PDA

View Full Version : So how many molds is too many?

happy7
10-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I kind of think this may have been discussed before, but I couldn't get a search to find anything for me. And ok, I realize this question has no correct answer, or at least a different answer for every person. Some will say you can never have too many. Some have two or three or even one mold and say it is enough. I am not really asking a question, but opening a discussion, because I have recently passed the 100 mold milestone, and I guess I am reflecting on how hard I have been bitten by this hobby and whether maybe some moderation is in order. I thought I was getting to the point that I had enough molds, and then I have seem to have picked up another half dozen here recently. I used to think all I wanted was one good mold for each gun. Take 45 ACP for instance. I purchased the Lee six cavity 230 grain 2R RN and it shoots very well for me. I figured that coverd my 45 ACP needs. Now I have 10 molds for that cartridge, plus a few for 45 colt. I have progressed from the point of just wanting to have something to stuff the front of a cartridge to wanting to play with a new bullet, a new mold. I just can't seem to help myself. I know most of you are like me, and can't resist an interesting mold. Have any of you ever gotten to where you have enough:?:

Trey45
10-02-2010, 03:44 PM
If you have to move out of your house and into a larger house just to store all your molds, you might have too many, but then again, if you move to a bigger house , you have more room for storage, and this of course means, you need more molds.

Artful
10-02-2010, 03:52 PM
With me it goes in stages - when I started I wanted a cheaper way to keep shooting, the jacketed bullets cost to much then and the swaged lead didn't perform for me. I then started with a single cavity 452460 and 358156 per reading in the college library stacks from the likes of askins, keith, skelton, nonte and grennell. When I needed more production I bought a second single cavity 452460 - as I began shooting different guns I bought molds for them for 30, 44 caliber. Picking up different shooting sports required different molds. Then my wages were enough I could buy the cheap import/surplus ammo so I quit casting and reloading. It was cheaper to buy a SKS then load for the Garand and instead of 5.56 get an 5.45x39 AK74 type for three gun. Eventually the political / social bubble burst and now it's cheaper to make my own than buy surplus - Price of components is high for what I don't make. but the price of a new 6 cavity lee is very reasonable - so I can experiment with some new design and find enjoyment in that.

I don't count my molds but know I can always us a new one for some strange project, but to put it simply - I don't think there is a magic number to stop at. If you go from eating lunch at Hooter to eating at Wendy's it's not a problem but if you skip lunch's so you can buy a mold it may be time to check your priorities.

Springfield
10-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't know, from what I have seen most of us could use skipping a few lunches, myself included. You eat the food, it is gone. At least with a mould you could sell it later and get some of your investment back. I think when you have so many moulds that you find some that you don't remember buying and have no idea what it is for, then maybe you have too many.

home in oz
10-02-2010, 04:13 PM
There is no such thing as too many.

scb
10-02-2010, 05:40 PM
:veryconfu I don't understand the question.

geargnasher
10-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Along the lines of what Springfield said, if you by a new mould for a specific purpose in mind, then sometime later go through your inventory and discover you already had one, perhaps it's time to pare down the collection and liquidate the moulds that are no longer being used.

When you have so much stuff that you can't keep track of it or remember what you have, maybe it's time for a reduction of stuff or a better system of organizing. However, being a compulsive mould hoarder, it would take an intervention to get me to sell any of mine! :kidding:

Gear

noylj
10-02-2010, 06:01 PM
You have too many when you go through your molds and keep discovering ones you have never used or have any guns for. However, you need to be sure that you have all possible molds for guns you do have and, if a good deal is found, all the molds you will need when you buy a gun in that caliber.
As you can see, There is a very fine line between adequate supply of molds and too many.

home in oz
10-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I thought EVERYBODY had molds they had forgotton they owned, duplicates, etc.

XWrench3
10-02-2010, 07:34 PM
how many molds are to many? when you have more than you will possibly ever use i guess. i think that most of us are content with at least 2 molds per caliber, and more in some. personally, some calibers, i am perfectly happy with just one. for instance my 45acp. one, six cavity 230g rn mold is all i need for thast. others, at least two, sometimes 3 or 4 molds.in 30 caliber rifle, i can see probably 5 or 6, maybe even more. why so many? i have more than one 30 caliber rifle, and i want different bullets to do different jobs. plus, the one only likes heavy bullets. so shooting anything lighter than 165 grains is out of its accuracy zone. of course, one mans interpatation can be way different than anothers. some folks are happy with 2" @ 50 yards. me, i have to get under an inch @ 100, or i have to keep searching.

captaint
10-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Any more, every time I buy a new mold, I say "OK, I'm done now. Don't need any more". Then I see that just one more I gotta have. Endless, but fun!! Mike

Echo
10-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Along the lines of what Springfield said, if you by a new mould for a specific purpose in mind, then sometime later go through your inventory and discover you already had one, perhaps it's time to pare down the collection and liquidate the moulds that are no longer being used.

When you have so much stuff that you can't keep track of it or remember what you have, maybe it's time for a reduction of stuff or a better system of organizing. However, being a compulsive mould hoarder, it would take an intervention to get me to sell any of mine! :kidding:

Gear

+1 - I have 4 358156 molds. How did that happen?

Echo
10-02-2010, 08:11 PM
You have too many when you go through your molds and keep discovering ones you have never used or have any guns for. However, you need to be sure that you have all possible molds for guns you do have and, if a good deal is found, all the molds you will need when you buy a gun in that caliber.
As you can see, There is a very fine line between adequate supply of molds and too many.

Well, I disagree. It just means you don't have enough guns...

Echo
10-02-2010, 08:13 PM
how many molds are to many? when you have more than you will possibly ever use i guess. i think that most of us are content with at least 2 molds per caliber, and more in some. personally, some calibers, i am perfectly happy with just one. for instance my 45acp. one, six cavity 230g rn mold is all i need for thast.

Again, I disagree. I'm only loading about 8-10 cartridges, and have about 70 moulds, and am on the lookout for more!

Leadmelter
10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Just got back into casting. I did try and make a inventory of my molds but then I bought some more over last winter. I think I have enough now with about 30 total and I have at least 2 per caliber.
I have been buying 4 cavity bullet molds. I thought they would be a hassle but with what I learned from you, they are great. What a pleasure seeing four bullits drop from the mold every 15-20 seconds. Lots of boolits and fun!!
Gerry

HangFireW8
10-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Not sure I understand the question either, at least one mold per gun sounds good, if you like to shoot beaters chances are them old guns each have their own bore diameter which has only a chance relationship to the one in the bullet catalog. Unless you enjoy bumping or extreme sizing that means another mold.

Too many broken or problematic molds I can believe that, I've been fixing old molds and sending newish ones back to the factory. I'm getting to the point that everything I own works, well, one more problem mold to go at least.

-HF

justingrosche
10-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I kind of think this may have been discussed before, but I couldn't get a search to find anything for me. And ok, I realize this question has no correct answer, or at least a different answer for every person. Some will say you can never have too many. Some have two or three or even one mold and say it is enough. I am not really asking a question, but opening a discussion, because I have recently passed the 100 mold milestone, and I guess I am reflecting on how hard I have been bitten by this hobby and whether maybe some moderation is in order. I thought I was getting to the point that I had enough molds, and then I have seem to have picked up another half dozen here recently. I used to think all I wanted was one good mold for each gun. Take 45 ACP for instance. I purchased the Lee six cavity 230 grain 2R RN and it shoots very well for me. I figured that coverd my 45 ACP needs. Now I have 10 molds for that cartridge, plus a few for 45 colt. I have progressed from the point of just wanting to have something to stuff the front of a cartridge to wanting to play with a new bullet, a new mold. I just can't seem to help myself. I know most of you are like me, and can't resist an interesting mold. Have any of you ever gotten to where you have enough:?:
Matt I know you have too many 44 cal molds, so you should immediately send me that 429352 that you have, to trim down a bit. LOL:bigsmyl2:

a.squibload
10-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah, nobody said you should SELL excess molds, but you could donate 'em!

Having only a few molds my answer to the question would be NO.

Some calibers, like 44, are so versatile that several molds would seem to be a minimum.
I have 4 44 molds and could use a couple more.
Just got a 38 mold (first one), I think it counts as 2 molds as it is a RG2 HP mold (from NOE).
So by that count I have 7, actual count is 5 though.
But molds don't take up much space, so I am always looking for more!

Springfield
10-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I keep track of my mould inventory by putting one of each one in a line on my shelf. I have a few missing, have to get back at it.

casterofboolits
10-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Too many moulds?????? Nah! Some times I think they actually breed.

How else would I end up with four Lyman four cavity 429421 moulds? :shock:

Bret4207
10-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Consider than an investment....

44fanatic
10-03-2010, 10:53 AM
There is always room and a need or desire for 1 more.

MT Gianni
10-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I thin and trim the herd occasionally.The usual motivator is having an excess in that size or just realizing I will never get to that project and move on,

Three44s
10-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Just send me a list of your molds and I'll tell you which ones are inappropriate to your needs.

Send me those and I'll see that they get "a proper home".

Three 44s

63 Shiloh
10-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Hmm, tough question.

I have 5 molds for my 686 alone, I have never fired a j bullet through it ever:castmine:

Then there is the BP molds, 45/70 molds, .452" molds, .224" molds, .308 molds and more!

I blame this site:smile:

Waiting on my 9.3 mold now from a GB, these GB's are just downright dangerous!

My better half asked me, 'are you on that Boolit site again??' 'What are you buying this time, when are you going to finish the bathroom renovations?'

It goes on.....

Mick

WILCO
10-04-2010, 01:04 AM
There is no such thing as too many.

Ditto for me!

looseprojectile
10-04-2010, 01:19 AM
notwithstanding, I have just gotten into loading for Chinese and Russian rifles.
Surplus is more expensive than reloads.
None of my .30 caliber moulds are right for them. I must have six or eight, too small in diameter.
Just the other day I read about one of the gun scribes having over 250 moulds.
That is just sinful.
I only have about fifty.
There are very few calibers that I can not make a cartridge for.
Anyone care to take it to another level? How about reloading dies?

Life is good

looseprojectile
10-04-2010, 01:47 AM
At the last gun show I spied a two cavity Lachmiller mould on a table. $10.00.
It is a .375 round ball.
Brand new.
Probably won't ever shoot round balls in the .375 H&H but I rationalized that it would make a good donor set of blocks for a paper patch BPCR boolit.
When looking through my moulds I find I already have a .375 round ball mould.
Good thing I don't have to justify what I gather cause if I don't know what I have no one else will. Fer sure!!!!

Life is good

Hang Fire
10-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Speaking for myself, I have no idea. I think I now have about 40 and still want more.

AZ-Stew
10-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I started with a Lee .357 SWCGC. I soon found that it wouldn't seat properly in .30-06 cases and that I couldn't get a good crimp on it in .44 Magnum cases.

You need at least one per caliber (groove diameter). I can see a frugal person trying several per caliber, then selling off all but the one that gives best results. But, then, you never know when you might buy another gun in a certain caliber, and that gun might like one of the ones you were tempted to sell off. So you might just as well keep them all. That's how I ended up with a drawer full of moulds.

Regards,

Stew

rintinglen
10-04-2010, 11:08 PM
If you can move 'em with a wheel barrel, you don't have too many.

94Doug
10-05-2010, 12:14 AM
..as long as there are guns I do not yet have, there have to be more moulds that I will need in the future; and I hope to have them all purchased by then.

or something.

Doug