PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas to propane???

SWANEEDB
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Somewhere on the forum I read where one switched a water heater burner(n/g), over to propane, what does one need to do to switch over and where is the best place to get the parts? I just had to replace my w/heater, burner is in very good condition so maybe a little salvage is in store.

deltaenterprizes
10-02-2010, 07:52 PM
You need a smaller orifice. Try a pumbing supply house

jmsj
10-02-2010, 08:15 PM
SWANEEDB,
In one of my smelters I used a commercial water heater burner that was originally propane, converted to natural gas and then I converted it back to propane.

The manager at the local propane supplier helped me with sizing the orifice and getting pressures right for the BTU's I was looking for.

cajun shooter
10-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Look up your local Propane dealers, the ones who deliver propane. They will give you all needed info.

Mal Paso
10-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Propane uses a smaller orifice than the same BTU Natural Gas burner but also uses Higher Pressure than NG. Most Natural Gas Controls have a built in Pressure Regulator which often is not convertible to propane. I have never seen a NG Residential Water Heater that was convertible to Propane. If it's just the burner from a water heater then there is an orifice conversion chart from NG to Propane.

John Guedry
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I have had a N.G. water heater converted to propane. The service man for the propane co. did it for me for a reasonable amount.