PDA

View Full Version : Safety Violations...

4570guy
10-01-2010, 05:25 PM
How many safety concerns do you see here?

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38483#p459297

I already posted and reminded them of safe casting practices. I don't want other newbies picking up unsafe casting practices. Maybe the gentle reminder will keep them from getting seriously burned.

noylj
10-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I can imagine how many "some" people would see, but the biggies for me are: wearing shorts and casting on a porous table. Never had any problems NOT wearing gloves, and I have very poor coordination wearing any gloves. Always wear cotton, as synthetics melt and stick to you as bad as lead.
Also, almost all pictures are staged and show lots of errors.

4570guy
10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Porous table - good catch too - I should have mentioned that one as well. Although, it looks like there might be a glass top on it. I wonder how plate glass would react if you spattered molten lead on it? I'll bet it would shatter...

Edited: Just looked again at the pics - there doesn't appear to be a glass top on that table.

Tazman1602
10-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Not a big deal, it's like my looking at a I just dropped on the towel and thinking "MAN that is a NICE looking bullet" right before I reach down and pick it up..........................

................he won't get spattered more than once or twice before he covers them legs up..........

PS -- Wife used to panic when she heard me howl when I'm casting, now she just laughs and 'hollers out "DANG THOSE ARE HOT, EH?"

uncle joe
10-01-2010, 07:07 PM
being somewhat blind in one eye now glasses would be good idea, and a must for me now.

wiljen
10-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I personally like his tagline seems completely out of place.

sirgknight
10-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I had to do a double take on the pictures. I thought for sure someone had snuck up on me during one of my casting sessions. Seriously, it does look just like me except I cover my legs with a large heavy cotton towel. My casting pot is bolted to 3/4" piece of plywood and the plywood is hinged to a work table....no chance of the pot being bumped and spilled. I only wear gloves when I'm making ingots and those are actually welders gloves with the long sleeves. The table is a definite no-no. The sprue plate alone would be a hazard with a porous table.

Doby45
10-02-2010, 12:23 AM
it's like my looking at a I just dropped on the towel and thinking "MAN that is a NICE looking bullet" right before I reach down and pick it up..

I do that EXACT thing repeatedly..

As far as his casting setup.. Mine looks almost identical.. I will get a picture tomorrow. Small table (glass topped) oh and lead splatter on it flattens out like tin foil) I may or may not wear shorts, depends on my mood. No gloves, unless I am doing a bunch of mold swapping and then I will wear a leather glove on my laft hand. Sprues get cut right back into the pot. Then I dump boolits to my right, either in a bucket of water (gasp) or a pan with a folded towel in it.
http://www.purpleboard.net/forums/images/smilies/037.gif

Fixxah
10-02-2010, 11:33 AM
If the table has a glass top, that must be rerally safe. No glass will break and the furnace won't fall over either.

45nut
10-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Nobody starts out as experts,, except the experts.
I see no reason to ridicule him, but it is a teaching moment and an opportunity to guide him into the silver stream with safety in mind and it looks clear he is willing and smart enough to learn.

HeavyMetal
10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
went and looked at the link and then scrolled down and looked at some of the feed back.

Some of his site buddies took him to task for his lack of concern with being burned so he got the message maybe.

If I stand to cast shorts and shoes work fine, always have one hand gloved and never pick up hot boolits!

If I sit then I wear long pants and shoes.

I always quench cast so picking up hot boolits doesn't happen to me.

I would be a little lery of that table but since I can't inspect it the expanded metal surface may well be securely welded to the frame work and be fully capable of supporting the weight thats on it and, for a guy making 100 rounds or so, would be perfectly servicable if so prepared.

Doby45
10-02-2010, 12:08 PM
If the table has a glass top, that must be rerally safe. No glass will break and the furnace won't fall over either.

Your exactly right, thats why I don't let idiots around my casting area. I also don't allow people that smoke around my casting area cause I might get lung cancer from second hand smoke. :coffeecom

casterofboolits
10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Hot lead splaters usually teach caution!

Don't ask me how I know!

Recluse
10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
How many safety concerns do you see here?

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38483#p459297

I already posted and reminded them of safe casting practices. I don't want other newbies picking up unsafe casting practices. Maybe the gentle reminder will keep them from getting seriously burned.

I cast sitting down on most occasions. I always, repeat ALWAYS wear glasses/safety glasses, but have never worn a face-shield. Always wear gloves and always wear long pants. Do not always wear long-sleeve shirts, especially during the hotter days.

Biggest thing I saw in that Texas CHL thread was casting on an unsturdy platform. That kind of made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, but other than that, (and the gloves), they were being careful.

:coffee:

x101airborne
10-03-2010, 06:05 AM
I used to cast on a small mesh table like that in shorts and my crocs, no gloves, no eyewear. My lab came by and his clumsey butt bumped the table hard and my pot went over. Splattered my bare legs but good!!! Now i am scarred around the ankles and forearms from gettig the hot lead off. That aint no d**n joke. Still got the dog, but only because i was too pre-occupied to grab a gun, and now i just feel stupid for not knowing better in the first place.

Now my table is heavy wood, tall, pot bolted down with plexiglass shielding hanging by chain between my face and the furnace and a 1" spill rail on the edge of the countertop. Still wear gloves and heavy clothes. Anyone looking to save money should think about the doctor bills, get off their a** and do it right the first time.

TripletDad
10-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Another thing I see is it looks like he's inside and no fan blowing the fumes away. I cast in the garage, right at the edge of the fully open garage door with a box fan behind me, blowing past me, then the furnace and on to the outside.

Doby45
10-03-2010, 10:32 PM
If your casting the only thing you NEED the fan for is cooling yourself or your sprue. You not going to get "fumed" by lead at casting temps.. There are folks here that cast in their basements.

btroj
10-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I see a few things would not do. Don't like the mesh table. I also don't ever cast in shorts.
I would imagine he will soon learn that and change his ways.
I see nothing I would call a violation. I am sure most of us here have different ideas on what is right or wrong. I have no fan blowing and cast in my garage. I never wear gloves either. I have a shallow bowl of water to drop bullets into. I am sure many would chastise me for any one of these but this is what works for me.

I just don't know that there are any rules I would insist upon except to always wear eye protection, that is not negotiable.

Brad

captaint
10-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I don't think that table is my style. That top looks way too porous for me. And casting without my heavy leather gloves would be impossible. After I get everything heated up good I like to open the sprue plates by hand. enjoy Mike

Johnw...ski
10-04-2010, 05:56 AM
I usually sandles, but otherwise it looks about normal.