PDA

View Full Version : tumbler media

wcshooter
09-20-2006, 12:54 PM
:idea: I use plain old rice for cleaning my cases now. Works well and realy shines up the brass. I get it for around $8.00 for 25 pounds at a bulk food store.

beagle
09-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Great idea. Since rice is pretty large as compared to other media are you having any problems with it bridging inside the cases and do you have any idea how long it will last?

I've been using the "lizzard litter" (crushed pecan shells) from pet stores but last time I bought dog food, they didn't carry it any more and I'm looking for a readily available substitute./beagle

MacGregor
09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
long grain rice might be an issue but, but short grain rice would work really well

milsurpcollector1970
09-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Do a search on a company called Green products in Iowa, they will sell you a 50lb bag of tumbling media for $30 shipped (corn cob)

MacGregor
09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
rice is still half that cost milsurp...

BruceB
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
...and I get 1/8"-grind corncob from my local feed store for $13/40 pounds. Add some Turtle Wax or similar polish, and the cases shine like mirrors!

I've been using this method for several years now, and it works well. I suspect that rice will do likewise. Thousands of dollars tied up in guns and gear, and we still search for inexpensive stuff....it's logical, 'cuz that frees up MORE money for "guns and gear"!

KCSO
09-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey I like the rice idea, when it won't polish any more, eat it! I put my scraps of polish in the media and I haven't bought any for 3 years.

targetshootr
09-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I have started re-using the corn cob I buy at the pet store, about $7 for 20 lbs, iirc. When it gets dirty I spread it on a window screen and lay it in the bed of the pickup that doesn't get driven very often and wait for the rain to rinse it off. My other thought is to find a small mesh bag of some kind and toss in the washer, then lay it on the screen to dry. Maybe panty hose would work. Or would I get catcalls at the grocery store?

StarMetal
09-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Rice is what the Chinese reloaders tumble their brass in. [smilie=1:

Joe

wills
09-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe panty hose would work. Or would I get catcalls at the grocery store?

Probably not, unless you wear them to the store.

six_gun
09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I have started re-using the corn cob I buy at the pet store, about $7 for 20 lbs, iirc. When it gets dirty I spread it on a window screen and lay it in the bed of the pickup that doesn't get driven very often and wait for the rain to rinse it off. My other thought is to find a small mesh bag of some kind and toss in the washer, then lay it on the screen to dry. Maybe panty hose would work. Or would I get catcalls at the grocery store?

Panty hose... There are lots of good uses for them but I still prefer using them to package the items they were originally made for.

Sixgun

wcshooter
09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Great idea. Since rice is pretty large as compared to other media are you having any problems with it bridging inside the cases and do you have any idea how long it will last?

I've been using the "lizzard litter" (crushed pecan shells) from pet stores but last time I bought dog food, they didn't carry it any more and I'm looking for a readily available substitute./beagle

The only problem I have had is with large capacity bottleneck cases. I just takes a little longer to get the rice emptied. If you deprime before you tumble it will bridge the primer pocket and lodge in the flash hole, but if your case sizing die also decaps it will push out what is there. If you have one of those vibrator/shaker things that may eliminate those problems. Only a guess as I do not have one.

milsurpcollector1970
09-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah I know rice is cheaper but i like the corncob better. I will try a feed store for cheaper corncob though.

Anything is cheaper than Midway $20 for 10 lbs

drinks
09-20-2006, 08:20 PM
I have a vibrator and use rice, really easy to get out and no dust problem.
A hour is plenty for even really smoked cases.

dragonrider
09-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I may have mentioned this before, but I wash my media, I use corn cob. When it gets dirty I ask the wife for a new pair of pantie hose, cut off a leg pour in the media and tie it closed. I then put it in the sink filled with water and dish soap work the bag with my hands for about 10 or 15 minutes and then rinse at least six times. Then I hang it from the rafter in the cellar over a pan for a few days to dry. Then it goes onto cookie sheets to get completely dry. You could go from the sink after letting it drip for a bit directly onto cookie sheets and into the oven on low heat to dry quickly. I don't think I would put it in the washer, if it broke open the mess would be awful to clean out.

targetshootr
09-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't think I would put it in the washer, if it broke open the mess would be awful to clean out.

Good idea. Guess I need to scare up another woman so I don't have to endure the grocery store.

:coffee:

drinks
09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
DR;
If you go to Walmart, they have plain old knee high hose in a clear plastic ball, 3 pair for $1.
I got on to them when needing a pre filter for the suction on my airless spray rig.
Also makes a great hood when texturing or spray painting a ceiling.

Lloyd Smale
09-21-2006, 04:32 AM
I use corn cob from the pet store. Its a little to corsely ground for some rounds. It packs up in .223s ect but it works for handguns and is cheap enough that it isnt worth the time or hastle to clean and reuse it. For the little bottle neck rounds i buy lizzard bedding (walnut) its real finely ground and works great. Its a little more expensive then the bulk corn but i dont use that much of it anyway. I clean up and load 2-3000 .223s at a time and that usually last me the year. Rather then clean it i just dump it in the garden. Figure theres got to be some nitrogen residue left in it that will help furtilize the garden and if nothing else it will compost.