PDA

View Full Version : Proud to use a ladle!

Charlie Sometimes
10-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I can't stand using a bottom pour pot. Never could get the feel of it, so I've always used a standard ladle.

But recently, I switched from a Lee style ladle to an RCBS ladle!

I had tried Lyman style ladles before, but being left handed, I could not get used to using the "pressure pour" ladles "in the wrong direction"- as all were set up right handed! What dummy thought of doing that? :roll: Even Col. Colt had enough sense to build his revolvers left-handed! :grin:

I used the Lee MANY years, as having spouts on both sides was conducive to my techniques, or maybe they were acquired through it's use?
The worst things about the Lee ladle was that you had to learn how to pour to get a good fill on each mold cavity, and it wouldn't hold enough for two large cavities plus sprues, forcing you to "double dip". Whoever said that was a bad thing? :lol:

Well, while cruzing on E-Bay one day, I happen to spot an RCBS ladle that was right handed :roll:, BUT had the correct additions to be properly corrected to operate left handed! :razz: I bid, and eventually won, and once it arrived, I drilled and tapped the opposite side and plugged the other. The universe is once again in balance!

It took a little getting used to, but I now get perfect boolits much sooner when casting, than before. What used to be 20-25 is now around 5 or less, depending on the mold and a few other external factors.

I used to judge proper melt and mold temp by when the wrinkles disappeared, and how soon the base filled out in a particular mold, but now there is so much pressure that I get a properly filled base on the first boolit, and the wrinkles disappear fast and last!

I LOVE it! [smilie=w:

BCall
10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Guess I never really thought about it Charlie cuz I'm not off-handed:razz:, but the last 2 Lyman ladles I had here were new in the box. They had both sides of the bowl drilled and tapped, had the handle screwed into one side and a plug screw in the other. You could switch the handle to your liking.

Dave Bob
10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Well you know the old saying......Only left handed people are in their right mind.

Dave

454PB
10-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Before I got smart and started using bottom pours, I cast a few 1000 pounds of lead the crude way......

I'm a port sider, and 35 years ago the Lyman dippers weren't available for lefties. I cut the handle rod loose at the egg, and brazed it to the other side.

I still use it occasionally for small batches.

white eagle
10-04-2010, 11:16 AM
thats the only way I make boolits
I see no need for all that fancy sheet
I only cast for myself no need to mass produce boolits

WILCO
10-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm a ladle man too! But I have acquired a RCBS Pro Melt.......

Eagles6
10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I use an RCBS ladle too. Just easier and faster with my 2 cavity molds. Bottom pour may be faster for 6 bangers but for now...

Von Gruff
10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
When I started casting it was a thing of expediency and so used an old stainless kitchen pot and made my ladle from a soup spoon. Used a small ball peen hammer to deepen the dish and the side of a square bar to from a rudimentary spout. split a piece of 3/8 rod and rivited the handle in to lengthen and added a wooden handle for the heat. hold the spout an inch above the sprue hole and it has poured thousands of boolits. Has been so effective that I have never felt the need to up grade, either to a comercial ladle or a bottom pour pot.

Von Gruff.

geargnasher
10-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Rowel ladles sure do work well, I'm getting to where I use them more for rifle boolits when I can.

When I realized how hard it was to get left-handed scissors I promptly began teaching myself how to cope with a right-handed world. Since eating and writing tools are pretty much ambidexterous, I still use them with my left hand, but have adapted to use other things right-handed as I have to. Now, I actually have a left-handed ladle, and am all thumbs with it. I also have a left-handed Model 70, but it's a pain to use because the bolt is on the wrong side!

Gear

500bfrman
10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I wasn't aware you could pour a boolit with anything other than a ladle.

Changeling
10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a never used Lyman ladle I would like to trade for a RCBS Ladle in great condition if anyone is interested, just a straight trade.

Charlie Sometimes
10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Rowel ladles sure do work well, I'm getting to where I use them more for rifle boolits when I can.

When I realized how hard it was to get left-handed scissors I promptly began teaching myself how to cope with a right-handed world. Since eating and writing tools are pretty much ambidexterous, I still use them with my left hand, but have adapted to use other things right-handed as I have to. Now, I actually have a left-handed ladle, and am all thumbs with it. I also have a left-handed Model 70, but it's a pain to use because the bolt is on the wrong side!

Gear
Tried the Rowell ladle. It was a tight fit in my pot, and was extra heavy- sold it.
I had a left-handed Rem 700 30-06 once. Never did get used to it- weak hand trying to control rifle while strong hand worked bolt was just WRONG! :roll:

Did do pretty good with a lefty TC 50 cal. Renegade once, but it was percussion, so there really wasn't much difference there.

Some things you just get used too. :veryconfu

parson48
10-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I purchased a cheap stainless ladle a couple of years back. Did a little shaping on it, filed a groove for a spout, and it works great. Can be adjusted (filed) to pour fro either side.

kyswede
10-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I used to work with a tool and die maker who had a sign over his bench that read
"Everyone is born right-handed, only a few overcome it"
kyswede

Tom-ADC
10-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Well you know the old saying......Only left handed people are in their right mind.

Dave

My wife dtill thinks that is true, I don't have the heart to correct her:kidding:

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I also got my ladle of ebay . . . but I don't know who made it . . . I never tried the pressure pour method, I just fill it and pour into the mold about .75 - 1" above . . . works great, I can just barely get my six cavity 200gr MiHec H&G68 filled in one scoop!

I have never used a bottom pour . . . don't plan on it at this time either!

RP
10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
If any of you hard core ladle users have a bottom pour pot sitting around I take it off your hands you could use the extra space iam sure.

Charlie Sometimes
10-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Sold all of my bottom pours over a year or so ago- sorry. :sad:

"Everyone is born right-handed, only a few overcome it."

"Adapt, Improvise, and OVERCOME!"- Standard Operating Prodedure of lefties everywhere! :bigsmyl2: