PDA

View Full Version : Heads up guys!

Glen
09-26-2010, 02:20 PM
I ran out of lube in one of my lube-sizers, so I went to melt some more home-made moly lube to pour in. Like I have done many times before, I took my Pyrex measuring cup with moly-lube in it and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes to warm it up while I took the brass out of the tumbler (it usually takes 4-5 minutes to melt the lube, but I like to warm things up slowly to avoid "hotspots"). Before the lube even got much of a chance to even start to melt, the Pyrex measuring cup literally exploded into hundreds of little pea-sized pieces. I have no idea why. Pyrex shouldn't do this, but the bottom-line is it did. I will be switching over to a small crock pot for making and melting my lube from here on out.

mpmarty
09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Pyrex used to be a Corning product but in recent years they (Corning) sold the name to a Chinese company that now sells "Pyrex" brand glassware through Wal-Mart here in the US the new Chinese stuff is **** as is nearly everything from the PRC.

Blammer
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
sounds like someone could start making the 'old pyrex formula' under a diff name and steal market share.

MT Gianni
09-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I have been keeping mine in a heavy plastic cover that beef or chicken bullion base came in from Costco. It melts easily in a microwave and has a good seal on the top.

Linstrum
09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
The wonderful old original 1930s Pyrex borosilicate glass was discontinued almost 40 years ago. In about 1972 I noticed all of a sudden that PYREX cookware, measuring cups, etc, were marked "NOT FOR OVEN OR STOVE TOP USE". I have some old PYREX measuring cups I got from when my grandma died that I can boil water in on a gas flame, but you don't dare do that with that new $#!+ that replaced real PYREX.

Keep your eyes open at thrift stores/Salvation Army/Goodwill for laboratory glassware marked KYMAX. Kymax is one of the truly heat and flame-proof glass formulations that replaced original Pyrex borosilicate glass that coffee pots and oven roasting trays used to be made from, but if you want to buy new Kymax lab ware be prepared for sticker shock at what Kymax retails for - a coffee cup size beaker is around $30. My chemistry lab glassware is almost all Kymax, but I do have some 60 year old beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks that are marked "Pyrex" that I inherited from my father's chem lab 25 years ago when he retired. That 60 year old stuff is the original formulation and is totally heat proof.

rl847

jameslovesjammie
09-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I was trying to melt Carnuba Red to pour into my Star and mine also kaboomed. I have since bought a heater.

RP
09-26-2010, 04:07 PM
well its like the coffee pots you can melt wax in them but you got to do it slow if not crack not the best thing but they sure are handy to pour out of.

Dale53
09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Glen;
Thanks for the heads up. I am not a great fan of melting bullet lube in the microwave.

My preference is to use a double boiler (mine is simply a sauce pan full of water with a large (OLD MODEL) Pyrex large capacity pitcher/cup sitting in the water). It assures me of no hotspots and I KNOW that no where in the pot will I be exceeding the boiling point of water.

FWIW
Dale53

Johnch
09-26-2010, 04:50 PM
This may explain a lot

As I lost 2 pyrex brand 13x9x2 baking pans recently when I put frozen food in the dish's in the microwave to thaw

Both were replacments for older ones that I had droped

I just looked at Walmart's web site and they claim pyrex brand baking dishs are still made in the USA
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA
Origin of Components: USA
Wal-Mart No.: 001499241

John

qajaq59
09-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I use the melt it in boiling water as well. It may take longer, but the mircowave spooks me when I'm melting waxes.

home in oz
09-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I blew up a bowl a while back.

SWMBO was not amused.

Pretty even coating of food and glass over all the inside of the micro wave.

NuJudge
09-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I've been using a coffee mug to melt 50/50 in the microwave, and have not had a problem.

SWMBO would not be pleased if I blew bullet lubricant all over inside her microwave, so I think I am going to stop.

CDD

qajaq59
09-26-2010, 05:24 PM
It could get pretty dangerous if it blew just as you opened the door.

geargnasher
09-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Wow, I'll stop immediately, Thanks Glen.

I've been using two different Pyrex brand measuring cups, one fairly new and one about 12 years old, both purchased at Wal-Mart (I'm certain). I thought the newer one looked kinda cheesy, and the measuring lines aren't quite accurate.

Someone here keeps recommending the candle warmer trick, just put the container on there a couple of hours in advance, I've tried it and it works fine, looks like I need to be doing that exclusively now.

Gear

XWrench3
09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
it takes me a while to do, but i melt my home made lube in a small stainlss steel cup over the top of a candle (of all things) with a skirt around the bottom of the cup. the flame is about 2 " away from the bottom of the pan. i am sitting at the loading bench doing other jobs (obviously not powder chores) and as soon as it starts to melt, i keep stirring it. works for me, and i keep all of this stuff out of the kitchen, which keeps the missus happy.

GabbyM
09-26-2010, 07:46 PM
I've been using recycled jars. Like spaghetti sauce jars. No issues yet. Plus they are free for the washing.

The Double D
09-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Never had a problem with my double boiler.

Bret4207
09-27-2010, 06:46 AM
The wonderful old original 1930s Pyrex borosilicate glass was discontinued almost 40 years ago. In about 1972 I noticed all of a sudden that PYREX cookware, measuring cups, etc, were marked "NOT FOR OVEN OR STOVE TOP USE". I have some old PYREX measuring cups I got from when my grandma died that I can boil water in on a gas flame, but you don't dare do that with that new $#!+ that replaced real PYREX.

Keep your eyes open at thrift stores/Salvation Army/Goodwill for laboratory glassware marked KYMAX. Kymax is one of the truly heat and flame-proof glass formulations that replaced original Pyrex borosilicate glass that coffee pots and oven roasting trays used to be made from, but if you want to buy new Kymax lab ware be prepared for sticker shock at what Kymax retails for - a coffee cup size beaker is around $30. My chemistry lab glassware is almost all Kymax, but I do have some 60 year old beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks that are marked "Pyrex" that I inherited from my father's chem lab 25 years ago when he retired. That 60 year old stuff is the original formulation and is totally heat proof.
rl847

Amazing the way we "make things better" isn't it? Totally OT but I find the same thing with tools. I have several pitch forks. I have one hay for that's a wonder of lightness, perfect temper and proper tine length. It hung in our garage for at least 25 years and my Dad said it was there when he bought the place in '61. So probably it dates from the last time cows or horses were kept in the "garage", a converted barn. So it dates from WW2. I've never seen but one to come close and that a NOS fork the local Agway dealer gave me last year. It had been in the corner of that store since the early to mid 60's and never sold because of the short handle, which was just what I was looking for so my kids could use it. Original price- $1.25.

Progress is regressive sometimes.

Recluse
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Glad I live in Texas where I don't have to heat up my lube too often.

I've just never been able to warm up (ha ha--pun, get it?) to heating my lube and then pouring it in my lubesizer. I tried it once and when I went to pour the molten lube into the sizer, I didn't exactly aim it right and it ran down the side of the lubesizer, off the reloading bench top and down on my right cowboy boot, which to this day has a big splotchy reddish stain to it.

I just make lube sticks, then put them in the lubesizer as needed. Depending on which lube I'm using, I'll rig up my homemade heater for the lube to flow.

Safer on my cowboy boots that way. [smilie=1:

:coffee:

Rocky Raab
09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm that candle warmer guy. The things are DESIGNED to melt wax slowly and safely. What more can you ask? I use one for my 45/45/10 tumble lube mixing.

Moonie
09-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Over the weekend I saw an episode of "How it's made" and it was on Pyrex. The plant did appear to be in the US. I didn't see any chinese workers...

Wasn't paying too much attention to it but everyone looked normal for a US factory.

Bwana
09-27-2010, 12:30 PM
For as long as I have been casting, 30 years, I have mixed up my lube batches in a one quart sauce pan and then poured the lube into several of the small Campbell's soup cans. I fill them up about two thirds of the way. The lip is pinched to form a pouring spout and it is handled with a pair of longnosed pliers. I do put a piece of form fitting posterboard around the lubrisizer base in case of a drip. The small can is heated by setting it on the stove burner (electric) on med and stirring while melting. I do hold a piece of papertowel under the can while moving it across the carpet from kitchen to loading room. I don't want to think about the wife's reaction should I ever have a spill; so, I just make sure I don't.

redbeard55
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
If your using a microwave, its best to use some sort of plastic. I supported a laboratory microwave for years and never heard of exploding Pyrex. But then again for use in the laboratory, all the glassware is actually plastic. You could also use standard coffee mugs. These seem to hold up well. If you have problems with coffee mugs exploding, you might consider a water load in the rear of the microwave. This extra water load will absorb the excess microwaves bouncing around inside the microwave. At work we had a procedure where we melted the paraffin off glass slides. The water was needed to keep the tissues from catching on fire.