PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet for the 300 WSM

catkiller45
09-16-2006, 05:11 AM
aM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON A GOOD CAST BULLET TO USE IN MY 300 WSM..
I FIGURE I MIGHT AS WELL BE SHOOTING THIS RIFLE AS WELL AS OTHERS..AND ALSO,WHERE TO FIND LOADING INFORMATION AS WELL...THANKS JOHNNY

Buckshot
09-17-2006, 10:31 AM
..............I know zip about that cartridge other then I'll bet it's a 30 cal :-). Depending upon it's throat and leade, or rather maybe depending upon how much room you have in the magazine might help in determining which 30 cal mould you should start with. There are a bunch of really good 30 cal moulds available out there.

There is one that kind of stands out as a benchmark and that's the Lyman 311291. Usually you won't go wrong with it. It's a middle weight. Actually most any 30 cal mould will suit for normal ranges of from 50 to 100 yards. What you intend for it to accomplish may have more meaning then anything else.

If the ranges mentioned are it, then just pick a middle weight design and commense shooting. If you're talking hunting, or you want to hit stuff way over there, then the best designs thin out a bit.

If I had that cartridge I'd try 2 things. I'd use some of the fast pistol-shotgun powders or I'd try some moderately reduced loads with really slow powders and a filler.

Fill one of those empty cases up with water and weigh it. Then we'd have an idea of it's capacity.

................Buckshot