PDA

View Full Version : hi speed cast rounds

XWrench3
10-04-2010, 11:04 PM
well, i cast up a couple of batches of linotype/w.w. alloy to make up some high speed rounds. this will be a first for me, shooting lino that is. my big question is this. i already have good 30-30 and 45/70 jacketed bullet loads for the same speed i am thinking about shooting the lino-loads. i know usually, that cast boolits create less drag, wich i think = less pressure. can i use the same loads as i already have workerd up using cast loads, instead of jacketed bullets? (31.0g win 748 -150g gas checked lead flat nose for the 30-30) [ 42.0g imr 4198-363g ranch dog gas check]

rintinglen
10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
I run 34 grains of 748 with the 311-041 Lyman and it weighs nearly 180 grains with gas check so your 30-30 load should be fine--in fact, it should be a very safe load. I tend to run lighter loads with my 45-70, but I have run a few boxes of 457-406 gc out in front of a healthy charge of 3031 with no problems. I wouldn't run those through a trapdoor or an antique Winchester, but my Marlin eats them for lunch. I, on the other hand, find the recoil objectionable, even if the gun and brass don't complain.

Bret4207
10-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Cast should give you less pressure as the lead alloys deform (engrave) much easier than bullets. The pressure curve will be different though and it's hard to say if they will be as accurate as jacketed. Try it and see. I would make sure my barrel is free of heavy jacket fouling though. Some guns don't seem to care if it's lead or jacketed, other detest the presence of jacket fouling with lead.

XWrench3
10-05-2010, 07:37 PM
jacket material is of no real concern, every time i shoot more than a few jacketed bullets, i use a copper solvent to make certain it is out. that is something that i decided to do after discovering (the hard way) that the hoopes copper solvent i had been using for many, many years, was no longer disolving ANY copper. it took me a week to get all the copper out of my guns, and i will NEVER worry about that again! lead, is a lot easier to tell if it is there, and i know how to get that out also. i hate very few things in life, but a dirty bore IS one of them. as for the recoil, most of the time, recoil doesn't bother me much. i would probably be a good candidate for a 458 lott, or 50bmg. once in a while though, on a really bad day, it does, and then i just dig out the 30-30 or 22's.i know it will be hit or miss on accuracy. it just seems like a logical place to start. with a little luck, they will throw decent groups with those loads. thanks for the responses guys. i figured these would be ok, but never shooting them before, i figured i had better ask. you know what they say about an ounce of prevention, and a pound of cure!

Bret4207
10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track. I hate copper fouling!

Von Gruff
10-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Bore Tech copper remover for ..........copper

Ed's Red for the rest.

Von Gruff.