PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Cast Bullet Book

dromia
09-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Anyone got a revised publication date for the new fourth edition yet, their deadline seems to have slipped a tad.

lgsracer
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Sinclair is saying mid November, just got off the phone with them.

dromia
09-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks.

Rocky Raab
09-22-2010, 03:01 PM
My source at Lyman says they'll be sending out review copies to writers soon now, with full release very soon after.

The delay was due to some nitpicking OSHA types who found "problems" with their facilities. Fixing them, arranging for re-inspection, actually GETTING the re-inspection and bureaucratic hem-hawing before an okay was issued caused the delay. All good to go, now. At last.

Hardcast416taylor
09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
A month ago the gal I talked to on the customer assistance line at Lyman said mid-October they should be showing up at stores.Robert

Dale53
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I must admit that I have been interested in the new (4th Edition) for some time. I have practically worn my 3rd Edition to the bone (covers falling off, etc). I want to see what the new one looks like (and am willing to buy one to look).

I have had it on the "watch" list for several months. It's good to hear that it is in the pipeline.

Dale53

dromia
09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks, so November looks realistic then.

izzyjoe
09-24-2010, 11:14 PM
awhile back i was going to buy the 3rd. eds., but i'm glad i did'nt! can't hardly wait.

Dale53
09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
izzyjoe;
The 3rd Edition would be well worth it for you to have, also. It is FULL of good stuff.

FWIW
Dale53

NVcurmudgeon
09-25-2010, 12:10 AM
awhile back i was going to buy the 3rd. eds., but i'm glad i did'nt! can't hardly wait.

Izzy, old Lyman cast bullet and loading manuals have a way of becoming treasures. I have all three of the cast bullet books and nearly all of the loading manuals back to 1957. Just this month I got some good loads from a 1970 Lyman publication for my .32/20. Very accurate, mild pressures and a lot more skookum than the lawyer recommendations of today.

jlchucker
09-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I see a picture and an ad for it in the Midsouth catalog that I just received--but haven't ordered one yet. Next time I order something from Midsouth I'll ask if they've got them yet.

fryboy
09-26-2010, 11:13 AM
the sad part is that it has been put off time and time again for the better part of this year [bummer]

rollmyown
10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Is there much difference besides load data in the different editions? I've never looked at a copy. Is it worth getting the 3rd (or earlier) edition with the new edition not far away?

azcruiser
10-20-2010, 04:28 PM
You can always email Lyman or call customer service ask for Karen Griffin her husband is Tom he's the EDITOR fro the 49 reloading handbook -think she is in charge of customer service there a Lyman

rollmyown
10-20-2010, 05:11 PM
OK, but is the current edition worth having if I plan to get the 4th edition? In other words is each edition different enough to justify spending the money on both?

Dale53
10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
rollmyown,
This is JUST opinion (none of us has seen the Fourth Edition).

The Third Edition is an EXCELLENT cast bullet reloading manual - just flat EXCELLENT! It is worth having on it's own merits. I have about worn mine out (the covers have worn away).

I will buy the Fourth Edition when it is available. Will it be good? I hope so but don't KNOW so. Mike Venturino is the Editor of the new Fourth Edition. Mike is a VERY reliable feller (doesn't know how to lie) but tends to be very conservative. That's not always bad, however, I hope that they have retained "Ruger Only" loads in the .45 Colt section. I have found that type of information very helpful.

I would also like to see heavy bullet (250 gr Keith, as an example) +P loads for the .45 Auto Rim for use only in late model S&W Model 25's and 625's but don't expect to see it.

FWIW
Dale53

rollmyown
10-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Cheers Dale, I'll take your strong endorsement on board!

dromia
10-20-2010, 05:44 PM
rollmyown,
This is JUST opinion (none of us has seen the Fourth Edition).

The Third Edition is an EXCELLENT cast bullet reloading manual - just flat EXCELLENT! It is worth having on it's own merits. I have about worn mine out (the covers have worn away).
Dale53

Dale is correct there and the previous two are well worth having as well. Nothing is perfect but everything conributes some thing even if its aunt Sallys' to be knocked down.

The fourth edition will no doubt have its faults too but for me it will be a must buy.

It will be interesting to see how much of the practical knowledge and "established" thinking that Cast Boolits has challenged and developed will be reflected in the new edition.

Each pubilcation tracks the evolution and development of cast boolits and as such are of historical as well as practical importance.

mroliver77
10-20-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm betting same ole same ole.
Jay

dromia
10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Nice to see you've got a positive and optimistic outlook on things there Jay. :-D

RayinNH
10-20-2010, 09:55 PM
At least it will be dealing with some of the new powders that are around.It's also supposed to include selected molds from other manufacturers as well. Of course if they don't publish it soon these new powders will be old as well...Ray

mroliver77
10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
"Nice to see you've got a positive and optimistic outlook on things there Jay."

I was raised to " Wish in one hand and chit in the other and see which is filled first."
I'll try to put on a brave smile. ;)
Jay