PDA

View Full Version : help planning a run from Oregon to Yuma thru Calif

45nut
10-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Google thinks I should run down 1-5 then across 8 from east of sandy eggo.

please confirm or assist in avoiding trouble area's.

cobbmtmac
10-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Good Morning Ken,
We go to Yuma once a year. We have tried the "sandy eggo" route as well as the as the Tehachapi/Mojave route. We think the best way is to take the 210 freeway off of I-5, just a little south of Majic Mountain. Take it east, it now will take you all the way to Redlands ("Buckshot" Country) where it meets I-10, stay on I-10 until Indio, then take 111 to El Centro and then I-8 into Yuma. You should try to hit the 210 about 9:30-10am or durning the night. That is a must even if you go south to "sandy eggo".
Good luck,

Linstrum
10-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi, Ken, kind of interesting, if you take the 111 El Centro route along the Salton Sea you'll be over 200 feet below sea level part of the way, the surface of the Salton Sea is 226 feet below sea level. But that isn't the lowest point in North America, about 250 miles northeast of there up kinda near Las Vegas, Nevada, at Badwater in Death Valley National Park is 282.2 feet below sea level!

So be sure to take your submarine. :kidding:

rl853

Larry Gibson
10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Ken

I go south to Lake Havesu and then on to Yuma (occasionally) yearly. I like to stay out of California simply to keep from being a criminal by crossing the border. I've found it an easy trip the way I go as the two lane highways are very good and you can travel just about as fast as on the freeways with a lot less traffic. This is the route i take from your local;

East on 20 to Burns
East on 78 to Burns Junction
South on 95 to Winnemucca
(Winter) West on I80 to Fallon turn off
South on 95 to Las Vegas
(Summer) East on I80 to Battle Mountain
South on 305 to 50
East on 50 to 376
South on 376 to Tonapah
South on 95 to Las Vegas
I515 south through Las Vegas
95 south to 163 (just before California border
East on 163 past Laughlin across Colorado River to 95 in Bullhead city, AZ (just across the river). Take the by pass around Bullhead city to avoid a lot of slower traffic and traffic signals.

Arizona 95 south to border crossing into Needles, CA ( I don't go there). There is a left turn eastboud before the CA border to Golden Shores, AZ which is still AZ Hwy 95. Take that and you come out on I10 on AZ exit 1.
East on I10 about 10 miles to 95 south.
Arizona 95 south will then take you to Yuma

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is. It is a nice drive, avoids California and all the traffic around the big cities and there is lots to see along the way. The only real high traffic area is Las Vegas and staying on I515 around/through it is not a problem. Try to avoid ruch hours there though.

Good luck on your travels.

Larry Gibson

GOPHER SLAYER
10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
210 TO YUMA. Hey wasn't that the name of a movie? Just kidding. Ken take the route cobbmtmac laid out for you. One word of caution, don't take the 111 at Palms springs unless you want to hit a hundred stop signs. Wait until Indio. From Indio to El Centro is four lane all the way now . Just so you won't miss a view of Badwater I am attaching a picture taken there a few years ago. I live a mile and a half off the I-10 in Cherry Vally. If you have time ,stop by for a cup and we can swap lies about what great shooters we are. Cherry Valley is twelve miles east of Redlands .

45nut
10-03-2010, 05:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/buck.jpg

ok,, there is my plan to get thru the LA area.

Matt_G
10-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I think cobbmtmac (Hi Mac! [smilie=s:) has the right idea Ken.
Is the route you posted above the one your thinking of?
Here is cobbmtmac's laid out in Google for you. Mostly anyways. His way takes you down the east side of the Salton Sea whereas the route here is down the west side as you can see. Google maps says this way is 1123 miles. Going down the other side of the Salton Sea (The 111) only adds 5 miles.

45nut
10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I was just on the phone with Buckshot who advised me of the desolation and lack of support out in that area should I have trouble, so I am sticking to the 210 East, 15 South , 8 East route.

Just a bit leery of getting out in the boonies with my old truck.

Matt_G
10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Of course, going Larry's way allows you to see the new NCBS range AND BruceB.
Give you a good idea if you could make it out there next year. Something to be said for that...

Edit:

I can certainly understand that!
That means the above idea won't appeal either.

Gunaria
10-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I think cobbmtmac (Hi Mac! [smilie=s:) has the right idea Ken.
Is the route you posted above the one your thinking of?
Here is cobbmtmac's laid out in Google for you. Mostly anyways. His way takes you down the east side of the Salton Sea whereas the route here is down the west side as you can see. Google maps says this way is 1123 miles. Going down the other side of the Salton Sea (The 111) only adds 5 miles.

My vote is for this way. Once you hit the 8 and are out of SD, your in the bonnies anyway. Depending on the time of day the I5 is a nightmare as soon as you hit LA and all the way thru Orange County. Stop & go traffic will wreck your old truck more than driving thru the bonnies will.

Whatever you decide watch your 6 and be careful.

EOD3
10-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I was just on the phone with Buckshot who advised me of the desolation and lack of support out in that area should I have trouble, so I am sticking to the 210 East, 15 South , 8 East route.

Looks to me like sound thinking Sarge. Here in the Peoples Republic there are NO peaceful traveler provisions. There are several idiotic rules you'll have to deal with. If you aren't on top of this and need assistance, I'll be glad to help with "facts" rather than urban legend.

Linstrum
10-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi, Ken, I am a veteran of driving the Los Angeles freeway system for somewhere around 40 years and I'm sorry to sound so negative, but the Los Angeles freeway system is an abomination and having to drive it was one major reason why I left. If you aren't up to driving 150-200 miles (depending on your route) at 75-80 mph in bumper-to-bumper traffic with punk smart-**** kids who have reflexes three times faster than yours cutting you off every five minutes and then suddenly having to slam on the brakes and come to a complete halt without rear-ending the guy in front of you because of traffic at a dead stop you couldn't see coming up ahead, and then missing your freeway interchange because the signs aren't put up far enough in advance to give you time to work your way across eight lanes of more bumper-to-bumper traffic that won't allow you to get over to the other side of the freeway, I'd really think about it. What I just mentioned is a worst case scenario, but it happens often enough to give you pause! Los Angeles is one place you have to be in the proper lane miles in advance of the first freeway signs that say to be in that lane because you can't divert your attention from driving long enough to read the signs. By the time you get to the first sign telling you what lane to be in, it is all too often just plain too late to get in that lane.

I'd seriously re-think driving through the metropolitan Los Angeles area and skirt around it by taking Interstate 5 to the 210 down to the 10, or better yet, take Larry Gibson's route and just stay out of California. All too often it can be just horrible for first-timers. You'd probably be okay having a guide with you, I used to do that for out-of-town folks going down to the J. Paul Getty Art Museum or LAX.

rl854

lathesmith
10-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Ha, well-put, Lindstum! I've driven in lots of places in this big ol' country of ours, and LA is definitely my least-favorite place to drive through! Very unforgiving for tourists(and others)...

lathesmith

Rockydog
10-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Unfotunately I have to drive right through the North LA area in a few weeks. Headed out to see my son in the Oxnard area. The drive from Wis. to Las Vegas is a piece of cake compared to getting across S. Cal. to the ocean. Last time we hit vegas at 1:00 PM on Sunday Aft. It was literally a parking lot from Vegas to Riverside. Took almost 10 hours from Vegas to the beach. RD

Linstrum
10-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Hey, Rockydog, I lived in the Camarillo-Moorpark area about 15 miles east of Oxnard for 56 years and you don't have to go through north Los Angeles to get to Oxnard if you come by way of Las Vegas, Nevada. On Interstate 15 when you get to Victorville, California, take the Pearblossom Highway, also known as California State Route 138 over to Palmdale and California State Route 14, then California State Route 14 south from Palmdale to the Saugus-Newhall-Santa Clarita-Valencia area, then Interstate 5 north toward Bakersfield a few miles to California State Route 126 at Magic Mountain-Valencia, then west on California State Route 126 to the Wells Road-Saticoy off ramp almost at its very end, and you'll be close enough to Oxnard to figure out how to get to your son's place no problem. I traveled the above route for 56 years anytime I went someplace east of Oxnard.

rl855

Matt_G
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Wow Ken, in light of Linstrum's post, maybe you should go Larry's way and see the new range for NCBS and BruceB.

I've only driven in the S. Cal. area twice. Last time was in Jan. of 2007 when I went to see a friend who lives in Sun City. (Off the 215 between San Bernardino and Temecula)
That traffic was bad enough to cure me from wanting to go into LA proper. :roll:

Calamity Jake
10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I think you need to avoid LA /Cal. at all cost so come east a little, I will take you to shoot a few rounds then we'll head up Tulsa way to visit sundog, you can rest, then on to Yuma!! :kidding:

Whataya think? :bigsmyl2:

45nut
10-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Trip is on hold pending more info due tonight.

waksupi
10-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I've got to agree about driving in that traffic down there. I'm not a fast driver, and become a traffic obstruction. I don't like driving 80 on an open highway, let alone in bumper to bumper traffic. The California route would make your trip much more dangerous to undertake.

Gunaria
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I forgot to mention what we do for fun in bumper to bumper traffic in the LA area with my diesel. All I'm going to say is lot's of black smoke and rolled down windows equals lot's of dirty looks. hahahaha

uncle joe
10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey Ken, make sure you take along a tool box and spares. A little air compressor and a plug kit are a life saver also. if your taking the desert route you may want to take along a gas can full of gas and some water jugs.
good luck and be safe.
UJ

cowboyt
10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I 2nd larry's advice-I've traveled the roads both cally & nev and Larry's is by far the best

cowboyt

EOD3
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
I think you need to avoid LA /Cal. at all cost so come east a little, I will take you to shoot a few rounds then we'll head up Tulsa way to visit sundog, you can rest, then on to Yuma!! :kidding:

Whataya think? :bigsmyl2:

I think you've got a serious geography malfunction there Butch. :bigsmyl2:

45nut
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
OK,, my mom just called and NO CANCER. Whew!!!!!!!! Relieved!

Going north per original plan tomorrow then loop around and south from Provo to yuma to drop in anyway.

Gunaria
10-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Very glad to hear that no C-word about your mom.:-o

onesonek
10-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Very glad to hear that Ken!
Dave

fatnhappy
10-05-2010, 12:32 AM
thank God.

Have fun Ken, take your time.

9.3X62AL
10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
That is some GREAT news about your Mom. As said previously, give me a shout if you get this way, or need help anywhere in the southern third of the state. I'll PM the numbers.