PDA

View Full Version : hard cover cabelas catalog vs lead bullets

357reloading
09-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Cabelas sends out huge hard bound catalogs from time to time. Used one today dry and shot with the following. about 3 inches thick. Sorry forgot to measure.

grains Pentration bullet expansion

32 ACP FMJ 71 1 " dented nose
380 acp fmj 100 2" " "
380 cast round 105 2" major expansion 40 s&w or 45 ca;

cast 124 graing 9 mm, 158 grain 38 special 357 all full prentration . could not find bullet out back of book major holes

actually was impressed with damage the 380 cast bullet made. 32 acp . not impressed at all. The other caliblers . would accept any time for main carry or back up major exit hole

lwknight
09-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Good post. I never tested anything smaller than a 9mm myself.
I buried a bunch of phonebooks and thought later that I should have saved some for shooting.

I know a guy that wears a 380 bullet in his shoulder.
He said that it hurt at first but did not stop him from killing the other guy.

Since I'm not a one shot wonder , I would hate to depend on a .380 to stop someone trying to kill me.

Ole
09-30-2010, 12:24 AM
That's a mighty fine use for that book. :drinks:

ghh3rd
09-30-2010, 12:26 AM
I get those huge books from them too, and seems like a catalog every season, and some in between those. My friend at work has a pile of them from me.

Bret4207
09-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Must be you have to order from them a lot more than I do to get one.

square butte
09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Must be you got a new one to replace the old one that you were shooting.

357reloading
09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
agree the 32 and 380 are for back up only . not for main carry . swear some think 32 will put down charging buffulo at ten paces. . about same feelings fot the 380. ruger lcp , and a few others seem to be the hot item.

Ole
09-30-2010, 06:53 PM
agree the 32 and 380 are for back up only . not for main carry . swear some think 32 will put down charging buffulo at ten paces. . about same feelings fot the 380. ruger lcp , and a few others seem to be the hot item.

That's because some people don't feel like strapping on a gun some days and with an LCP there really aren't any valid excuses not to carry. Just stick it in your pocket and get on with your day.

357reloading
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
My Sp101 357 2 1/4 barrel is my favoriate. for front pocket carry. I dont wear jeans any longer, alway some kind of slacks, or baggy shorts. Getting to be an old coot. I wear suspenders, keeps my pants from falling off. Think it weighs in at 28 oz loaded. But dont really notice,

Wish i could put my glock 29 in my pocket, just feels to big, use a waist band. Some day, if find a Taurus snub nose in a six or seven shot that has decent lock up and trigger will buy.

SpaceGlocker
12-17-2010, 07:01 PM
can I get a pick of the warne rings plz
poolpedler@cfl.rr.com

HammerMTB
12-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I was in a conversation with a fella the other day, telling him I got hold of this 1903 Colt auto in 32 Auto. I said I didn't figger it for much against a BG, but it might be OK as a noisemaker. He wasn't very happy with that as he carried a 32 Auto all the time. Said it was enough for BG targets. I told him I'd seen enough terminal ballistics not to trust my life to a 32.
But I thought I'd take the little 32 out and try a few shots from it, maybe it'd change my mind.
I found a vertically split 5 gallon plastic bucket at the shooting pit. Shot it a bunch with the 32. If the bucket was hit straight on, it'd poke a little-bitty hole thru, smaller than 32 caliber, as the plastic would fold open and back after the shot. If ya hit the bucket off to the side, the 71 grain solid would deflect off and just barely dent the plastic.
Next time I try, I'm gonna get 3-4 layers of old clothes. I'm none to sure the little thing will penetrate that.
I'm stickin' to my 44's and 45's and the 10MM auto.
1" of penetration in a dry book ain't very much. No wonder all the stories of folk who had a bullet stop on/in a book in their pocket, or a wallet over their heart.
When it comes to bringing a knife to a gunfight, a 32 auto is the knife in disguise.

tackstrp
12-18-2010, 01:11 AM
When it comes to bringing a knife to a gunfight, a 32 auto is the knife in disguise.

I read in a James Bond Thriller that getting hit with a 32 ACP was like getting hit with a brick. So maybe a knife and a brick would be a good carry combo. :)

Volowner
12-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Here I've been giving my hard bound books to smarter folks who don't spend half a small fortune at Cabelas... It pains me to think of the lost research opportunities!

I always keep at least an LCP on me. I prefer bigger, but that thing weighs in at like 12 oz loaded--hard to leave home without it.

Bret4207
12-19-2010, 08:09 AM
I love these posts. For every time there's a 32 bullet stopped by a wallet or cell phone there's a 357 or 44 or 45 used to shoot a guy full of holes and the BG goes on to walk into the hospital after doing more harm. A 25/32/380/9mm/38/357/40/44/45/50 is always a poor performer compared to a 12 ga slug in the kisser. Nothing is perfect, 99% of us will never, ever draw a gun in anger and yet we go on and on and on and on about how a 437 Whizzbangmagnumtaciticaleliterazorbullet is the ONLY answer to our perceived need, which is.......what exactly? To have something that gives us a sense of security in the event something bad happens. I've looked down the barrel of a 22 and 44 and in both cases my pucker factor was about red lined. I've never yet met anyone that actually looked down the barrel of a 32 and with steely nerves laughed in the face of danger.

So, do as you wish, be happy and go forth and sin no more.

Actually, this would be a wonderful chance for Brother Ayoob to pose the theory that handloads are okay in 32's and 380's since they won't even leave a good sized welt in the first place........

HammerMTB
12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I love these posts. For every time there's a 32 bullet stopped by a wallet or cell phone there's a 357 or 44 or 45 used to shoot a guy full of holes and the BG goes on to walk into the hospital after doing more harm. A 25/32/380/9mm/38/357/40/44/45/50 is always a poor performer compared to a 12 ga slug in the kisser. Nothing is perfect, 99% of us will never, ever draw a gun in anger and yet we go on and on and on and on about how a 437 Whizzbangmagnumtaciticaleliterazorbullet is the ONLY answer to our perceived need, which is.......what exactly? To have something that gives us a sense of security in the event something bad happens. I've looked down the barrel of a 22 and 44 and in both cases my pucker factor was about red lined. I've never yet met anyone that actually looked down the barrel of a 32 and with steely nerves laughed in the face of danger.

Actually, this would be a wonderful chance for Brother Ayoob to pose the theory that handloads are okay in 32's and 380's since they won't even leave a good sized welt in the first place........

Uh-oh! Looks like I disturbed the mindset of a .32 Auto lover! The above is what invariably happens when/if I rain on that parade....
Sorry if I got yer panties all in a bunch, Bret. I concluded with the other fella, and will with you, with your own words

In the other fella's case, he is a young buck, and hasn't seen enough life in the terminal lane, so I thought I'd warn him. I had figured you for more experienced than that.

As far as the 99%, I'd be in the other 1%
And I think it's only in the movies that folk look at the business end of a gun, regardless of caliber, and laugh it off.
As one who's been at the business end of the steel, been shot, shot at, and had to draw, it appears you agree it's not a laughing matter. However, someone who comes around with a .32 will find themselves at a significant disadvantage in my presence.
If or when the occasion ever arises, ya only got a couple choices- you can fight or you can run(flight) How you choose is entirely up to you.

Amen ta dat!

1Shirt
12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Have never stared down the bbl of anything held by one hand, but did stare down the bbl of an 870 Rem 12 ga. at about 6" for about 14 min, and will agree with Bret on that subject. As far as penitration, and what does what ballistic wise, am always reminded of the shot in "Dances With Wolfs". In case you don't remember that, it was Kevin Cosners Texas heart shot on a bull buffalo, charging down on a young indian, and he did it with a
44-40 on horseback, and put that buff down right on it's nose before it got the kid. Also noticed that nobody mentioned the 25ACP on this thread, which pretty much speaks for itself I think. I honestly think that if it came to having to shot in defense and the choice was between 22LR, 25 ACP, and 32, I would prefer the 22LR with Stinger ammo in an auto. However, if I had my druthers in a defense posture, would by choice have a 357 with Kieth type blts.
1Shirt!:coffee:

dakotashooter2
12-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Every time I think about someone using a 32 for self defense I think about the old BB gun quote..."you'll shoot your eye out kid".........

dverna
12-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I have a Seecamp in .32 but never tested it. Good info on how "effective" it isn't.

My "light" carry gun is a Kahr 9mm. It weighs about a pound. Very thin and easy to conceal/carry.

I really feel better with the 45 ACP XD but it is bulkier. Size may not matter but it cannot hurt. Even if the bullet does not expand, there is a .45 hole.

Don

cajun shooter
12-20-2010, 12:11 PM
When I worked in Narcotics Division we were issued a Bauer 25 auto to put in our front pockets. We wore cut off jeans and t-shirts in the summer while working UC. A fellow officer who worked in Detectives laughed one day when he saw my 25. He was having a good time with me until I told him that if I stick this in your ear and pull the trigger 7 times you won't be laughing so loud. He quit laughing and left the room. I have seen more than one zipped up from little 25's. It all comes down to bullet placement. Take that 32 and put 6 rounds in between the eyes and see if that BG can then hurt you.

SpaceGlocker
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
how much cash....how about a lyman temp guage?

FLDad
01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Always too heavy if you have to carry it, always too light if you have to use it. It's a balance everyone has to figure out, but for me the goal is to have something that ends the matter with one shot and is light enough for everyday carry. If I have to fire six shots to stop an attack, I'm in a world of hurt.

NHlever
01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I have been on both ends of handguns, and rifles, and luckily have survived those incidents. When bullets were in the air, I didn't ever question what caliber they were. :D I have a friend that survived a .22LR to the head at close range, but I also have seen guys go into tunnels with supressed Ruger .22 autos and emerge very much alive. In more than one case I know that everyone they met underground didn't. After successfully making it to some good cover while being shot at by a sniper, I do remember thinking that I was glad he / she probably had a Mosin Nagant with a poor scope if any, and not the M-40's we were just starting to use. Still, I haven't thought seriously about carrying something too much smaller than a 9mm for personal protection. We had a spell of animals with rabies around here a number of years ago, and running into that situation on my walks was more of a concern than two legged threats.

HighHook
01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Every time I think about someone using a 32 for self defense I think about the old BB gun quote..."you'll shoot your eye out kid".........

:lol: Just said that phrase to a kid the other day at the range. Funny

Granger books work great!