View Full Version : Velocity guess??

qajaq59
09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Rifle..........................Remington 70ml
load... ......................80 grains of RS ffg
Cast Lee Conical... 332 grains
Wad........................ 1.8 inch felt, lubed
Twist .......................1/48
Would anyone have an idea just what the velocity might be? It isn't really important, but I'm curious to know, and I don't have a chrono.
I dug one out of the sugar sand berm yesterday, and it had really flattened out, so it must be moving fairly fast.

roverboy
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Its hard to say but, I'd guess your getting somewhere around 1300-1400 fps. It'd be a good deer load right there. I like conical boolits. I shoot Maxi-Hunters in my CVA Stag Horn, but my T/C New Englander don't like'em much. It does shoot Great Plains and round balls good though.

Josh Smith
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Hello,

Here's something you might find fun to play with if you get bored:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2q9lb62306dc80j/22RF%2050yd%20Audio%20Chronograph%20BETA.xlsx

You'll need a 50yd range, a sound editor/analyzer with graphical readout - Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net/]Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder ) is totally free - and it helps if you have something that makes a lot of noise - like steel - at 50 yards. You need to hear the report and the impact (or, rather, the software needs to).
This particular chrono program is geared specifically to the .22lr at 50 yards. It opens with Microsoft Excel. Just plug the numbers in and you should get readings very close to those of a standard chronograph.

I've not tested it at ranges longer than 50yds, and so I just locked in 50 yards (unless you would like to manually change it).

Should work pretty well for muzzleloaders and shotguns - anything that might destroy the skyscreens of a standard chronograph - as well.

The average velocity should be about +/- 2% or so, but the MV is going to be off - and it'll be off even more so the further distance you move.

Have fun!

Josh

firefly1957
10-17-2010, 11:22 PM
1300-1400 is a good possibility reason for my post is to warn you if you chrono it move the chrono out and place a shield in front of display that wad will hit it hard I cracked the screen on mine with a cloth patch form a 40 cal. muzzle loader.
Even if the display is separate you want to protect the unit from wad.

idahoron
10-18-2010, 10:41 PM
My load is 80 gr of pyrodex P with a paper patched 460 gr bullet and a felt wad. I am getting 1310 fps. I am thinking that 1500 might not be too far off for your load. Ron