PDA

View Full Version : Just want to say thanks

Jailer
10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I wasn't sure what subforum to put this is but this looks like the place.

I want to thank everyone here for their wealth of knowledge that they share. If it wasn't for a place like this I would never have been able to get started in casting.

Well I smelted my first batch of wheel weights last night and it went perfectly. Did my best to keep the temp as low as possible and fluxed with sawdust as suggested by many on this site. Took all the precautions everyone mentioned and followed everyones suggestions. Only thing I will do different next time is add fewer wheel weights at once to make getting the clips out a little easier. Thanks again everyone for all the info.

First off, my score. One days worth of scrounging for all of this. A grand total of $10 in material.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/wheelweights002.jpg

My setup. $40 fish fryer from Wally World and a cast iron dutch oven.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/L4.jpg

Wheel weights all melted.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/L3.jpg

Clips and dross removed. All these clips were in the pot, that's why it was a PITA to remove them and why I'd do it differently next time.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/L2.jpg

And finished result.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/l1.jpg

Trey45
10-02-2010, 10:38 AM
NICE!!! Those ingots look perfect! You are well on your way to becoming a full fledged addict! Keep up the good work.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-02-2010, 10:44 AM
And he's off . . . . . . . !! To a very good start, no looking back now, get out that mold and make up some boolits![smilie=w:

Echo
10-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Yo, Jailer!

Don't you think you're SMART! I'll bet you haven't been so proud of your work in a LONG time! And that is a main ingredient in our obsession. You did very well!

And +1 on the PITA re all the blasted clips. BT, DT!

It looks like you did your rendering in the garage - hopefully with the door open. If you move your apparatus outdoors, you might want to build a windscreen around your cooker. Make it maybe 18" high, use some sheet Al w/Al angles for the corners, and maybe only 1/2 way on the sides to keep it easy getting in & out. Al strap on the ends, all pop-riveted together, and things will go some faster when the wind can't blow your heat away.

All in all, an outstanding effort.

Jailer
10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
NICE!!! Those ingots look perfect! You are well on your way to becoming a full fledged addict! Keep up the good work.

You are right on the money on the addict part! I've been sitting here this morning trying to think where more tire shops are that I could hit up for wheel weights. :grin:

I sorted out all the steel and zinc before hand to try and make my first smelting experience as smooth and painless as possible.

And he's off . . . . . . . !! To a very good start, no looking back now, get out that mold and make up some boolits![smilie=w:

Funny part is I don't even HAVE any molds yet. Still trying to decide on what I want. I got a set of BTSniper's swaging dies on the way so I'm going to start off with something just to cast cores with. Good practice since they won't have to be perfect and I can perfect my technique before I actually cast any boolits.

Yo, Jailer!

Don't you think you're SMART! I'll bet you haven't been so proud of your work in a LONG time! And that is a main ingredient in our obsession. You did very well!

And +1 on the PITA re all the blasted clips. BT, DT!

It looks like you did your rendering in the garage - hopefully with the door open. If you move your apparatus outdoors, you might want to build a windscreen around your cooker. Make it maybe 18" high, use some sheet Al w/Al angles for the corners, and maybe only 1/2 way on the sides to keep it easy getting in & out. Al strap on the ends, all pop-riveted together, and things will go some faster when the wind can't blow your heat away.

All in all, an outstanding effort.

I was just inside the garage since it was raining when I started last night. And absolutely the door was open. The breeze got most of the smell and smoke out. :D

Definitely going to need a wind break though. I had to move the pot over to one side to keep the pot centered over the flame.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Doby45
10-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Awesome job on your first smelting experience. [smilie=w:

Cherokee
10-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Way to go !! Looks like a good start to me....

Jailer
10-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Just finished smelting it all. Ended up with 140 lbs of ingots. I'm happy and I'm hooked.

"edit" to add pic. Had to peel 11 of them out of one of the pans. They all stuck for some reason. just one pan with the problem though and it was destroyed getting the ingots out.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/ingots002.jpg

mroliver77
10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Yep, I have destroyed a couple muffin pans too. Rust is a good release. You really need a cheapo Lee 2 cav and start to casting! Looks like you have the smelting down pat .
Jay

Trey45
10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I think you should send me some of those ingots for extensive zinc testing, 100 pounds should do it. :kidding:

fryboy
10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
tin coated muffin pans is prolly why that one stuck , old rusty cast iron can often be found at garbage sales for cheap or free ( because it's rusted and worthless to them put priceless to us ) yes sir it is addictive - worse it makes shooting even more addicting lolz good start amigo !

1Shirt
10-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Keep us posted on your progress. Looks like you are headed in the right direction!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Jailer
10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Yep, I have destroyed a couple muffin pans too. Rust is a good release. You really need a cheapo Lee 2 cav and start to casting! Looks like you have the smelting down pat .
Jay

Keep us posted on your progress. Looks like you are headed in the right direction!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Progress update.

Finally got my molds today. Scrubbed them real good with a toothbrush, blowed them dry with the air compressor and then sprayed them down good with break cleaner. Went the el cheapo route with a couple Lee 2 cavity molds to get started with.

I once again have to say thanks. I did everything suggested by all the posters here when I got started casting. The first 2 pours (4 boolits) had wrinkes then after that they were all perfect. Well perfect when the dummy holding the handles was doing his job. :oops:

Had a few that I didn't get the mold filled and a few where the mold halves weren't lined up when I poured. Other than that it went smooth as silk.

And of course the pics. Probably doesn't look like much to you guys but I'm real happy with the results and progress.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/Boolits002.jpg

lwknight
10-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Gorgeous boooolits!!
Good Job.
A few bases not 100% but it will come with practice.

Jailer
10-11-2010, 10:16 PM
They are cores for swaging so they don't have to be perfect, that's why I wanted to practice with these. Once I get it down I'll be getting some more molds for my other guns.

So how do you get the bases to cut clean every time? Let them cool longer? Cut them sooner? I tired to be consistent but of course being my first time I was just guessing and just kept trying to do what was working. My goal is consistent weight.

chboats
10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't see anything wrong with those bases. With practice you will become more consistant.

Be carfull of this sight it can cost you a lot of money. iIt is full of "I needs" and "got to haves". stay away from the group but section, it is dangerous!!!

Great job on those boolits. your off to a good start.

Guys I think this one is hooked.

carl

jmsj
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Jailer,
Great job, your'e a quick study. Keep it up!!
I agree w/ you about removing the clips. Been thinking about using one of those magnets that have a retractable magnet. The kind they use for picking up nails.
jmsj

Jailer
10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't see anything wrong with those bases. With practice you will become more consistant.

Be carfull of this sight it can cost you a lot of money. iIt is full of "I needs" and "got to haves". stay away from the group but section, it is dangerous!!!

Great job on those boolits. your off to a good start.

Guys I think this one is hooked.

carl

Hooked? No question! It's actually a problem I have. When I find something new that interest me that I take up, I can't just do a little bit. It's all or nothing with me.

As I sit here typing, I'm sorting my freshly cast boolits by weight so when my BTSniper swaging dies get here I'm all set to roll.

home in oz
10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
You did well, a good start!

Jailer
10-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Jailer,
Great job, your'e a quick study. Keep it up!!
I agree w/ you about removing the clips. Been thinking about using one of those magnets that have a retractable magnet. The kind they use for picking up nails.
jmsj

Get a cheap tool holder from your favorite farm supply. That what we used to use when I worked for a roofer to pick up nails. They are a strong magnet and they are cheap.

You did well, a good start!

Thanks.