PDA

View Full Version : A question about a mold maker

roysha
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Why is it that I virtually never see any reference to NEI molds? Am I missing something here? I have had excellent service from them over the years. The products, prices and selection from there are as good as, or better than, anything else out there including the "custom" mold makers.

hammerhead357
10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
From what I have seen here the quality has gone down hill since Walt Melander passed away. Seems his daughter and son in law have taken over operations and I don't think son in law is really into the mould making thing.
Reports of rudeness to customers with problems and a total lack of quality control. Seem to be the most common complaints. Also no refunds on bad products.
I used to like Walts products and wish the quality was still there. Walt had problems at times but always made it right in the end as far as my experince goes....Wes

white eagle
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I have had similar experiences with the new NEI
won't be getting anything from me

wallenba
10-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I bought one mold since Walt died. It was over priced, it was c%&p, the order was shorted, and customer service was slow and reluctant to correct it. RUN don't walk, away. Here is a top punch that came with the mold. click picture three times. Not even centered. How do you do that?

AkMike
10-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I recently got a mold from Tom at Accurate Molds. Although I haven't recieved the handles sourced elsewhere. I'm sure that it'll be a great mold. He didn't have any problem with making a dual weight dual cavity mold with a weeks turn a round. To top it off he designed what I wanted for weights.
Try that elsewhere!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

white eagle
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Tom's da man :drinks:

HORNET
10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
There are enough mold makers available now that have excellent reviews that there is no need to deal with those that have picked up poor reputations. If you check most of the group buys, you'll see that even Lee has been replaced as a preferred vendor due to complaints. If you look in the MOLDS forum, there is fairly good list of moldmakers to pick from. Now if I just had more money.....

Potsy
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Kinda hate to hear that about NEI. They made a .45 325grn. Keith that I always figured I'd want someday for my Bisley.
Having said that, I've bought 2 molds from Miha Prevec on here and if the other moldmakers on this site are of that caliber, I should have 0 problems getting anything I'll ever need.

RobS
10-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Kinda hate to hear that about NEI. They made a .45 325grn. Keith that I always figured I'd want someday for my Bisley.
Having said that, I've bought 2 molds from Miha Prevec on here and if the other moldmakers on this site are of that caliber, I should have 0 problems getting anything I'll ever need.

BABore will get you close on that Keith design. His will run at 310 grains and can be made anytime. Service is top notch and molds are well designed.

http://www.brp.castpics.net/P2.html

RobS
10-07-2010, 11:33 AM
NEI thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92156&highlight=NEI

Bret4207
10-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Walt Melander was a gifted machinist. He cut great moulds, they were works of art. I cherish my Melander cut moulds.

roysha
10-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Well folks, I think I'm detecting a train of thought here and although I'm a little slow I believe I'm catching on.
Thank you for the comments.
All my contact with NEI was some years ago so that must have been when the original owner was still running the company.