PDA

View Full Version : ingot question/ help

Gun Nut
09-22-2010, 02:34 AM
I see alot of you guys using muffin pans, so i went to wal-mart and was looking for one but they are all non stick. Can you just burn the coating off or what? I heard they get stuck really bad if you just pour melt in to new pans? By the way they had one that had 12 cavities and each one was a perfect 3'' cube, wich would store and stack and would probaly weigh 1# to 1- 1 1/2 pounds, the cost 9 bucks! Any ideas? Thanks guys

runfiverun
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
don't get tin coated ones.
ones that will rust do best.
all i know about muffin things and lead.
i made mine from angle iron they stack better with less air space.

wwwwelcome to the forum.

Digger
09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes they do work ....I have two of them and they pour out to about a nice two pounds apiece .... and stack okay , I burned off the non-stick with a propane torch first , don't breath the fumes .
Not as durable as a nice iron mold but will do ..until you can obtain some good ones
digger

RP
09-22-2010, 09:14 PM
the best are aluim ones dont make them anymore but the second hand store has them from time to time, well the cast iron are the best but heck find one. I like the 6 muffin ones but moved to angle iron ingot mould. I got some of the nostick smuted the heck out of them and still tried to stick.

Gun Nut
09-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you.
THIS SITE IS WHAT THE INTERNET WAS CREATED FOR!!!

cheese1566
09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I found some mini-muffins in my kitchen. I had to get new ones first as she grimaced when I was eyeballing them. Fair enough...but I got stuck with the old ones.

I use coated mini-muffin pans that I first sandblasted to bare metal steel(in an enclosed cabinet of course). My first batch of smelting went ok. The second run had some solder themselves in the pan. Must have been too hot.

I got the stuck ones out, re-sandblasted, then left them outside to rust up. No problems now and they drop free. I use large muffin pans to.

Just be careful that the regular or large muffin pans will fit in your melter. I had to only fill my large muffin pans half full so they fit in my Lee 10 pot. The larger sizes seem to fit my Lee 20 pounder OK.

Mini-muffin sized are nice as they quickly cool while production smelting, and will fit most melters. Mine come out around 10 ounces, but can be a pain for storage.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-22-2010, 10:45 PM
If you have an Agri Supply nearby try http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=63530&sid=&eid= work great, I have 4 so far. They dump easy.

Sam :D

mac1911
09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
also try restraunt supply houses that have used equipment. I found some great heavy duty alluminum pans. Also found a great stainless steel bench 10' long for CHEAP Stupid cheap.

lwknight
09-23-2010, 12:16 AM
The non stick muffin and bread pans work great. They are usually heavier than the tin coated stuff.
New non stick pans need to be burned thoroughly or you will get fugly ingots for awhile till the coating cooks off.
I just burned them on the turkey fryer burner .

Le Loup Solitaire
09-23-2010, 12:40 AM
In the Walmart Kitchen gadget section you will find "condiment cups".. They come in little stacks of 4. They are stainless steel so lead will not stick to them...ever. So there is no dancing around the bonfire and waiting for them to rust or cooking them with flamethrowers to burn off any coatings. Each one will hold a pound or 1.5 pounds of lead. The set will run you all of 97 cents. If you buy 5 sets for a grand total of $4.85 you will have the capacity to pour 20 ingots in one run and in an hour or so you can make a lot of ingots. An ordinary set of pliers is all that is needed to turn each one over to dump the ingot. When its all over you can stack the empty cups in one little pile that doesn't take up any more room than a stack of poker chips. No sticking of anything, no pounding, no fumes, just ingots. LLS

woodyubet
09-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I use the stainless steel condament cups from walmart......4 for 97 cents.