PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Shooting Rampage

Gun-adian
09-16-2006, 01:18 AM
The Canadian Gun Control Debate has started up again thanks to this nutjob!!!

For those of you who don't know, on Wednesday September 13 2006, a young twenty-something year old male went on a shooting spree at Dawson College in Montreal. 20 people were shot, one of which has since died, before the gunman, already wounded by police, shot and killed himself.

We've always said that the gun registry is useless because crooks don't register guns. Now we find out that all the firearms this loon had on him that day were legally registered to him!!!

My thought going through my head when this happened, aside from concern for the victims, was "please don't let these guns be registered to this idiot". Well, they legally belonged to him.

I can see the headlines now from the liberal press.

"Are gun owners a ticking time-bomb?"

"Are we screening potential gun owners well enough?"

"Can gun owners be trusted?"

The families of the victims are already being exploited by the liberal media for their gun control stories. We've seen and heard statements about "tightening up our gun laws" from distraught family members. An uncle of the young lady who died, referring to the rifle the shooter used, as an "army gun" that only the army should have, has stirred things up pretty good.

The rifle used was a Beretta Storm. Not exactly a frontline combat weapon.

This rifle, up here, is classified as a restricted weapon, because of its factory barrel length. This is the same classification as a handgun, meaning it can only be legally used at an approved shooting range.

The shooter had other weapons on him as well, but not too much has been said about what they were.

Our politicians were going to debate the uselessness of our gun registry this fall when the House of Commons goes back into session. All of us Canadian gun owners were hoping that this would finally put this bottomless money pit out of our collective misery.

In light of this tragic "recent development" it will be a very heated debate indeed. The three opposition parties have already stated they will not support scapping the registry. Now this shooting will give them one more reason to dig in, all in the name of keeping Canadians safe.

I've been saying this to anyone who'll listen:

"One person (teacher?) with a CCW (we call them Authorizations to Carry) could have really changed the outcome of this."

We do have them but they are next to impossible to get. The people that do the authorizing will flat-out deny every application, except in very certain circumstances. Trappers and prospectors can get them but the firearm can't be concealed and can only be carried in the field.

BTW...I have a Utah CCW so I can carry in the states that recognize it (I think there's 30 states now). Funny how a foreign government trusts me with a firearm but the country of my birth doesn't.

Interesting times ahead.

Sorry for the long post.

Rant mode off...

Mike

Bret4207
09-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Listened to the unfolding event on 940 AM out of Montreal. What a fiasco. The Liberals and NDP will have a ball with this. Too bad for the section of the Candian population that doesn't live in Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal- the rural folks. They'll probably come up with a law that says no one can own a gun at all- except the French!

StarMetal
09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
I believe you can blame this on the news media. After all the Columbine incident was on the news big time and also there was a movie about it. What I'm getting at is this "nut" was a big followers of a Columbine website, and not one to have pity for what happen, but one that is evil and exploits Columbine tactics, which this guy followed right down to the part of committing suicide. Put these traject events on the news and you're 100 percent positive to have nuts try the same thing. This was just recently proved out by this guy in Canada and before this look at how many airplane incident there was immediately after the British foiled that plot to blow up planes over the Atlantic. I'm convinced that getting shutting the news media's mouth about such happening would stop alot of this. Keep it off the internet also. But this will never happen because there apparently is a hidden 11th Commandment: Thy news media has the right to present ALL news to the masses.

Joe

gutshot_again
09-16-2006, 12:48 PM
At least keep the nut cases name out of print. If they don't get thier 15 minutes of fame perhaps we won't get the copy cats.

9.3X62AL
09-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Good point, Gutshot.

Freedom and liberty are scary things to some folks that are charged with governing or ordering society. The knee-jerk response of the sheep and the shepherds that drive them is further prohibitions, when in fact the REAL answer is MORE FREEDOM. Freedom involves risk--no way around that--but denying freedom is a double penalty, in that you not only usurp liberty but also adulterate overall safety.

Example--right to carry is the law of the land in the USA in a majority of states in some form or fashion. In right-to-carry states, carjackings disappear like morning mist at sunrise. If there was a reasonable belief on the part of perpetrators of debacles like Montreal, Stockton, Columbine, and--dare I say it--9/11--that an armed person or persons might just take exception to their acts of savagery and back that judgement with some well-placed controlled expansion projectiles--maybe such events wouldn't occur, or would be intervened with and a far more positive outcome would result.

Heinlein had it right--an armed society is a polite society.

nelson133
09-16-2006, 01:04 PM
+10 to Deputy Al

Junior1942
09-16-2006, 02:40 PM
It's a shame the guy committed suicide and died so fast. He should have known the pain of a bullet in his guts for at least an hour. . . .

Bret4207
09-16-2006, 05:50 PM
According to 940 AM and 580 AM CFRA out of Ottawa this bird was one of theose "Goth" types and frequented a site called www.vampirefreak.com or something like that. Apparently the same site spawned the murder of 3 people out in western Canada last year by a 13 year old girl and her 24 yoa boy friend.

I'm all for freedom of speech and expression and an open dialogue between people, but there seems to be a point where "someone" should be notified and at least take a look at this stuff. Who, under what circumstances, by what authority I don't know. I imagine as the world unfolds the day will come when some computer somewhere will key in on specifc phrases and alert someone at some gov't agency. Whether thats good or bad remains to be seen.

For those who've not been exposed to the Canadian news media- they make our "liberal press" look like pikers. Part of it comes from being socilaists (Canada is a different country you know, not the 51st state) and part from an overall editorial policy through out Canada that makes guys like Chris Matthews look like ultra conservatives. It takes some getting used to. Regardless, the media will overwhelmingly call for Steven Harpers resignation and a total outlawing of all weapons. Except for the French speakers of course.

StarMetal
09-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Allen,

Unfortunately this country is never going to go back to any of the better way it once had. I really can't see how it's gotten to some of the rotten ways that it has, nor what to do about them, when what to do about them involves alot of people that will fight you every inch of the way.

You want to see a sickening website that I think should be taken off the internet (and believe me if I had a child killed at columbine it would be, at my own hand if I had too) this is it http://www.columbinegame.com/

Joe