PDA

View Full Version : Bananna gun

abunaitoo
09-15-2006, 01:45 AM
Happened this weekend at the range. 300win mag. No one got hurt.

rvpilot76
09-15-2006, 03:10 AM
OUCH! Looks to me like an obstruction right at the muzzle brake with the way that the threads on the brake were split. Anyone else here want to guess?

Kevin

abunaitoo
09-15-2006, 04:38 AM
I was not there to see this happen. I was told that the guy had just cleaned the barrel befor the banana happened.
Theroy is that the jag un-screwed itself, and was in the barrel. Happened to me a few times. Jag, not the banana. I always check the barrel after cleaning.
If it didn't have the muzzle break on, it would have split just like in the cartoons.
Good news is no one got hurt.

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Did that with a .22 insert for my H&R BC at our .22 long range shoot this year. Had about <10 shots through it, wasn't getting ANY accuracy and pulled it out. Then I seen why...nice "hole" (with a about 1/2 of a bullet still in the split) about 3" from the muzzle end of the insert. Still haven't quite figured out what actually happened.

Thankfull nothing was hurt in the H&R barrel, just had extra cleaning up to do.:(

versifier
09-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Abunaitoo,
See if he will donate it to your local Hunter Ed group. We're always looking for good examples to make our students aware of what happens when there is a bore obstruction. If they aren't interested, we'd happily pay shipping if the owner is amenable. There's nothing like the look on a kid's face when (s)he's holding a blown up gun in hand and the realization of the energy involved and the consequences sinks in. Our example is an old 12GA side by each that had a 20Ga shell loaded in front of a 12 and touched off. Rifles like that one are a lot more dramatic and priceless as teaching aides.

West Creek
09-15-2006, 01:45 PM
they werent using bannana oil to clean it were they??