PDA

View Full Version : Okay how about some feedback

BigBlack
09-23-2010, 08:52 AM
These were riding 125gr 777 loose. Here are a few bullets dug out of the dirt berm at 100 yards. The groupings of this load were about 1.5" at 100

Before
http://www.treeclimber.com/reloads/BP-02.jpg

After with a unshot bullet for reference, I also ultrasonic cleaned them to remove all the dirt and crud
http://www.treeclimber.com/reloads/BP-04.jpg
http://www.treeclimber.com/reloads/BP-05.jpg

uncle joe
09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
look like deer slayers to me, and must be a good alloy mix to stay together and mushroom like that.

BABore
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Hmmm! Those boolits look familiar.:grin:

Dirt impacts can be deceiving unless it's soft clay. Regular sand, loam, etc can be pretty hard on a boolit and show a bit more expansion than you would normally get in an animal. Even though you dontion mention the berms compostion, I'd say that they should work out fine for you.

One thing I did notice is the look of the boolit bases. I see several small sunk in spots where you likely have air pockets. I't's definetly not powder imbedding as they're in a sabot. Irregular air pockets, especially in the boolit's base, will definitely open groups up. Are you getting shots touching, then some shots that are out without a called flyer? I have found that you can eliminate most all of these air pockets by running the mold and sprue plate hotter. Not the alloy, just the mold. Cut the sprue early so you get a bit of a tear on the base. Waiting too long, for that textbook clean cut, can allow the sprue plate to run too cool. Pouring a real healthy sprue also helps alot.

Overall, things are looking good.

BigBlack
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
BABore, dirt berm is just field dirt which is not sand but not clay just a mixture of everything in between. Did not find any of those hollow point's in the berm but it was hot out there and did not want to waste to much time in the hot sun and get my attention to my shooting messed up.

They are really nice a couple of buddies of mine are going to try the flat nose ones out this weekend on game. I will not be able to go so they get the joy of administering this medicine.

Most of us like the flat nose better, the hollow point was a great idea I guess but we all lean back toward the flat nose.

bowenrd
09-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I am guessing the dents in the base of the boolit is the next round fired is compressing the dirt on top of the previously fired round. Of course unless he would dig out one round at a time. Lotta running back and forth.

BigBlack
09-23-2010, 10:40 AM
bowenrd,

was thinking the same thing

BigBlack
10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Okay update,

Gave some to a friend, He has claim first game with these. He shot a SE Georgia hog through the shoulder blade. The boolit then traveled through all internal organs and broke two ribs on opposing side. The boolit did not exit but the hog buckled and never took a step or even a lung. Fell straight down, I asked my buddy to bring me the boolit if he shot something but in the SE Georgia heat he was quickly trying to field dress the hog and did not think to look for the boolit.

Maybe I'll get to harvest game with one soon and can get a boolit for closer examination.

lwknight
10-05-2010, 07:08 PM
A little more tin could help the mushroom stay more unifoem and give a little deeper penetration if thats what you want.
You did not mention weight retention. If you have most f it then your doing about as good as it gets.