PDA

View Full Version : 30/30 help

D Crockett
09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
could someone please give me the COL using a 150gr GC bullet and some load info using uniue and IMR4895 powders please pm me with this info I forget where I wright things sometimes THANK YOU D Crockett

geargnasher
09-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Nope.

I don't understand how you think any of us can help you with that little bit of information.

Gear.

D Crockett
09-24-2010, 02:35 PM
ok I am new at reloading of riffle bullets what other info do you need to help me D Crockett

geargnasher
09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
D. Crockett, I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm going to defer you to any good reloading manual and the Lyman cast bullet handbook #3. Read the HOW TO section on rifle reloading in both manuals. If you don't know how to check safe cartridge overall length in a rifle chamber or determine safe starting loads with a given powder and cast boolits you need to get up to speed on the basics, and the books I mentioned will get you there.

BTW, the kind of info needed to help is boolit mould #/brand, nose size, band size, chamber/throat/leade dimensions, type of gun, brass brand, trim length, etc. Nobody can make any safe recommendations without knowing these things. In reality, you are the only one who can determine correct seating depth amount of crimp, and safe powder charge because you have the gun in hand, not us!

Gear

woody1
09-24-2010, 03:03 PM
For COL one needs to know what boolit howsomever, most 30-30 boolits have a crimp groove which dictates the COL. The rest of it is pretty easy if you can tell us what you're trying to achieve for velocity. Unique is pretty much a low velocity deal with 150 grain boolits. Try 7.5 to 10 grains of Unique for velocities of around 1300-1600 fps. With 4895 you should be able to hit 2000 fps if the accuracy is there. Try about 26 grains of 4895 and go up a couple from there if the accuracy is there. All this assumes you have correct boolit fit. Regards, Woody

posted while geargnasher was posting his last

redbeard55
09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
If you are using Unique and going for low velocity loads, you might wish to check out http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm. Great site with a lot of data. At low velocity there is no need to use a gas check. Almost no recoil and relatively accurate.

qajaq59
09-24-2010, 05:27 PM
D Crockett, Gear gave you the best info when he suggested getting the Lyman Cast bullet Manual. If you can't buy one, head to your local library and see if they can get you a copy. Truthfully you really are going to need it. Otherwise you'll end up frustrated and give it all up in the end. You need a lot more information then anyone is likely to type out in a forum.

Char-Gar
09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
What the heck does COL mean?

jimb16
09-24-2010, 05:59 PM
cartridge overall length.......

XWrench3
09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
first, we need to know WHAT 150 grain bullet? what rifle, what alloy mix you are using, the bullet lube, and lastly, what kind of velocity are you trying to achieve? those are about the bare bones we need to be able to help you with your project. nobody here, wants to give you information that will either get you hurt, or have you end up scrubbing a lot of lead off the inside of your barrel.

randyrat
09-24-2010, 11:29 PM
David, here is some more load data
http://www.reloadammo.com/3030load.htm
You can use dataextropulationismtry to figure some loads with this data once you get more knowledgeable or comfortable reading data...

For now just use some of the fast pistol powder loads shown and get comfy with that then you can move up. Just don't double charge pistol powders, start with good loading habits....Unique is a good place to start with the 30-30 very fun shooting. Find the most accurate load for your gun. Enjoy

runfiverun
09-25-2010, 12:24 AM
the coal that glides through your levergun is best.
the longest you can get it to do so is better and one that stays put through recoil and doesn't stay in the bbl when you unchamber it is as good as it gets.
if it happens to like velocity and is accurate you are golden.
where in the velocity range all that happens only the target and your shoulder are gonna tell you that.
btw your 4895 load might do better with a filler.