to my Dad. Dad and my brothers collected wheel weights and had about 300 pounds waiting for me when I got home.

I bought the Lee pan lubing and sizing kit for 38's. Pan lube the boolits, use the Lee cookie cutter to get them out of the pan and used the "beat thru" die to size them. A Lyman 20 pound pot replaced the Lee 10 pound pot, Lyman four cavity moulds replaced the Lee's and we were off to the races!

Still have the RCBS Jr press and I'm looking at the Lee cookie cutter as I type. Found it in the basement the other day and brought it up stairs to clean the oxidation off it.

I think you spell hobby "as addiction"!

Grapeshot
10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I was 21 and in the Air Force in Alaska. I had just bought several muzzleloading rifles and revolvers and needed to feed them. Store bought balls were expensive and buying a molod for each caliber proved to be more cost effective as lead was free and plentifull as we dug up electrical cables at Elmendorf AFB's Transmitter site.

I cast a few buckets full of .58 Minnies, .451 RB's, .445 RB's and with what we scavanged.

home in oz
10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I was twenty. Cast balls for a 45 muzzleloader. Many squirrels and rabbits were harvested with them.

Hafast
10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
7 (1953) making fishing weights. Made molds from modeling clay and melted worn out babbit bearings. My grandfather was a mechanic for Texaco and kept me well supplied with material.

Melted on the kitchen stove in 1 lb. coffee cans.

thx997303
10-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I was 19.

I had recently inherited a S&W Model 10, and I bought my first centerfire rifle, a Mosin Nagant M91/30 dated 1939 on the receiver. Bought it for about $60

Anyway, I wanted to start reloading but the setup cost was too much at the time.

I then bought a Cap and Ball revolver, and decided the swaged round ball were a bit too expensive to buy.

So I bought a round ball mold and my father in law gave me a bag of shot.

I melted down some of the shot on a coleman propane stove and used an old measuring cup attached to vice grips as a ladle.

I still have quite a few of those round balls. They shot great, but they are a bit too hard for the loading lever on that revolver.

So, I decided I would start casting for my 9mm.

I remember sorting some stick on wheel weights out of a bucket I bought at a tire shop there in San Antonio, TX.

I put some of the stick ons in a 1 pound coffee can, and took it with me when I went to formation one day.

I held it in one hand and handed it to my buddy and said "Here, hold this for me for a minute."

I about died laughing when he near dropped it and said "What the heck's in this, lead?"

Anyway, I cast up a good supply of Lee's 356-125-2R but I didn't have any reloading equipment.

Somebody from this site heard about my situation, and sent me a big box of reloading supplies. He called it a christmas present from an old SGT.

Then another person from this site sent me a big box of brass. A couple thousand pieces of military 9mm and some 38 spcl.

All he asked was that I pay shipping. Then when I was going to pay him by paypal, he snuck Ken's paypal info in on me.

Ended up paying the shipping to Ken. Pretty alright crowd here.

mpmarty
10-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I was about thirty yrs old back in 1969 and started out swaging soft lead and "half jackets" into 38 caliber bullets on a C&H Swagomatic press using their dies. Soon thereafter I got a mold and began casting for the same caliber. I no longer have any 38 cal. guns but cast 45, 30 and 458 boolits now.

ghh3rd
10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Cast my first boolit on Jan 24 2009 (at 55 yrs old), according to the date on my post about it. I had never loaded anything before then either.

I cast my first boolit with a blister covered hand, under the influence of a strong pain killer. A few hours earlier, my backpacking stove spewed gasoline from the pump onto my hand and arm as I added air to the tank, and I caught fire.

After the pill kicked in, I was able to find another source of heat and cast some .38 wadcutters with the Lee "soupcan" mold. I was very determined to try that shiney new mold.

It's been a great experience and I wish I had started out in the 30 years earlier.

Randy

smokemjoe
10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
I was 13, about 1960, Got a 03A3 from DCM for $14.00 and a lyman reloading kit with a 311219 mold for $25.00. 64 now, It has never stopped.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-07-2010, 07:49 PM
WOW! This is a very interesting and informative thread.

steg
10-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Around 25 years old, casting for my 357. ans an old 47/70 trapdoor, wish I still had it, still have the security six though, its a keeper.......................steg

Von Gruff
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
About 15 years ago when I was 43. 3 44 cal moulds to start for 44spc in a pair of SA clones and 44 mag in 7 1/2 in SBH and Rosi 92. Now exclusively into the 7x57 and 404J for my casting but continue to be amazed at how much I learn from the knowledgable on this site.

Von Gruff.

Leadmelter
10-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I started about 1973 when I was in college and had a 58 cal Huntsman and bought Ohaus mold, iron pot and dipper. Made some good Minnie bullets for the gun.
Went crazy in the early 80's after I got married and could not afford jacketed bullets. Casted RCBS 150 38, 240K. When I got my big RCBS pot, started with rifle moldsw.
Recently, I reviewed my position with reloading. I got out all my stuff and inventoried it and reread all the manuals and decided to go for it. Bought a few molds off of Ebay-no problems.
I have constructed a casting schedule to make alot of boolits before the snow flies.
The first time I sat down in front of the pot, I had everthing ready, turned on the tunes and I was back in 1980's.
Many happy contemplative hours pouring the boolits. Zen!
Gerry MI

XWrench3
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
i was 51 when i poured my first hot one:cbpour:. i had been reloading for a while, but i am on a fixed income, and i could see the handwriting on the wall. if i wanted to shoot very much:Fire:, casting my own was going to be the cheapest way to do it. i am glad i decided to though, it is an interesting hobby, and goes right along with shooting and reloading. now, if there was a PRACTICAL way to make my own primers!:bigsmyl2:

woodyubet
11-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I started this summer and I'm 63......

sav300
11-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Hmmm,Am 63 years old now.May have started casting 35-40 years ago.
Charlie two tracks,you are right.Very interesting

mcskipper1
11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I started with casting for a 357 in 1985.
The cast rifle bullet bug got me two years after.
Now I have the force myself the shoot a jacketed slug.
Using cast bullets in 22 Hornet to 50BMG Plus 12Ga & 20 Ga.

Char-Gar
11-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I was 17. I am now 68.

noylj
11-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Let's see...I was about 12 when I was casting toy soldiers. Any body else have one of those toy casting sets?
I was about 22 when I started casting bullets.

lawdog941
11-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Well, I just got out of the Army in '88, started reloading for the cheap. But, I just started this year after surfn' on Cast Boolits for awhile, and I think I found a new hobby to get my mind off of the serious stuff in life. BTW, I'm 46 now...

Rock on.

HardColt
11-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Pat,
I enjoy reading your casting /reloading story.Very inspirational!!!!!Keep on casting and reloading.

HardColt
11-06-2010, 08:01 AM
41, that was 15 yrs ago!!!!! Couldn't afford to feed my babies: Ruger P-85 & Colt 45 govt. Couldn't use them as legal dependents to qualify for food stamps either, plus, AF paycheck couldn't support the lead habit since I had three kids to provide for. Invested in Lyman, read it several times cover to cover and proceeded with caution like launching out an F-4 for the very first time. No regrets here. Gave up darkroom and photography for a more cheap &enjoyable hobby. Been going downrange ever since and couldn't recover.

HardColt
11-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Sorry, about the wrong input. Don't have any intentions of hijacking the thread. Just not that computer savvy. My apologizes again.

Tazman1602
11-06-2010, 09:54 AM
1980 at the age of 22. I had a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag and was complaining about the cost of ammo and being able to shoot it.

An old guy I worked with bought me a Lee 240 grain TL SWC mold and taught me how to scarf wheelweights and make my own bullets. I thought I'd died and went to heaven at the time.

Over the years I got a couple of other molds but NEVER had any success with my rifles.............until a little over a year ago when I found this forum.

Now I've got two dozen molds, piles of bullets, and shoot almost nothing BUT cast except for deer hunting (my cast rifles don't have good enough scopes on them and I can't afford a new Leupold right now....) -- I cast mainly for big bore stuff and hunt with .243 Winchester. Would love to crack one with the big bore I carry with me to the blind if the dang things would come in before it was too dark to see the sights with my old eyes....

This forum alone has turned me from a mediocre caster into a casting NUT.......................

Art

That'll Do
11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I started casting at the ripe old age of 27, and I'm now..........28!:razz:

I started casting once the ammo shortage started to get out of hand. I now have a small collection on molds (about 10), and I cast for almost all the calibers I shoot. I still use jacketed bullets, but lead boolits are shot 90% of the time from my guns.

Ajax
11-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I was 35 Iam now 36. Icasted a little with a Navy friend for muzzleloader, but nothing serious. I always wanted to cast for my rifles and pistols, but never had the time or the money. Then about a year ago I found this site and as they say "the rest is history". My wife, god bless her, has been 100% supportive but leary of casting herself. I think i just need to find her the right pistol to addict her with. since i have started i now cast for my rifle, pistol, muzzleloader and shotguns we own. But, beings i am still raising a child it is not progressing as fast as i would like, but it gives me something to look forward to.

Andy

Fly-guy
11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I started out by loading for an 8mm and 45 long colt in 1964 and still going at it strong after all these years. I've added quite a number of different calibers through the years and picked up on quite a few tips and tricks.

bigjake
11-09-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm 50 yrs old, I've been casting 44mag and 9mm bullets out of 200 pounds of babbit for about 6 months.

before this, I built a small foundry out of a 16 gallion beer keg and melted aluminum and brass. I tried sand casting and lost foam casting. It was fun but its much too hot. you talk about hot molten metal, the radiant heat from the crucible while pouring is insane.

WILCO
11-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Girl I was dating had a Dad that competed in Bullseye pistol in Sacramento in the late 60's. This guy taught me casting and reloading on an old A-4 RCBS press.

That's one way for a dad to distract his daughter's suitors. :kidding:

I started reloading when I was 25 and casting at 38.

old turtle
11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I started molding with a friend in 1965 at age 27. Our level of proficiency can be reflected upon by our favorite saying "I have shot worse." Welcome to all casters, young and old.

rattletrap1970
11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Last month. I'm 40.
Casting is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Finally just bought a Lee Production pot, went around and got some wheel weights, then went to a gun shop and bought a box of used molds (17 of 'em), read up a bunch on here, and hit the ground runnin.

BAGTIC
11-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Started casting fishing sinkers around 1958. Began casting bullets around 1960. I will be 68 on November 10 (tomorrow).

JMtoolman
11-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I've only been casting for about 56 years, still don't know very much. Toolman

notenoughguns
11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
First cast bullet was in 1964 at age 14 , been fighting the addiction ever since .

johnvid
11-10-2010, 01:50 PM
I was also 59 when I fist started casting. That was only one year ago. At the time I was looking for a ready supply of loading components for my various calibers. In short order I have accumulated twelve moulds in seven different calibers.

I now shop for new firearms with casting in mind. My last rifle I bought was a 1985 Marlin since I already had a mould for my 458 Socom.

I also enjoy the peace of mind knowing that I'll always have a ready supply of boolits.
John

SPRINGFIELDM141972
11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't remember my first boolit. I grew up watching my dad cast for his .38 and .45. I do remember the first time I got burned from lead. I was 6 years old and ran down to the basement to "help". I ran into him while he had a ladle full of lead and some spilled onto my hand. Thirty two years later you can still make out the scar on my hand. Its a constant reminder to me slow down and pay attention.

Regards,
Everett

Grapeshot
11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
That's a no brainer. I was 20 years old and stationed in Alaska. I had just gotten a battery of Muzzle loaders and my shooting buddies convinced me that I needed to be casting my own Minnie Balls as well as the Round Balls for my cap & ball revolvers. After buying some RB's from Dixie I took the plunge and purchased the molds and bullet making manuals to learn as much as I could about casting my own ammo. This led to bigger and better things after I turned 21 and began loading for cartridge guns.

firefly1957
11-10-2010, 08:02 PM
I started casting fishing weights at 13 (sand castings) then neighbor gave me his mold he never used. At 18 I bought a Lyman electric for casting and started casting pistol and muzzle loading bullets. I like using a good bullet ladle better and use Coleman stove and cast iron pot for most bullets now have not plugged Lyman in for 20 years.

steg
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
1973, at 26 years old, started casting for my Security Six 38/357 still have the revolver, and that old Lyman mold, Ideal I think, I bought it used, and it still casts good boolits, only a single cavity though..................................steg

Adk Mike
11-10-2010, 08:29 PM
1982 at age 26. I'm now 54 in the early years I cast for handguns to save money. Lately I cast mostly for my rifles. I really enjoy shooting steel plates and swingers. I couldn"t afford this kind of high volume shooting if I didn't cast. It's a great hobby !

kbstenberg
11-10-2010, 08:29 PM
My downfall came 2009 at 58. I had looked into casting numerous times through my H.L. mag. Just never know anyone who did it. An it sounded like a lot of work. I'm glad i took the plunge after i found this Web Site.
Other than my learning about how to cast. My greatest enjoyment has come from all the new friends i have made here. To all of you i say thank you.
Kevin

RP
11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
I started casting fishing weights when I was 12 with my brothers which are older than me. As far as casting boolits I want to say I was in my 30s but cant say for sure which part of my 30s. Then I found this site and learn how much stuff I was doing wrong.

44 flattop
11-10-2010, 09:29 PM
I was 12 also. Back in 1971..............sigh................