PDA

View Full Version : Heilman sight

Don McDowell
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
The post office got thru with the silly bugger games and got the Heilman sight to me today, instead of Saturday when it originally arrived.
It's a basic sight, came recommended to me by two shooters who's opinion and ability I have a good bit of respect for. Not fancy by anymeans but seems to be solid as a rock. For 285$ it seems to be fine.
Now for the test to see how well it holds up against a season of bpcr competition.
http://forums.handloads.com/uploads/Ranch13/2010-10-05_131742_Heilman_sight_003.jpg
http://forums.handloads.com/uploads/Ranch13/2010-10-05_131651_Heilman_sight_002.jpg

Gussy
10-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Don,
I have the buffalo long range version on my Shiloh 2.6 and it has been fine. It's going on 5 yrs now. I haven't shot it much for the past couple of years as it's mainly my hunting rifle.

I used it quite a bit the first 2 yrs, also got a Hadley from BA on it.
Gus

Don McDowell
10-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Gus, I had him make this with the threads so I can use the Hadley off of my CSA windgauage vernier. But with the large hole in this cup, I may just skip the hadley, I don't but very seldom change to the smaller aperatures anyway.
I especially like how Ron puts the lead screw for the elevation inside the sight staff. It won't get bent there, or if it does it'll be a wreck that makes the 6 oclock news...

dave roelle
10-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi don:

Looking forward to a range report----------i may need to get a longer range vernier after i get some shooting done with the shiloh---------hope thats in a week or so------------the price is attractive.

What rifle is going to wear this ?

dave

Don McDowell
10-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Dave it's on my C sharps 75. I have no doubt it'll do fine underfire.

One thing you can do is go to a lower front sight to get more elevation if you need to... Something to think about as front sights are a bunch cheaper than the backones..

dave roelle
10-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks Don------------------the current front sight will need replacement as it has no level --------------i'll keep in mind the lower height models when i upgrade.

gluck with the 75

Don McDowell
10-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Dave I don't care for the level. seems like about half the time you can't see the darn thing due to the light, or you spend to much time wrestlin with it trying to get it between the lines.
I prefer just an aperature with good horizontal stadia wires. A person can tell whether or not your rifle is canted with those and not clutter up the front sight like a level does.

dave roelle
10-06-2010, 05:05 PM
HI don:

That will be the first try of course--------------i wondered about the spirit levels--------also saw a spirit level that fits the rear dovetail but is seems it would be distracting and ruin sight pictures looking that far from the globe.

Still waiting for boolits from baco hope to have em next week

later

dave

Don McDowell
10-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Hey Dave, sure looking forward to reading about how you get along with that rifle.
The main thing is to try any and everything you can get your hands on. Like the spirit level deal, I don't find them all that useful and more of a distraction. Other folks will jump down my throat about that because they think they're absolutely necessary.
So about all a fella can do is try different things and when you find something working for you and you're comfortable with it, then have right at it...

Gussy
10-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Don,
I did get his front sight. It has the internal level and a slot in the tube over it to let in enough light to see it, but no glare. I got blinded by the bubble on my Browning 2 yrs back at the "Q" shoot when the sun happened to be perfectly over head. I now carry tape along!!!
Gus

Don McDowell
10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Gus I had the C Sharps external level sight, but it was to tall and took to much elevation to make the 1k line for my liking. Also that level bubble would disappear in direct light so was next best thing to worthless anyways.
So we went with the Shaver internal level. I like the height of that sight but the level never really suited me. Took the level out, at Ekalaka last month and the trouble seeing thru the globe was gone and hit count went up. John Miller now has that level in a sight on his winchester that was broken. He's happy and so am I....

By the by you have any of your mould handles on hand?

Gussy
10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Gus I had the C Sharps external level sight, but it was to tall and took to much elevation to make the 1k line for my liking. Also that level bubble would disappear in direct light so was next best thing to worthless anyways.
So we went with the Shaver internal level. I like the height of that sight but the level never really suited me. Took the level out, at Ekalaka last month and the trouble seeing thru the globe was gone and hit count went up. John Miller now has that level in a sight on his winchester that was broken. He's happy and so am I....

By the by you have any of your mould handles on hand?

10+ handles in stock and I'm going on the next run. Next run won't be ready for 2-3 weeks due to my Son's wedding next week!! I'll be gone a few days.
Gus

Don McDowell
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Okydoky thanks. Will head a check your direction sometime in the next couple of days. Thems about the best thing since sliced bread, and just one isn't gonna geter done. So we'll see if this next one (makes 2) will be enough or if 3 is called for....

John F.
10-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Howdy! Interesting info -- How does one buy the Heilmann sight? I've not seen one listed for sale.

Thanks,
John

Don McDowell
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Google up Ron Heilman

Gussy
10-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Don, Sent you a PM.
Gus

6pt-sika
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Mr.Heilman made me a rear sight for my Aydt style 8.15x46R schuetzen rifle a couple months ago !

It was certainly first class ! I had him send it to me in the white . Sent the base and eyecup off to be color case hardnened and blued the part in the middle !

Looks very nice on the back of my rifle !

All in all an excellent job for about $275 !

SharpsShooter
10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I like that design. Thanks for the info Don.

SS