PDA

View Full Version : I feel stupid and frustrated tonight, over a shell holder!

ghh3rd
09-25-2010, 11:48 PM
I should know by now! I ordered a set of Hornady 45-70 dies to load up some boolits for my new (unfired) 45-70 Marlin 1895 to shoot tomorrow. THe next time that I can shoot is next weekend.

I have everything else that I need, just not the #14 shell holder! [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

captaint
09-25-2010, 11:56 PM
ghh - I did the same thing when I went to load some 45 Auto Rim. Try to find that shellholder locally!! Then I had to find one for the Lee Auto Prime. I bought them all on flea bay.... Mike

randyrat
09-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Make one out of another shell holder and some washers. It's not easy, but staying home looking at a NEW marlin and not being able to shoot is tougher.
Too difficult for me to explain with words and it is not very elegant looking but can be done. Mine was not pretty.
Do you have a couple files and/ or a small grinder, drill, small bits and some real small screws...You'll figure it out. Your real lucky if you have a welder
I couldn't just sit there and look at my new gun.

fryboy
09-26-2010, 12:07 AM
i wont rub it in but bet there' very few here can honestly say that they never had a "oh doh" moment , sometimes hindsight even shows those moments to of been prudent so for giggles i have a brand new 45/70 bbl , dies , brass , trimmer, sizing dies and no projectiles... but freely admit that i keep debating a mold ....prolly break down for the lyman H.P. but i seem to miss any in the swapping section lolz oh and i'm hoping the encore barrel doesnt thump as hard as the handi rifle i owned years ago did , happy shootin when u get here amigo !

XWrench3
09-26-2010, 09:40 AM
i would have gone to the store and bought some ammo to shoot. the plus to that is you would have had more cases to reload. no way i could have NOT shot a new rifle! the only way that i could ever have a "collectors gun" is if BOTH of my arms were broken! LOL!

onondaga
09-26-2010, 03:18 PM
ghh3rd: you probably don't want to hear it if you are set on Hornady, but the Lee 3 die set for 45-70 Gov. comes with the shell holder included, powder through expander die, sizing/deprime die and the seating die will taper or roll crimp. $24.99/ set from Midway. Lee also makes a set of shell holders that handles nearly all calibers with 11 shell holders that fit over 115 cartridges for $21.99 at midway.

qajaq59
09-26-2010, 05:03 PM
ghh3rd...If that's the only mistake you make this year, you'll have it made. :bigsmyl2:

home in oz
09-26-2010, 05:23 PM
We have all done this

ghh3rd
09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Promised my son in law range time today so I packed up some handguns...and the rifle, just in case. On the way i called a sporting store that opens on Sunday at 10am (Bill Jackson's), and it's on the way. They had 45-70 ammo. Got there, and they only had one type - Leverevolution 325gr. I didn't even ask the price because I wanted/needed it, and had sticker shock at the register - $34.95 for 20 rounds. But heck, I got about $10 worth of once fired brass in return, and it flew over 2000 fps

Nice kick, but not too bad. We each fired 10 rounds, and I'm sure that the decelerator pad helped a lot. I don't feel any residual soreness at all from this morning. Perhaps the 405 gr and 425 gr cast bullets that I'm casting will provide a bit more pain.

Oh yeah, they had a #14 shell holder too, so I can get ready for next weekend.

Yahoo!!! I finally shot my rifle.

Randy

jsizemore
09-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Co-ax press with the additional LS jaws got everything covered. Makes straight ammo too.

zuke
09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
When I first got into this about 25 year's ago one of my first purchase's was the LEE shellholder pack's.
One for the press and the other pack for the priming tool.
Best thing I've ever done!

bgokk
09-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Leverevolution 325gr. I didn't even ask the price because I wanted/needed it, and had sticker shock at the register - $34.95 for 20 rounds. But heck, I got about $10 worth of once fired brass in return, and it flew over 2000 fps

Randy

I have read here that the Leverevolution is loaded in shorter than normal length cases. You should use caution when loading the heavy boolits in those cases.

BG

Tazman1602
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I have read here that the Leverevolution is loaded in shorter than normal length cases. You should use caution when loading the heavy boolits in those cases.

BG

+1

True....................

ghh3rd
09-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow - I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. So they'll be 45-70 "shorts"?

cbrick
09-26-2010, 09:29 PM
I have everything else that I need, just not the #14 shell holder! [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I know exactly how you feel, been there done that, more than once. For some reason the shell holder just isn't what I think of when getting ready to load for a new gun.

Several years ago I fixed that problem. Every time I ordered something (anything) from Midway & others I included in the order a shell holder that I didn't have. Over time I accumulated every RCBS shell holder from #1 thru #44. Several of them I'll never use but if/when another caliber/wildcat etc comes up I probably have it covered and I won't go thru what you just did. Well, not again anyway.

1-44 isn't hardly every RCBS shell holder, check this out, they make a huge number of them.
RCBS Shell Holder's By Cartridge (http://www.lasc.us/RCBSShellHolders.htm)

Rick

HangFireW8
09-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Nice kick, but not too bad. We each fired 10 rounds, and I'm sure that the decelerator pad helped a lot. I don't feel any residual soreness at all from this morning. Perhaps the 405 gr and 425 gr cast bullets that I'm casting will provide a bit more pain.

Oh yeah, they had a #14 shell holder too, so I can get ready for next weekend.

Yahoo!!! I finally shot my rifle.

Light bullets? Pachmayr decelerator? You're doing 45/70 all wrong!

Your supposed to start out with 500 grainers and the thin factory pad. Then, after you recover, get the pad and the light bullets!:kidding:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=401&pictureid=2739
(This is actually my 444 stock...)
-HF

ghh3rd
09-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Nice looking wood on that stock.

I can tell you one thing - those shell holders are made of hard steel. I have many dremel tools, mostly grinding and cutting burrs and wheels from my fathers dental technician days, and I didn't make much of a dent in the #11 that I was desperately trying to open up last night. (guess I need to order another one before I need it)

While waiting for a group buy mold to come, I've cast some Lee 405gr HB. I'm just trying to figure out how much IMR 3031 I can push them with, without leading. I'll be busy loading before the weekend.

The mold I'm waiting for is a Ranch Dog clone, 425gr with lube grooves instead of tumble lube. It should drop at 425 gr. It's five cavaties, with two Gas Check, two Plain Base, and one HP Plain Base. I figured I'd cover all bases with one mold.

Can't wait to shoulder the rifle this weekend and feel that recoil again.

Randy in Arizona
09-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I bought and broke one of these years ago - great idea, lousy customer support!

http://www.quineticscorp.com/images/Shell_holder.jpg
Universal Shellholder (http://www.quineticscorp.com/Shell_holder.asp)

AaronJ
09-26-2010, 11:29 PM
had a similar thing once when i found out lee makes a shell holder for the had held primer that fits 300 ultra mag but the 300 ultra mag does not fit into the hand held prime tool. 10 min with a grinding stone and i was back in buisness.

Hang Fire
09-27-2010, 02:14 AM
I should know by now! I ordered a set of Hornady 45-70 dies to load up some boolits for my new (unfired) 45-70 Marlin 1895 to shoot tomorrow. THe next time that I can shoot is next weekend.

Do you have a MN shell holder? Mine also works for 45-70.

Mk42gunner
09-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Nice looking wood on that stock.

I can tell you one thing - those shell holders are made of hard steel. I have many dremel tools, mostly grinding and cutting burrs and wheels from my fathers dental technician days, and I didn't make much of a dent in the #11 that I was desperately trying to open up last night. (guess I need to order another one before I need it)

While waiting for a group buy mold to come, I've cast some Lee 405gr HB. I'm just trying to figure out how much IMR 3031 I can push them with, without leading. I'll be busy loading before the weekend.

The mold I'm waiting for is a Ranch Dog clone, 425gr with lube grooves instead of tumble lube. It should drop at 425 gr. It's five cavaties, with two Gas Check, two Plain Base, and one HP Plain Base. I figured I'd cover all bases with one mold.

Can't wait to shoulder the rifle this weekend and feel that recoil again.

I don't have any experience with HB boolits (other than 58 cal Minies), but you can put enough 3031 in a .45-70 that there is absolutely no doubt that the primer functioned correctly. You can also load trapdoor level loads with it.

Robert

Wayne Smith
09-27-2010, 07:50 AM
I bought and broke one of these years ago - great idea, lousy customer support!

http://www.quineticscorp.com/images/Shell_holder.jpg
Universal Shellholder (http://www.quineticscorp.com/Shell_holder.asp)

How does it attach to your press?