PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this ? My sizer broke

gray wolf
09-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Well men I guess it happens to the best of us.
The large round thing that goes on the bottom of my 450 sizer, the part that you see if you take it off the bench and turn it over. The flange that keeps it from falling through broke off. I have seen that some folks weld it in place and call it good. I guess it wouldn't leek anymore after that Eh.
I need to call Lyman and get a new one, unless my friend can weld it up for me.
I don't know how he would hold it in place while he did it.
What the heck is that part called and are they very expensive ?
That's problem # 1 [smilie=b: :groner:

NOW FOR QUESTION #2

I have a can of the newer JPW--if I size the bullets in the broken 450
can I get a way with the JPW for 45ACP if I keep the Vel. down ?
Lets say 4 grains of B/E powder with a 200 grain WC bullet.
If the JPW would work at least I could shoot over the week end.
Jump in men I need some advise.

Sam

buck1
09-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I would think the JPW should be fine . I cant speak to the sizer as I dont have a lyman. But one things for sure, someone here will know the fix for it...Buck

gray wolf
09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
+1 Buck1

geargnasher
09-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Sam,

I think you are talking about the pressure screw. It can break through the base and pull up into the reservoir if you are using too much pressure (cold or excessively hard lube). Cast iron is a bear to weld up with any strength, and cost would be nearly as much as a new one. You can't weld the pressure screw to the base, as it needs to spin freely to advance the pressure piston.

I think you could just use a couple of "fender" washers (they are basically big flatwashers with small holes, I think 5/16" might be the right hole size for the screw) underneath the broken hole, run the screw through a couple of them and then up through the reservoir bottom and then hollow out whatever your sizer is bolted to so the washers can have room under the sizer base. If you don't want to damage what it's bolted to, bolt the sizer to a short piece of 2x6 pine and hollow out where the fender washers will stick out on the underside of the base and just clamp the 2x6 to a table. The lube piston and centering cap on the top of the reservoir will keep the screw and washers centered with the reservoir bore.

Just a thought.

And yes, straight JPW will work, but if you have some beeswax melt about 10% in with some jpw, without cooking off too much of the solvent and use it warm to tumble-lube. It will cool quickly and then you can size away in your 450 until you get it fixed.

Gear

billyb
09-24-2010, 01:18 AM
The round thing is called a seal plug Part# 2990546-the pressure screw is part#2990559, Or you can order both under part # 2745817. I have replaced one in my 450. You clean out the sizer and tap out the old plug with a short length or rod or a dowel. The plug has an o-ring on it part# 2990623. Ypu tap the new plug in place and stake it in place with a center punch. Not hard to do. lymanproducts. Hope this helps. Bill

gray wolf
09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Thank you for all the info. That gives me some options
and keeps me in the game.

Sam

45-70 Chevroner
09-24-2010, 10:18 AM
I called lyman about my 450, it was leaking from around the bottom they sent me a new seal plug. No charge. It solved my problem.

Recluse
09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Sam, can't add anything that's already been said about the Lyman sizer, but as far as using the JPW to lube, I can toss in on that.

If you have any liquid alox around, make yourself a blend ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654 ) and you can lube and shoot just about any handgun caliber you want to any velocity you want with no leading, no fouling and superb accuracy.

Straight JPW will work, but as Geargnasher mentioned, if you have any beeswax laying around, cook off some of the solvents in that JPW, then add just a dash of beeswax to the pot while everything is hot. Blend the two together, then use it as a tumble-lube and you'll be fine.

:coffee:

gray wolf
09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Ok I got enough bullets tumble lubed as per the above instructions--Thank you.
I called Lyman and ordered all the parts for the lube tube--top and bottom, along with the long threaded rod that goes up the middle, $22.00 with the shipping.
So it looks like the old 450 will keep on going for a while, Hoo Raa.
Thank you all again

Sam