PDA

View Full Version : Plain-Base Bullets and Gas Checks

Southern Shooter
09-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Can some type of gas check be used on plain-base bullets?

Thanks

Dill45
09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
I don't believe so...That would increase the diameter of the bullet at the base.

Though I could be wrong, I'm no expert.

Gohon
09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
What a coincidence this question should come up. I just finished loading 50 rounds using the Lee 358-158-RF which is a bevel base non gas check design. Actually there isn't much of a bevel on the base but it is there. Thing is though, I loaded these with a gas check crimped in place. Goofing around one night I discovered the bullet would sit down into the gas check cup however so slight. Running one through a Lee crimp die the check crimped solidly in place. I cannot pull one loose unless I use a pair of pliers and they are not over sized after the check is crimped on. They do however have a slight cupping on the bottom of the base of the check as they do not seat flat against the base of the bullet but they are square and even. I loaded 50 rounds using 2400, starting at 11.5 grains and working up to 15.5 grains. This gives me 10 rounds each to test. How they will shoot.........I haven't a clue but I'll find out in the next few days.

So to answer your question....yes it is possible depending on the design but probable not practical.

lwknight
09-30-2010, 10:05 PM
yes it is possible depending on the design but probable not practical.

Thats the word I was looking for.

looseprojectile
09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
It is called a "card wad" on a plain base boolit. They work the same way.

Life is good

ReloaderFred
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Pat Marlin is making a gas check tool for adding a gas check to a plain base bullet. He's already produced them in .35 caliber, and I'm waiting for him to make mine in .44 caliber. There is a thread on this very subject in the swaging forum.

I'm also told that the Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller is capable of making a recess on the base of a bullet of the proper caliber that will accept a gas check, though I don't own one, or I would have already tried it to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

Fred

beagle
09-30-2010, 10:43 PM
If you have a sizing die of the required size, it's possible to swage the base band down to accept a GC and it shoots well but is a little work intensive.

I recently got one of Pat Marlin's .35PB gas check tools and the checks it makes fit on the base nicely and a trip back into the sizing die (I was using pre-sized and lubed bullets) crimps the check nicely into the base of the bullet with little effort. This is probably the way to go./beagle

44man
10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
WHY? Make the PB harder. If a bevel base will not shoot, get rid of the bevel in the mold.
I have found no need for a GC unless you NEED to shoot a softer boolit or go nuts in a rifle with velocity.
Yes, there is a place for a GC and it can be wonderful where needed but I bet too many guns are shot where they are just extra expense.

buck1
10-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I have read that you can poke a hole in the center of a gas check, place it in a mold, pour through the check to fill the mold, and presto a pbgc. I have not tryed it.

Gohon
10-01-2010, 10:52 AM
WHY? Make the PB harder.

Why what??? Haven't you ever experimented with something just to see what would happen? I have moulds that are GC designs I use if I need something with a GC. Has nothing to do with needing something other than a PB which works fine thank you. Who knows.....maybe I'll discover one mould could do double duty in a pinch. It's just something to do and play around with.

x101airborne
10-01-2010, 11:00 AM
absolutely.... because its there.

mdi
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Why what??? Haven't you ever experimented with something just to see what would happen? I have moulds that are GC designs I use if I need something with a GC. Has nothing to do with needing something other than a PB which works fine thank you. Who knows.....maybe I'll discover one mould could do double duty in a pinch. It's just something to do and play around with.
Yep, me too.

If it weren't for the tinkerers would we have gas checks made from beer cans? Or lube made from floor wax? I understand alox was originall a metal preservative. There's a bunch of stuff we use today that came from "I wonder what would happen if..."

44man
10-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Sure have, for over 56 years. You are correct, there are places where a gas check is just not needed. I shoot a lot of PB and they just need an alloy change in most cases but with the right powder, even very soft works.
You might have mistook what I was saying. You are looking at a real cheapskate that drops his teeth with GC prices! :groner:

qajaq59
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I have news for you 44man. You don't have to be a cheapskate to drop your teeth at the prices on GC lately. LOL

Gohon
10-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Finally got around to testing the loads I mentioned in post #3. At 50 yards, 3 shot groups were as follows.....

11.5 grains 2400 = 7/8" (1324 fps by book #'s)

12.5 grains 2400 = 3/4"

13.5 grains 2400 = 1 1/8"

14.5 grains 2400 = 1 1/2"

15.5 grains 2400 = 1 1/8" (1744 fps by book #'s)

H&R 357 mag with 2.5x20 scope was the rifle used. Tomorrow will shoot same using a Marlin 1894C. That will leave 4 rounds from each loading which I'll run through the chrony. Even though I used a rest, my shooting leaves something to be desired these days so I suspect others could shoot tighter groups. Will probable load another batch and test the same way at 100 yards. I don't expect to load and shoot these in the future but for someone with limited moulds the possibilities are there.