PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use something like this to organize their mold inventory?

Ole
10-02-2010, 05:30 PM
My dad used to have one of these on his tool pegboard and it made me think it would work well to hold molds vertically:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/31PW5VVHSYL_SS400_.jpg

So does anyone store their molds with a pegboard screwdriver holder like the one pictured?

Any drawbacks? How do you store your molds? I finally have enough that I'm getting tired of just keeping them on a shelf.

geargnasher
10-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking rust and dust. Depends on how nice the atmosphere is where you plan to hang your moulds. I store mine in a drawar, each wrapped individually in a mechanic's red rag saturated in "wet" pure silicone spray.

Gear

Ole
10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm thinking rust and dust. Depends on how nice the atmosphere is where you plan to hang your moulds. I store mine in a drawar, each wrapped individually in a mechanic's red rag saturated in "wet" pure silicone spray.

Gear

All my molds are aluminum and I was thinking of mounting these inside a large cabinet door.

Bosshaug
10-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I keep all of my molds in drawers with dessicant packs.

imashooter2
10-02-2010, 06:26 PM
All of mine are in a large Cabela's "dry box" with some desiccant. I just can't picture degreasing a mold AGAIN every time I want to use it.

Bret4207
10-03-2010, 09:03 AM
I use a dead refrigerator. A 15 watt light bulb and large desiccant pack help with rust and I've got them grouped my caliber and the caliber written on the interior wall. With 80+ moulds the fridge is pretty full. I also store my powder in the door section.

TCLouis
10-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Rust here in the humid SE is death for the non aluminum ones, so all of mine are stored in ammo cans.

I got a deal on ammo cans a few years ago and stocked up.

cbrick
10-03-2010, 12:02 PM
There have been several threads on storing molds. I need to take a picture of the containers I use to keep my molds clean, dry and rust free. Once I get the oil off a mold I sure ain't puttin it back on. It's a food storage container with a silicon gasket seal in the lid from the grocery store, completely water and air tight. Before I started buying and using these I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water and placed one of these with a desiccant chip in the bucket, I used a couple of bricks to hold it on the bottom. After a few days the inside and the chip were completely dry.

They come in several sizes, my most common one holds two 2 cavity molds but I have some that hold two 6 cavs. They aren't expensive at about $4.00 each and considering how well they work, the price of molds today and the hassle of oiling molds every time they're actually quite cheap. Every time I went to the grocery store I'd buy one or two, that way I didn't have the shock of buying 40 or more of them at one time.

They stack very well and with 60+ molds (and counting) that's a big plus. I'll try to get a picture today in case anyone is interested in these.

Rick

geargnasher
10-03-2010, 12:21 PM
All of mine are in a large Cabela's "dry box" with some desiccant. I just can't picture degreasing a mold AGAIN every time I want to use it.

"Degreasing" is simple if you use a dimethylpolysiloxane spray with no hydrocarbon oils. A dry knit rag (old tee-shirt) is used to wipe off excess, a Q-tip saturated with brake cleaner swabs out the cavities, blow the cavities dry, and preheat the mould. Done.

Gear

Old Caster
10-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Same thing as Gearnasher except I use air instead of the rag and I have no problem. It might be years before I get some moulds out again.

mooman76
10-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I keep mine in an old foot locker in the original boxes, standing on end so I can see what the moulds are. I occationally move them to shelves or a drawer trying to reorganize better but they usually make it back.

Uncle Grinch
10-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Mine are kept in a Rubber-Maid snap close container, although it's not air tight, it keeps them organized and fairly clean. Before storing them, I take a used dryer sheet that I spray with machine oil and wipe them down. Then a sheet is placed inside the mould and closed (not all the way - don't want to spring them). Then the flaps of the dryer sheet are wrapped around the outside and they are then placed in the container.

Yeah, I have to clean then each time, but I've never had any rust show up and here in middle Georgia, it's easy to grow that stuff!

imashooter2
10-03-2010, 08:03 PM
"Degreasing" is simple if you use a dimethylpolysiloxane spray with no hydrocarbon oils. A dry knit rag (old tee-shirt) is used to wipe off excess, a Q-tip saturated with brake cleaner swabs out the cavities, blow the cavities dry, and preheat the mould. Done.

Gear

My process is just a bit simpler.

Open box. Pick up mold. Done. 8-)

btroj
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
What is this organize thing you speak of? I am not familiar with it at all.
I have the moulds I use most sitting on the bench next to my casting pot. Those not in use get put in a cabinet in reloading room. Organization is not what I would call it. My wife frequently agrees, and comments on said lack of organization.

To each there own, but no system made will work for me as I would never follow thru. Do whatever will work for YOU.

Brad

I hate to say it but I have odd containers of cast bullets, some sized and lined, all over too!