PDA

View Full Version : Question on gunbroker

bcr
10-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Hi guys,

I'm brand new here and wasn't sure where to post this, so if this isn't the right place an admin can feel free to move or delete it.

I'm just wonder what you guys think about gunbroker, and the ability to get good used guns on it. I have bought two new guns this summer with good success, but is it safe to buy used guns without seeing them? For instance, a revolver could be listed in exc shape but maybe the timing, B/C gap or endshake aren't great, and a lot of people wouldn't ever notice. Is this an issue or not worth worrying about?

Thx!

captaint
10-06-2010, 01:46 AM
The only gun I purchased on BG turned out fine. Just pay attention to return policy. I think most sales have a return/inspection period. enjoy Mike

buck1
10-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Check the return policy and the sellers feedback, ask questions, and get a phone number. If all that looks good, the gun most likely is to. But nothing is 100% .
Go with well established sellers with great feed back and all -should- be well.

madsenshooter
10-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I've had fairly decent luck. One guy sent me a Krag that had a cracked wrist, though after the auction I'd sent him an email telling him the last thing I needed was another broken Krag. He took it back, which is good, because the wrist wasn't all that was cracked, there were hairline cracks behind the locking lug recess. It is a buyer beware type of thing, some of the descriptions are something else.

PatMarlin
10-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Like mentioned check out feedback and talk with the seller on the phone. Get more photos in detail sent and more specific questions answered. If they aren't willing to do that... RUN.

I've bought some fine rifles on Gunbroker.

Merc41
10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi bcr.

I have purchased two revolvers from Gunbroker with no problems at all.

mtnman31
10-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Gunbroker has been good to me so far. I have gotten a couple good buys from the auctions but have also bought some real good deals using their "wanted ads" from their forum. I have mostly bought guns and reloading components from Gunbroker/Auction Arms as it seems that the deals on reloading/casting equipment are easier to find on Fleabay.

Heed the others' advice and read the auctions thoroughly. If the auction only has a few or incomplete photos, don't hesitate to contact the seller and ask for better images. If they don't provide me with better images I don't bid or bid accordingly. Double check their shipping costs and return policy. Some of these sellers are too lazy to figure a fair shipping cost and/or try to shaft the buyer with higher shipping to cover their auction fees. As an example, a seller wanted 10 bucks to ship a stripper clip that could fit into a standard or padded envelope and mailed for less than a buck. They wouldn't bend on shipping so the item didn't get sold. Last I checked, the item was still for sale after months of being posted even thought the cost of the item is a very fair price.

Lastly, it is an auction site, so sometimes you'll see crazy prices. Before you bid, know the value of what you are looking for, set a limit on what you are willing to spend and don't get auction fever and keep on bidding. Bottom line is that, like eBay, not much on the auction is so rare that you'll never see it again. If you don't win, just be patient and it'll show up again.

10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I've bought one gun each through Gunbroker and Auction Arms, and in both cases the guns were as described. As with any purchase, expecially an on-line auction, knowledge reigns supreme.

S.R.Custom
10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I've got 125 transactions on GB, and I'd guess half of those are purchases. It's like anything else-- buyer beware. But of all the purchases I've made, the bum steers can probably be counted on one hand. And all of those were returned & refunded without incident.

I owe my good luck there to being cautious and checking feedback. One man's "great condition!" is another man's ***. You'll know the losers when you read their feedback. And never bid on anything with fuzzy pictures. I did that. Once.

shotman
10-06-2010, 10:58 PM
GB will step in if you need them. I sell there and buy there have no problems so far. as a seller I make sure the buyer knows what he has never had any problems. As any {no in hand deal} it is best to less % it than try to sell a diamone in a goats you know

missionary5155
10-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Good Morning
+1 on the above....
When I decide on what I am going to buy I check prices for about a month and get a feel what a deal really is. Communication is basic in all of life but especially when buying and selling.
If you are the only bidder and one other steps in and starts running the price ... let them have it. BUT if an item is wanted and there is only one bidder many times they have just bid the minimum and your 1st can be the winner.
READ the whole add. I just saw a nice little Colt not get bought... the bidder placed the minimal bid of $249.00. In the text the seller stated " the reserve is $250..." so for lack of reading and $1 the gun went unbought...

Gunaria
10-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Looks like everything above has been said and one last thing don't use GPal for the money transfer.

Maven
10-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I beg to differ. Selling guns on GB wasn't a problem, but the recent purchase I made was: The seller. misrepresented what he was selling.* I filed a complaint through GB's resolution process and got NO help whatsoever, as I suspected. I then went to the seller's state consumer fraud agency and got satisfaction from them.

*I don't think he did so deliberately, but the manufacturer of the gun should have been obvious if he would have taken the trouble to decipher the markings on the barrel and lockplate. North Star West, Waksupi, Pedersoli & C, and Ethan at Track of the Wolf solved the problem of who made the gun for me. I then sent that info. to the consumer fraud dept. of the seller's state.

NVcurmudgeon
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I have sold a used shotgun and a used pistol on GB and bought one new/old stock rifle on GB. All three people I dealt with were perfect to trade with. As others have said, feedback is the best measure of buyers and selllers.

One trick that I used was to track exact models of the guns I wanted to sell for several weeks. I found that many guns were overpriced and had unrealistic reserve prices. These firearms would attract no or unacceptable bids and would be repeatedly relisted with the same results. Other firearms with real world prices would be listed once and sold. As I wanted to really sell my offerings I posted them with no reserve. AND AN OPENING PRICE THAT I WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED. Both of them sold the first week they were offered, and for prices that were quite reasonable to both parties, and higher than my opening price. It is an old truism that nothing is worth any more than the amount somebody is willing to pay.

PatMarlin
10-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Pictures tell me a lot. More so on the seller and how he takes them.

For the guys who lay their guns on concrete? I'll pass every time. No way I'm gonna buy from a seller who does that and it just boggles my mind.. :roll:

Oh- and then there's the mostly fuzzy real dark picture guy. Then there's the "one pic" guy of the far off overall shot.

Every single firearm I've bought online had very good detailed pictures that showed the care and condition of the gun, and the mindset and type of seller offering it.

spqrzilla
10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
You have to read the ads very carefully as sometimes the text of the ad will give you a big clue as which sellers are normal and which are bug-nuts.

Don't buy from bug-nuts.

scb
10-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I cancelled my account there after I got "into it" with the management over a guy that was obviously shill bidding and they wouldn't do anything about it.

nicholst55
10-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I can only add my '+1' to all of the above. In my experience (and the experience of others), GB's owner(s)/management will do absolutely nothing to help a buyer resolve a dispute. There are some downright crooks doing business there, but their feedback usually reflects that. I only deal with people with good feedback. I ask many questions. I don't buy guns (or anything else) with no pictures, fuzzy pictures, dark pictures, or only one picture taken from 100 yards away. If the seller won't answer my questions clearly, I walk. If I have any doubts, I walk. If the seller refuses to take returns, I walk. I refuse to get into bidding wars with anyone, over anything.

You get the idea. Use your head, and you should be okay. I firmly believe that most people are honest. Sure, there are some dirtbags out there, but they are greatly outnumbered by the honest folks.

I personally tend to underrate my merchandise - if it's a gun in NRA Excellent condition, I'll probably rate it as NRA Very Good. If I'm giving a percentage rating (95% blue, etc.), I will rate it at 85-90%. A lot of folks do the same.

troy_mclure
10-10-2010, 05:00 AM
ive bought 2 guns from gb, 1 new and 1 used. both were good transactions.

i have also bought a barrel from auction arms. again good transaction.

cuzinbruce
10-10-2010, 05:32 AM
I have bought a number of guns, sold a couple guns and a bunch of other stuff. The transactions have been fine. Buying guns, there don't seem to be a lot of bargains there. GB only charges a fee when the item is sold. There is no listing fee upfront. You can also have the item relisted automatically. So you have a lot of sellers putting things on at high prices and leaving them there indefinitely. I have seen things listed for six months or a year. The seller is not running up a bunch of fees so it is painless to sit it out. That said, it is about the best way to find obscure items. I wanted a Margolin pistol, and found one on GB. So take your time and look carefully.

mgkdrgn
10-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I sell on Gunbroker all the time. Take a look at my feedback there and see if you think I'm selling quality goods or not.

Are there rip-offs there. Yes ... just like anywhere else. But you can't be ripping people off there and build up a good feedback rating ... THAT is your tool as a buyer to evaluate the seller you are dealing with.

Brett Parks
Columbia Arms

PatMarlin
10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
That feedback idea. Wonder if Meg Whitman came up with that.

Maybe politicians pay should be based on feedback. I think that is a great idea. Feel free to use it.

PatMarlin
10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I sell on Gunbroker all the time. Take a look at my feedback there and see if you think I'm selling quality goods or not.

Are there rip-offs there. Yes ... just like anywhere else. But you can't be ripping people off there and build up a good feedback rating ... THAT is your tool as a buyer to evaluate the seller you are dealing with.

Brett Parks
Columbia Arms

-we can't take a look without a link Brett.

Kraschenbirn
10-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Picked up a Perdersoli RB purchased through GunBroker from my local FFL yesterday. Gun was actually BETTER than described. No joke...gun was trade-in to a dealer and listed as "used but excellent" but I seriously doubt if it had 50 rounds put through it. Not a single scratch, no wear in bluing of extractor, no burnishing around firing pin...just no box or factory papers.

Took it to the range this morning along with a box of the only 45-70s I had on hand... Trapdoor "carbine" loads (400 gr RNFP over 55 gr FFg). Fired 10 rounds @ 50 yds to get roughly centered on paper then put 7 of the next 10 into approx. 1 1/2" @ 100. (the 3 three flyers were undoubtedly my fault...trigger is a bit stiff and took some getting used to)

This is the fourth or fifth gun I've obtained through GB in the last 5 years and have yet to get a "lemon."

Main issue is to communicate with the seller and make sure you know what you're buying.

Bill

mgkdrgn
10-11-2010, 04:43 AM
-we can't take a look without a link Brett.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewUserFeedback.aspx?User=1046110

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=1046110