PDA

View Full Version : Zinc driving band

megafatcat
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I have bought some cast boolits from an estate. Some have a zinc band around the lube groove area. Seems like a simple. great idea but I have never seen it before. How do I get some, How would I apply them and how effective are they?
Thanks.

x101airborne
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Seems to my memory that one of the Petersen's Publishing mags had an article on that some years ago. A zinc washer like a donut was placed in the bottom of the mold, then the nose pour mold was filled with lead. The bullet came out with basically a gs check molded to the base. I would imagine this is similar to what you are talking about, but cannot be sure without seeing them. Do you have a pic?

noylj
09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
National Bullet Company made them, while they were in business.
Found they were very ugly (looked like poor casting), yet they shot very well out to 25 yards in 9mm. Had a lot of "leading" or "zincing" in the barrel, but it didn't affect the accuracy.
I just think about zinc contamination when someone recycles the lead.

HORNET
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
It sounds like some of the old Harvey Prot-X Bore boolits. Lakeville Arms sold the special molds and the zinc washers that were cast in-place. I don't think they've been made for 30 years. The molds and washers have hit collector status. Reports were that they worked but were not fast and easy to cast. Some of the molds show up once in a while, the zinc washers are much more scarce. I suppose you could get a die made to cut new washers out of zinc sheet but it wouldn't be cheap.

megafatcat
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/StrzGypsy/100_3726.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/StrzGypsy/100_3725.jpg

.357 142gr HP

.308 200gr

HORNET
09-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Yep, the .357 looks like the Prot-X Bore designs that I've seen. I hadn't seen the .308 version before. They were used unlubed and the zinc washer was supposed to scrape out any leading that formed. If the washer was too small, it didn't work correctly to remove the lead and if it was too large, it drove pressures way up. With mil-surp .30 barrels running from .307 to .317 in groove diameter, that .308 could have been real iffy. Forum member Floodgate is/was real fond of collecting the molds and could provide much more info on them.

Papa smurf
09-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I casted and shot thousands in my Smith Mod.28 in the 1960's. Cast of pure lead you didnt need a hollow point. The didnt lead my Smith but I was one of the few. My shooting buddies didnt like them they were very slow to cast but you didnt size or lube. Thanks for the memories--------Good Shooting----Papa Smurf

seppos
09-30-2010, 05:40 AM
I wonder would a proper size copper or brass rivet work..?
One could put it to the bottom of nose pour mould and pour the lead in top of it..

S

buck1
10-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Or just gascheck.

Trifocals
10-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Within this last year, I purchased zinc washers from HAWK BULLETS, in various handgun calibers. I have used them with the Harvey Protex bore molds. Hawk Bullets was also selling swaging dies that allowed swaging bullets with the zinc washer attached to the bullet base. I have these swaging dies but as yet have not used them. Corbin also sells swaging dies and their version of a base protector washer. :lol:

mdi
10-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I have some .44 cal boolits that are designed for a zinc washer, somewhere. Maybe Lyman 429518? The base of the boolit has a "pin" ot "tit" that is used to river the washer to the base. I'll have to look for those....

NSP64
10-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I got some brass washers at the local Ace and cast them in some .308 boolits then sized them worked ok just a PIA to do. Have to hold the washer with tweezers then place in a hot mold.

Elkins45
10-02-2010, 07:50 AM
I got some brass washers at the local Ace and cast them in some .308 boolits then sized them worked ok just a PIA to do. Have to hold the washer with tweezers then place in a hot mold.

I'll bet that gets expensive unless you can buy them in bulk.

mdi
10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Interesting. Have you shot them yet? Let us know...