PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best Furnace and Sizer

bullsky1
09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
New to casting, I've used the Lee molds and pot with my dad this summer and realize Casting was a great source of inexpensive boolits. With all the experienced members of this site, I need good quality advice.

What is the best Lead Bottom Drop Furnace or Pot?

Best Sizer?

Thank you.

Bob J
09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
I have 3 lee 4-20 pots and they do fine for me.... Probably not the best but very functional and the price is right...

I have a Star sizer that I love.... They are expensive but if you are doing any volume of sizing, well worth the money IMHO.....

lathesmith
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't know that I'd call the Lee "drip-o-matic" 20lb bottom-pour furnace "the best", but it certainly is cost-effective, and it keeps up with my 6-cavity molds pretty well. Like Bob, I definitely love the Star sizer, but some folks might say I'm a little biased...!

lathesmith

Artful
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Best for what?
Price for performance ratio - would have to be Lee - pot and push thru die - least expensive but does the job .

Best construction RCBS Pot and the price shows it

Star sizer for thru put and again the price shows it

I'd look for a used Lyman or RCBS lubesizer - if I didn't want to spend the money or need the production of the STAR - and I've used my friends lee pot and think I could live with that or look for a used pot of larger size - 20 lb minimum if you plan on buying any more than two cavity molds.

finishman2000
09-30-2010, 04:39 PM
any pot but the lee. i use an old seaco for odd stuff and now cast with a magma mastercaster.

cbrick
09-30-2010, 06:17 PM
New to casting, I've used the Lee molds and pot with my dad this summer and realize Casting was a great source of inexpensive boolits. With all the experienced members of this site, I need good quality advice.

What is the best Lead Bottom Drop Furnace or Pot?

Best Sizer? Thank you.

Since the question is "What is the best" lead furnace and not what is the cheapest or what can I get by with I would have to say the Magma.

Since the question is "What is the best" lubrisizer and not what will do or get me by I would have to say the Star.

I don't know if bullsky1 is looking to buy new or used or if he is looking to get by on the cheap, he didn't say. He only asked what is the best of these two tools.

Rick

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2010, 05:45 AM
rcbs and lyman both make good pots. A slight edge goes to rcbs and there no bs warantee is hands down better then lymans and use your pot enough and somethings going to eventually burn out or break. Magmas are better yet but i would have to guess then when it breaks your going to pay for parts and there much more expensive.

500bfrman
10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
the pot I like the best = http://www.magmaengineering.com/products/cast-master

the sizer I am partial to http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Mark%20VI%20graphic.htm

bobthenailer
10-03-2010, 05:13 PM
best pot ! rcbs or magnma ,
best sizer star/magnma