PDA

View Full Version : New toy!

Josh Smith
09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Hello,
Hello,

I was out looking to do some trading today.

I had in mind a .410 double shotty, but anything that caught my eye would work.

Wound up with this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Muzzleloading/CVA1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Muzzleloading/CVA2close.jpg

I've never owned a muzzleloader before. This one was used, but aside from a bit of rust, looked good.

I would have liked to have had a wooden stock and a lefty action, but for the deal I couldn't pass it up. Besides the rifle, I got 200 percussion caps, an unopened container of Shockey's Gold Sticks (the man said they wouldn't work in a sidelock, but they seem to function just fine), and 60 saboted 99% pure lead bullets.

I took it out and shoved one of the powder sticks down the tube after verifying there wasn't a charge in it already. Then I put a wad in it.

Checking for function before live ammo is used is a priority for me.

The cap went "pop" and the main charge didn't light. At this point I was thinking "****, the guy was right." I tried a few more primers to to avail.

Decided to take a pick to the nipple again, and I paid closer attention. It didn't seem to go all the way through. Hmmm...

So the nipple came off. It was clogged with rust. I mean, it looked like somebody had poured iodine in there.

I had to use a drill and actual bit to get it out.

So I went back out, put the nipple back on, primed it, and the charge went "POOF!"

Awesomeness.

So this time I tried an actual bullet.

"BOOM!" Nice kick, about like a light 20 gauge, if that.

It's a 1:48" twist, so I'll probably just end up making some cotton patches and using .452" bullets I cast for my 1911 in this thing. They should work just fine on deer if I go this season.

I'd like to shoot balls, and though I know it won't be as accurate as a slower twist, I figure I'll experiment.

Should be fun!

Josh

mooman76
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
You didn't say what kind it was but it looks like a CVA. 1-48 twist is ideal in the 50. You can shoot RBs and conicals just fine. It should shoot RBs real well with that twist. You may not be able to push them as hard as with a slower twist but plent good for deer. I haven't shot shockys gold but haven't heard allot good about it especially in the sticks. Loose powder is better for accuracy and I like it better anyway. Cheaper and gives you more options. Glad you got a good deal and are happy with it.

Josh Smith
09-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Hello,

Took apart the entire action.

That has got to be THE single easiest lock to work on ever! And I thought the 1911 was easy! :D

The sear had been rubbing the inside plate, so I shimmed it just a wee bit. Worked beautifully.

I'm well aware this is rifle was originally $60 at Walmart or something, but those silly Spanish did something right: It's at least as well made as my Savage Mk II .22LR. The internals are right up there.

Thanks!

Josh

Josh Smith
09-23-2010, 07:26 PM
You didn't say what kind it was but it looks like a CVA. 1-48 twist is ideal in the 50. You can shoot RBs and conicals just fine. It should shoot RBs real well with that twist. You may not be able to push them as hard as with a slower twist but plent good for deer. I haven't shot shockys gold but haven't heard allot good about it especially in the sticks. Loose powder is better for accuracy and I like it better anyway. Cheaper and gives you more options. Glad you got a good deal and are happy with it.

I'm sorry I missed your post! Looks like we were posting about the same time.

It's a CVA Bobcat. Not a real expensive deal, but it works.

Thanks!

Josh

mooman76
09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I have several CVAs. I have one that they call a Deer Hunter. Why they named it that is beyond me as it is a .32. Bobcat would have made more sence. I also have a Mountain Stalker that is very similar to yours with the same twist. CVAs aren't the best but they are good starter guns and still good and fun to shoot. They have gotten better over the years. I picked up a few CVAs a few years ago cheap as they were closeouts. With the rust you mentioned I'd soak it down good inside with a good penitrating oil. Make sure you clean it out good and dry it afterward. I always pop a cap or two befor I load it to dry out the chamber. Another good thing to do I fould out is to store it muzzle down after you clean and oil it so excess oil will drain out.

10 ga
09-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Welcome. Sound like you have things moving forward and that is a OK gun. Way back had one for the extra "camp gun" in case somebody had a serious problen and needed an extra. It was awsome with 80 gr. BP and patched roundball. Only serious advice I'd give is lose the Shockeys/pioneer powder! Pyrodex, 777, or BP is better then that. It is notorious for undependability in our club. Many have tried it ande none like it. I prefer Swiss in BP then most any BP and if a sub then 777 or Pyrodex should be OK. Luck to you, 10

roverboy
09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
The Bobcat rifles are good rifles. My nephew has one just like yours and its a good shooter. He shoots 80 gr. Goex 2f with a T/C 350 gr. Maxi-Hunter.