PDA

View Full Version : Loss Of Another Source Of Lead

mike in co
09-20-2006, 10:57 AM
went to the dentist last week for a little check up.. while there he donated 4 boxes of xray dental foil to the cause......and then said NO MORE!
they have gone to digital. dont know the whole process, its still looks like an xray straight to a computer screen...but no more lead.

while it wont happen over night to all dentist...its just one more source gone.

i mix about 5 lbs of dental lead with 100 lbs of ww....it may only be a warm fuzzy feeling for me, but it seems to cast better....fill out is better

454PB
09-21-2006, 12:38 AM
My daughter works as an assistant for an endodontist, so I asked her if they had any lead from the x-ray equipment. She looked at my like I was nuts......all their equipment is digital and the x-rays appear on a CRT right in front of the patient, I knew that, I've had root canals done there.

Still, it seems like there has to be some lead shielding other than the wall board.

Bigjohn
09-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Well, it appears that this is not the only way they are getting at us. I do the round of the plumbers for the lead flashing sheets and offcuts.

I was in the hardware store the other day when I saw rolls of flashing so I checked out the label. It had wriiten in smaller print the word "Copperised". Now what in the heck is "Copperised"?

There is very little other information on the label which might throw some light on what they mean by "Copperised" and that is basically the material is alloyed to prevent the material from 'creeping' when fixed in place.

Even the shop assistants could not answer that question.

Anyone out there with a solution the question and does it make the material worthless for boolit casting.

Some of my last ingots from material collected have a copper coloured residue like a froth on the top of the metal.

John.