PDA

View Full Version : The myth of the universal 'good load' for PB bullets

KirkD
10-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't have a lot of rifles, and many of you will have much more experience than I in this area, but over the past several years, I've owned a few different rifles, mostly vintage Winchesters, and developed good loads for them. Off the top of my head, I've developed good loads for the following, using cast bullets:

One 45-90
Five 45-70's
Two 45-60's
Four 38-55's
Three 44-40's
Two 30-30's
Three 32-20's
One 25-20
Two 38-40's

What I have found is the following:

1. For jacketed bullets, good loads developed by others are often good loads for me, though I've only tried jacketed bullets in a few of my guns.
2. For gas check bullets, good loads developed by others are quite often fine for me as well.
3. For plain base cast bullets, good loads developed by others are usually not so great for my rifles.

Bottom Line: For plain base, cast bullets, I find that each individual gun has its preferences. There are too many variables including ...

1. alloy hardness
2. groove diameter vs. bullet diameter
3. throat diameter and depth
4. possible pitting for some rifles

... to expect that a good, accurate load developed by someone else will be a good, accurate load in my own rifle.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here, but I don't pay any attention anymore to other's good loads, except if they are for a powder/cartridge/bullet I have not tried yet, in which case the info is useful for figuring out what my starting load will be.

Added:

Practical Application: Again, this is probably well known to 95% of the members of this board, but for the other 5%, I really can't see any alternative, when one wants a good Cast PB load for his rifle, but to try a variety of powders and weights and maybe even bullets, to find one or two that give real good accuracy. This is time consuming, but very enjoyable. So for those who might naively ask for a good load and then think you've got it, it just might not work for you. I've seen some fellows trade or sell a rifle with a perfect bore, because they tried one or two 'good loads' and they were not very accurate. I'm of the belief that if it has anything half way decent of a bore, even if there is quite a bit of light pitting and the rifling is half worn down, a fellow can still find a nice accurate load if he is willing to do considerable experimenting. The worst bore I ever had was a '73 44-40 with a moonscape pitted bore and rifling so worn that it was hard to see in places. With quite a bit of experimenting, I was able to get 3 & 1/2" five-shot groups at 100 yards with it. That taught me a lesson ..... if a corroded, seriously badly pitted, sewer pipe of a bore like that can give half decent accuracy, then anything remotely close to a nice bore (assuming the throat doesn't have some sort of weird dimensions) can be coaxed to give good accuracy if one is willing to put some serious work into load development for that particular rifle, rather than relying upon a load that might be a tack driver for someone else, but mediocre for your particular rifle.

MakeMineA10mm
10-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Maybe.

I'd have to confess I've not done much loading for the large-capacity black-powder rounds, but the 44 Russian, 44-40, and a few others, I've loaded for, and I see those more as pistol rounds, even though some started life as rifle rounds (like the 44-40 and 38-40), I have found some "universal loads".

In addition, this has been reinforced by the fact that when I've participated on some of those threads, others have announced the same loads I use, or some have pointed out loads I've used before and KNOW to be good loads in my guns. Now, keep in mind I'm more of a pistol shooter, so this is how I'm applying the principle. You may be right on the high-expansion-ratio rifle rounds you list a lot of.

One other thing to keep in mind -- this may ONLY apply to those types of loads, if it is in fact true. Look at THE universal cast boolit load in bottle-neck 30-cals: 16.0grs of 2400. That seems to shoot in many calibers, for many people, in even more rifles...

Interesting thoughts you give, and I agree 100% that the variables are numerous.

KirkD
10-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Look at THE universal cast boolit load in bottle-neck 30-cals: 16.0grs of 2400. That seems to shoot in many calibers, for many people, in even more rifles...
I am wondering if the bottle neck 30 Cals tend to usually take GC boolits. If that is the case, then universal loads may well work, as I mentioned earlier. GC's really simplify load development. I just like to avoid GC's to keep my shooting as cheap as possible.

For pistol shooting, I've only developed loads for the 44 Russian (two different original S&W top breaks) and 45 Schofield (two different original guns), and I found just about any powder and load I tried, worked with soft cast bullets. I'm not sure why that is, at least in my limited experience.

9.3X62AL
10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Kirk D's generalizations are kinda consistent with my own observations and results with 25-20, 32-20, 44-40. The 45-70 is A LOT more tractable in its smokeless loadings than the other three calibers, as long as the boolits fit well.

My own views as to why the pistol-length Winchester hyphenated rifle rounds get poetic with cast boolits is that the calibers didn't make the leap from black powder to smokeless fuel as gracefully as the 45-70 did. They require more tinkering and R&D to achieve accuracy, in my experience. Why this is the case.......I don't have a clue. It is enough for me to know this to be the case, and I'm willing to put in the hours to get the calibers to cooperate downrange.

runfiverun
10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
with the hyphenated cals a slow for cal powder usually does best for me.
aa-2230 with plain base in the 25-20. 2400 in the 44-40.
700-x in the 32-20. being the odd one out.

2400 is okay in the 44mag and 45 colt, for the upper end.
but i use 800-x in the 44 mag mostly.
titegroup in the 44 special.
herco in the 357.
and unique in the colt for the most part.

even in rifles 2400 does well at different levels, adjusted for accuracy in each one.
but generally other powders seem to have an edge in either velocity or accuracy.

missionary5155
10-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Greetings
At least for me any rifle ..old or newer that I intend to load for the first and most important item is to get a fat enough boolit for the throat. Once that is accomplished the rest seems to fall into place real fast.

rhead
10-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Kirk D's generalizations are kinda consistent with my own observations and results with 25-20, 32-20, 44-40. The 45-70 is A LOT more tractable in its smokeless loadings than the other three calibers, as long as the boolits fit well.

My own views as to why the pistol-length Winchester hyphenated rifle rounds get poetic with cast boolits is that the calibers didn't make the leap from black powder to smokeless fuel as gracefully as the 45-70 did. They require more tinkering and R&D to achieve accuracy, in my experience. Why this is the case.......I don't have a clue. It is enough for me to know this to be the case, and I'm willing to put in the hours to get the calibers to cooperate downrange.

Very true. How many people will do nothing until they "understand" the hows and the whys of a situation well enough to get near perfection on the first attempt? The best way to visualize a process is to carry it out with your eyes open. Try something in the safe range, and observe the results. change something and do it again.

A load that gave someone else very good results in their firearms is seldom the best in mine but it often will be a pretty good starting point.

My own experience seems to indicate that the boolit construction and loading techniques all combine to make a good load. A good load in one of my rifles will do well in others that I own in that loading. Someone else using that load data will get different results in their rifle. Seldom bad results but almost always in need of tweeking. Not that either did anything wrong but we did do some things different.