PDA

View Full Version : jaffles.

Four Fingers of Death
09-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Do you guys make jaffles? They are sandwiches made over the coals in a cast iron hinged holder which ends up like a little pie. Yummo! My mate who was in the Aussie Navy calls then sarnies. I'll post a pic when I get home.

They make great camp tucker.
Mick.

45 2.1
09-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Most of our pie irons are aluminum. We usually make fruit filled pies with ours. What do you put in yours?

MT Gianni
09-15-2006, 09:13 PM
You can find cast if you get lucky or look in the right spots. My wife calls them "poojie pies". We make hot ham and cheese as well as fruit pies. Gianni.

Dale53
09-16-2006, 12:46 AM
I discovered "Pie Irons" about 1964 or so. I picked them up in a discount camping store. Mine are sheet metal with long handles for campfire use. Mostly, we have used buttered white bread with a tablespoon of "Mighty-Fine" pie filling inside. They are scrumptous indeed!! Of course, they can be used for sandwiches, also.

Incidentally, they also work on Coleman stoves. We have also worked out new recipes on the kitchen electric range.

I have used them on many canoeing and kayaking trips as well as car camping. You will definitely be a popular fellow if you break these out on a canoe trip.

Dale53

Lee
09-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Western Pa. in the early '60's. Locally they were called "mountain pie" irons then.
Cast aluminum.. Mine says "Campers Pie Chef" on one side. "C. Palmer Mfg. Inc. West Newton Pa." on the other,
Inside edges have a crimp pattern which seals the "pie" shut.

White bread
Butter inside and out (margarine if you must)

Any kind of fruit pie filling (apple, cherry, peach, blueberry, etc)
pizza sauce from a can,pepperoni,mozzarella cheese
cooked bacon, raw egg, american cheese
all of the above are good fillings

campfire in the coals, turn often and doesn't take long
coleman stove(mentioned in other post), turn often
kitchen stove(mentioned in other post), turn often

These puppies come out hotter than Hades on the inside. You WILL be advised to nibble slowly around the edges until the pies cool down. Hah! That's if you can resist. They are GOOD!!

Haven't used mine in a couple years now. Gettin' to be that time of year, got a big pile of brush/etc out back to burn. Got me to thinkin............
Big bowl of Waksupi's Posole from a Dutch oven over the coals, and a mountain pie for dessert. Life can be good..........Lee:)

Junior1942
09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
This topic reminded me that I own a pie iron. In my case, mine's a pie aluminum. I'm taking it with me tent camping in a little over two weeks from today. So. . . how 'bout some recipes, guys?

Looking at Lee's post could you just pour one beaten egg over one of the bread slices and end up with a toasted scrambled egg sandwich?

Also, can you buy small sizes of pie fillings? Any ideas of single serving stuff to put between the bread slices?

C1PNR
09-19-2006, 02:43 PM
I see they're still available and, if you insist, in cast iron!:castmine:

http://www.cpalmermfg.com/oudoorproducts/st.htm

Pretty nifty products.

Lee
09-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Junior1942, yep you got the idea. You can also make up like an omelet, green pepper/onion/whatever beaten into the egg. Or just a "sunny side up" variation of "toad in a hole". Takes a little experimentation, and the eggs continue to cook in the iron after removed from the fire. Although it takes a lot of work to really burn one. Once the iron will open up w/o effort, you can continue to cook and check the outside surface of pie for doneness without char. Whatever you fill 'em with, be careful. The innards are "steamin" HOT.

browned ground meat/taco or salsa sauce/cheddar cheese/jalapeno pepper rings
(if you like Mexican......)

ham and cheese is good also

Now I've not tried it,(yet), but I'll bet a can of Chili would make an interesting filling. Or a can of beef stew/beefaroni/spaghettios ready to heat and eat. Just spoon onto the bread, close and cook....

Don't know where you might find small containers of pie filling. Perhaps small fruit jam/jelly/marmelade jars?? But if there's anybody around when you're cookin' these, you'll have NO trouble giving them away..............

I also installed a "hook and eye" latch on the end of the handles on mine. It keeps it closed when it should be, just a personal preference. (That might be standard issue on later model irons! From the looks of the picture on the Palmer web site(thanks C1PNR) they DO have some sort of latch... And Teflon coated irons too!!!!)

Those contemplating purchase would do well to consider the iron one. I'm on my second aluminum one. The first succumbed to an overdose of demon rum and a hot fire.............................................. ..............Lee:)

Four Fingers of Death
09-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Slice of bacon fried, an egg cracked into one and some baked beans (Texas Raspberries!) in the other, now thats a breakfast. Tinned spagetti is ok too. bit of stew or curry, cooked at home or out of a tin. You are only limited by your imagination with these suckers, Mick.

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2006, 12:14 PM
mick,

What is up with Brits and Aussies eating BEANS for breakfast? I see the Brits on our base here doing that every day and I don't know how you do that! My poor stomach ain't ready for that kind of gas source so early in the day...

Four Fingers of Death
09-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Man, I go bush hunting and I carry baked beans. Good to eat hot or cold. Mick.

kodiak1
09-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Beans a staple of life just like wiener's. Roast a dog over a open fire, hell to me that's as good as a steak. Don't know why but I just love roasted hotdogs mmgood.
Ken

Bodydoc447
09-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Wayne,

I first had exposure to beans for breakfast went I went TDY to RAF Akritiri. Their mess had tomatoes and beans for breakfast. So when in Rome (or Cyprus)..... Turns out to be danged good. Never had kippers for brekfast before either. Still have them on ocassion. Like when the wife and kids are out of town. Give it a try you might be surprised at how tasty they are for an eye opener.

Doc

Wayne Dobbs
09-26-2006, 12:29 PM
When I first got here, my first living spot had sliced tomatoes for breakfast and I, being a good Texas boy, wore them out. I love beans, but just can't choke them down for breakfast yet!